PDA

View Full Version : Cold lake

gazin16
03-12-2009, 10:47 AM
anyone have any reports. i was out there last saturday and the trail was not to bad. just curious if its all drifted in or not

kreator
03-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I was going to post a new thread, but I guess I'll just "piggyback" on this one (sorry, don't want to hijack it). I'd like to try Cold Lake for the first time. I take it the place to go is out from the provincial park? How far do you have to go out? Can I do it in my midsize Toyota Tacoma?

tyee33
03-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Was out today, had plans on fishing around Garnet beach, chained up all 4 tires on my Cummins, got about 400m from the provincial park and sank in 3 ft of drifted snow, looks like the season for driving on the lake with a vehicle may be over, spent 2+ hours of digging myself out in the sun. Snow is drifted right across the trail that was there last week, no sign of it.Too bad, -6 today and beautiful.There are a few huts out and a packed trail to them, also seen a few people fishing for perch yesterday but NO trail out for lakers.Heard the perch are in shallow but I personally prefer to C/R lakers and thought the chains would get me out there, snow is just too deep and drifted everywhere.If you have a sled and plan on fishing up here, my suggestion is to bring it, a quad will just break through the crusted snow and hang up, trust me I tried.Oh, how I tried!!!!!

gazin16
03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
im sure hoping someone will break trail by saturday..lol

tyee33
03-12-2009, 03:28 PM
only thing getting out there to bust a trail is a D-9, thought the Cummins could do it, especially chained up, not even close.Diffs were just plowing and hung up to the frame with hard packed snow.

Albertabowhunter
03-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Some warmer weather may settle the snow, allowing easier access.

spudislander
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
I was out this afternoon. The trail is good from the boat launch in the park. I think someone plowed it.

Teamprotz
03-17-2009, 11:51 AM
AND . . . . how was fishing ?

spudislander
03-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I knew someone would ask, I got skunked. Two hours and not a bite.