PDA

View Full Version : Skaha lake, Penticton

trigger7mm
07-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Going to Penticton this week. Has anyone ever caught any fish from shore, or at the marina there? Thank you!

Red Bullets
07-18-2016, 09:12 PM
If you drive to the south end of the lake to Okanagan Falls you can fish from shore for bass. There is a park you can park at(Kenyon Park) and a short 5 minute walk to the west where the old trestle and the Kettle Valley trail starts. You can fish along the river to the south too.

Casting into the lake with a good old red devil spoon , 00 len thompson, might catch you a kokanee or trout. Fast surface bass hooks in summer.

I only caught trout in Skaha when trolling deeper.

bucksman
07-20-2016, 05:51 PM
i caught smallmouths from my buddies deck a couple years ago, pretty easy to catch them, they like to bury themselves in the weeds once hooked though so that was tricky. the edge of any drop off or weed bed was where they were

boonedocks
07-20-2016, 08:02 PM
Any tips on what to use for tackle from shore?! I'm headed there in the first week of August and would love to catch my first bass!

Red Bullets
07-20-2016, 11:35 PM
Any tips on what to use for tackle from shore?! I'm headed there in the first week of August and would love to catch my first bass!

I used spinner baits with blades, rubbertail jigs and surface popping plugs.
Make sure you use good fishing line.

This website sums up what hooks to use...
http://bestbassfishinglures.com/

Good luck on your first bass, any many more to follow. You can also fish from shore along East Side road south from Penticton. It follows along the east shore of Skaha to Okanagan Falls.

CBintheNorth
07-22-2016, 08:15 AM
As a kid we use to go there and stay at the Beachcomber campground. doubt it's even there anymore....
Anyway, there was a channel that ran adjacent to the campground and flow into Skaha and we use to fish with pickerel rigs to catch squaw fish on the concrete steps beside that channel. Tons of fun. Some over 5lbs too. May be irrelevant now, as this was over 30yrs ago.

AlbertanGP
07-22-2016, 12:02 PM
The squawfish are still there. Caught a few last year while bass fishing.

rem338win
07-22-2016, 12:48 PM
I fished there once, and ripped large rooster tail spinners and a bright green popper. Either worked, but the popper was the most fun.

SamSteele
07-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Could check out Vaseux Lake as well. It's a small, no motors, lake with large and small mouth bass in it. We were out there last year about this time and my son and I both caught a few small largemouth bass on Rattlin' Raps.

Apparently there is a population of rattlesnakes on the north shore of the lake so be careful if you are going to shore fish there.

SS