PDA

View Full Version : northern lakes

grizz7777
03-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Heading up to Lac Le Biche next week,wondering if anyone has been up to Heart or square lake's,need to know how deep ice is,whether or not to take an extension for auger,and how the access is for driving on the lake's[how much snow] any info would be appreciated.
thank's in advance
Grizz

kreator
03-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Haven't tried Heart Lake this winter, but have been to Square a couple times. I caught 0 Pike at Square in two visits, and my buddy got 1. I talked with a guy who had been there for a few hours with his sons, and they had about 8 tip ups set up with no hits on them. It's sort of a touchy lake in the first place, but I honestly believe the high water levels have had a negative impact on the fish.

The ice on most of the lakes is very thick, and on LLB last weekend my auger finally broke through with about 3 inches to spare. There is a lot of snow, and it would be tough to drive unless you are on trails. I would just suggest the causeway on LLB, as there is a plowed trail on the lake for a few hundred yards.

grizz7777
03-12-2009, 02:31 PM
appreciate the info
Grizz

Lantzd
03-12-2009, 09:39 PM
sledded out to winefred lake three days ago and there is alot of snow there and i had to put my exstension on for sure and still barely got through the ice,,, if your goin as far as laclabiche you should continue to winefred lake east of conklin,, they dont call it a walleye trophy lake for nothing,,,

tbosch
03-13-2009, 07:48 AM
X2 on winefred. Also I'm wondering if the lakers would be hitting now over at grist?

imhungry
03-13-2009, 09:14 AM
I was at heart 2 times this year and we ended up getting half our limits both times. The keepers were 65-70cm and nice and thick, but we caught a few that were really skinny. I have noticed we have been catching more and more like that over the years. The action was very slow and to catch what we did we had to stay all day 8:30-5.

The snow was horendous and the flood water was quite consistent accross the lake. We had sleds and were breaking through a lot. We could not fish our regular spots since we did nto want to stand in 10" water all day. That is what I know about Heart. If I here any more I will PM you.