PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun Wednesday

mooseknuckle
03-12-2009, 11:05 AM
No Trophies but I always enjoy when others post their pics. It was a little cold wednesday morning but hey it was either this or work.... not a hard decision. In total we caught about about 12 pike from 9am to 2pm mostly 2's and 3's however my buddy hooked a decent 8lber. Enjoy.

Morph1
03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
yeah there are gators there but what is the point of weighing that ?
it's a c&r lake, less handling dude especially in the cold weather ...

dave_ca
03-12-2009, 03:05 PM
what a joke weighing thoes fish, that looks really good

mooseknuckle
03-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey it's important. We fire these suckers out of a home made cannon it's absolutely crusual to know the weight in order to gauge the proper amount of fuel required to get them to 300 yards. Kidding of course. It was a first time catch for a couple of these fella's they wanted to know weight. Why not these fish were out 10-15 secs tops! I'll be sure to pass along your negaitve comments and "fishing ethics" to my pals. I just thought I'd share. You sure know how to make a guy feel welcome on forum ment for Hunters/Fisherman sharing a nice day out enjoying the sport.

The Fish King
03-12-2009, 03:37 PM
hey man if you weigh em you weigh em. If i dont go out for a while and go catch a few I always take a whole bunch of pics. No different if you take the extra second to put em on a scale. Good fish man. It looks like you guys had a fun day. Im hopin to get out there as well. Nothin like rippin up a pike every 10 mins. haha I love seeing those tip up flags fly!!

hal53
03-12-2009, 03:43 PM
yeah there are gators there but what is the point of weighing that ?
it's a c&r lake, less handling dude especially in the cold weather ...
here we go again with the "holier than thou" crowd....that is a little better than everyone else.....sheesh!!!!!!.....give us a friggin' break!!!!....BTW, nice fish...great you had the gumption to go out in that weather, rather than sit on your A***....and slag anybody that did......

Morph1
03-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Well sorry :cry:, lets try this again,
Those are absolutely monster trophy slough sharks , damn I wasn't aware that Wab holds such large specimen , are you sure that fish has not top the scale or break it in this case ???
next time hook your crew up with a big enough stationary scales just in case
your boys pull one just like it .

Just kidding,

Great catch - CONGRATULATIONS - well done :lol:
damn is that Alberta Pike Record ? :D :evilgrin:

Walleyes
03-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Looks like you guys had a fun day out there,,thanks for sharing it with us..

seahawkfisher
03-12-2009, 10:49 PM
the fact that wab is a c&r lake is a joke (not that weighing a fish has anything to do with that [especially @ wab])
what are you guys worried about when it comes to a lower than average pike at wab (no offence MN) is it going to affect the population of big pike "worth" (in your eyes) catching? remember, it's c&r so no fish are leaving to make room in the chain for the smaller ones to grow...

congrats on having some fun on the ice MN; wish i could drop work to go fishing

steve
03-13-2009, 03:11 AM
nice fish thanks for posting em

Raven
03-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Yup wab is a joke now. The pin-heads who are in charge of the limits there really screwed up...more worried about saving CN's ass after CN paid them to close it than having a healthy fishery. Bye bye Wab, in 5 years it will be like Lac St anne but instead of walleye it will be pike. Whoever says they actually closed it because of the whitefish and pike numbers were down give your heads a shake, I saw and caught more 10-13 inch whites (and 13+) in Wabamun last year than I ever have. Same goes for perch and pike. Just another example of how our government doesn't know sweet **** all!

bunnyhunter
03-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Well sorry :cry:, lets try this again,
Those are absolutely monster trophy slough sharks , damn I wasn't aware that Wab holds such large specimen , are you sure that fish has not top the scale or break it in this case ???
next time hook your crew up with a big enough stationary scales just in case
your boys pull one just like it .

Just kidding,

Great catch - CONGRATULATIONS - well done :lol:
damn is that Alberta Pike Record ? :D :evilgrin:

NICE...

lovely to see the new fishers get &^&* on. yet again.:rolleye2:

why do I bother! oh wait... I love to see a new fisher catch a fish they are proud of....who cares if it not a trophy.

NICE PICS OF PEOPLE ENJOYING THE SPORT:wave:. and wabumun..sure it should be a fishers choice ...no different than drinking or having tobacco....maybe it will kill ya, maybe it wont. guess the government doesnt trust the average joe to limit eating these fish. go figure.

KyleM
03-13-2009, 09:00 PM
here we go again with the "holier than thou" crowd....that is a little better than everyone else.....sheesh!!!!!!.....give us a friggin' break!!!!....BTW, nice fish...great you had the gumption to go out in that weather, rather than sit on your A***....and slag anybody that did......

It has nothing to do with being "holier than thou" :rolleye2:

It has to do with letting someone know it wasnt appropriate.

If he didnt know, he does now.
Fish scales like that should be outlawed, there are much better ways to get it done.

Congrats to your buddies on their first fish.

moosehunter3-0
03-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Ive caught pike that had gills hanging out of there gill plates from another experience (my hooks were no where near the gills) so if they can survive that a scale wont hurt them LOL give me a break this is why people need to stop posting pics on here, I posted the 2 decent pike I caught in Feb on my other forums and not one negative comment!! What a breath of fresh air :lol:

KyleM
03-13-2009, 09:46 PM
You just assumed it lived, right?
It swam away so it must be ok :D

happy perch fisher
03-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Yup wab is a joke now. The pin-heads who are in charge of the limits there really screwed up...more worried about saving CN's ass after CN paid them to close it than having a healthy fishery. Bye bye Wab, in 5 years it will be like Lac St anne but instead of walleye it will be pike. Whoever says they actually closed it because of the whitefish and pike numbers were down give your heads a shake, I saw and caught more 10-13 inch whites (and 13+) in Wabamun last year than I ever have. Same goes for perch and pike. Just another example of how our government doesn't know sweet **** all!

Wow man you are so undereducated. Wabbum was doing good for a long time because everyone just thought it was polluted slew. Then the last 2 years people started finding out about the pike and masscuring them big girls. There where so many bait chuckers on shore keeping big pike everyday. There would be nothing left if they did not close it. It would be like almost every other lake if they didn't lots of small pike and nothing over 63 or whatever the size limit is. There is info damage already being caused by people who have no clue how to handle fish properly or just rip there 3 dollars hooks out. You sould give your own head a shake and look at other lakes around the city and see how there doing right now that are open for harvest. Lac ste anne got destroyed because they shut one spices of fish down and they left the other ones to be masscured. Wabbum was shut down completly. So the pike won't be able to gain control. Essciapally with all the guys that have no clue on how to handle them killing off a good portion every year.

Hey it's important. We fire these suckers out of a home made cannon it's absolutely crusual to know the weight in order to gauge the proper amount of fuel required to get them to 300 yards. Kidding of course. It was a first time catch for a couple of these fella's they wanted to know weight. Why not these fish were out 10-15 secs tops! I'll be sure to pass along your negaitve comments and "fishing ethics" to my pals. I just thought I'd share. You sure know how to make a guy feel welcome on forum ment for Hunters/Fisherman sharing a nice day out enjoying the sport.

Did you wieghing every small one you caught. Or just a couple. Because that just stupid wieghing every small one you caught. 10-15 second yah right man theres no way your that fast essicapally with rookies. Probably 2 minutes more with you taking the picture. That scale you have is worse piece of junk kind 2. Not only are they unaccurate as **** after a while. They also can do a ton of damage to there gills.

moosehunter3-0
03-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Well it was hooked in the corner of the mouth so the damage wasnt by the hook meaning it was in that condition before it bit my hook menaing it was alive to bite my hook

happy perch fisher
03-13-2009, 10:10 PM
NICE...

lovely to see the new fishers get &^&* on. yet again.:rolleye2:

why do I bother! oh wait... I love to see a new fisher catch a fish they are proud of....who cares if it not a trophy.

NICE PICS OF PEOPLE ENJOYING THE SPORT:wave:. and wabumun..sure it should be a fishers choice ...no different than drinking or having tobacco....maybe it will kill ya, maybe it wont. guess the government doesnt trust the average joe to limit eating these fish. go figure.

If they would trust the average joe nothing would be left. If they took all the restictions of wabbum and told people to make the right choice. People would wreck in a couple weeks keeping 14inch pike and whatever they can catch. Thats the sad fact is they cannot trust you to make the right choice. Sure people will-say they only haverst a couple fish a year. But in the next post they kept more then they said they had kept all of last year. Its a joke really.

Raven
03-13-2009, 10:32 PM
LOL! HPF i'm really "undereducated"....try spelling the friggin word right LOL! I would lay money on the fact your a 11 year old kid with nothing better to do than pretend your a biologist. You fail miserably.

First of all....you know nothing. Second of all...you think every single lake in alberta would be trashed in a matter of months if it was open. Why isn't gull trashed mr. smartass? This year has been the best for me out of 7 years fishing it. Wabamun is a huge lake, it will never get outfished. I'll have you know....Wabamun has been famous for big pike for years and YEARS..why you think it was somehow a huge secret that was 'released' to the public a couple years ago is beyond me. Just shows once again you know nothing. People have kept big pike from there forever, and they've never gone downhill. I have never gone a year without catching over 50 pike, over 12 pounds.

3rd of all, nobody would keep a 14 inch pike unless its for pike bait. It would never come to that if wabamun had a limit of 100 per day because of the trainwreck. The couple years just before the trainwreck were my best pike days (im talking about before the trainwreck, i've had some spectacular days as of late, only because I found a new area)..and people at that point were keeping huge pike for decades. You sound like a complete *******. Its almost like your trying to make yourself sound like a ******. If you are, good job cus you sure did.

4th of all, isn't it bed time? Dont worry about setting your alarm...daddy will wake you up so you can go out to Isle and chum fish illegally with eggs. Tard.

5th of all..people keeping big pike on shore would have probably a 5% impact on the rest of the fishery. Its a huge lake. If you give me the bull-ish about all the big girls go to the warm water, wrong. Just have to know how to fish them in normal water conditions on the rest of the lake..which you dont.

6th of all, scales do zero damage to gills if you know how to use it...which most people do.

7th of all, dont comment on lakes you cant even spell. Its W-a-b-a-m-u-n not Wabbum.

Good night kiddy.

BearnDown
03-13-2009, 10:53 PM
I would lay money on the fact your a 11 year old kid with nothing better to do than pretend your a biologist.

I would say it'd be a safe bet HPF is either a kid or a really drunk fella.......or a really drunk kid :lol::lol::lol:

big zeke
03-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Why do people let themselves get baited by HPF time and again. Clueless or not this guy (or gal I guess) is inflammatory.

It's a Friday night and I've been on the grape juice (shiraz I believe) since supper and I can see the flaws in the arguments...why are you folks getting sucked in by this fool?

They tend to go away if you ignore them.

Zeke

PS. I thought he was canned? How did HPF come back?

KyleM
03-13-2009, 11:27 PM
6th of all, scales do zero damage to gills if you know how to use it...which most people do.

Who said anything about damaging the gills? A large fish on a scale that shakes will do severe damage to its spine. Its a proven fact. A fish isnt built like a human, they are built to be under little gravity.

3rd of all, nobody would keep a 14 inch pike unless its for pike bait.

Do I need to comment on that? :scared:

Raven, whens the last time you fished outside Alberta?
Theres plenty of lakes that have been destroyed due to over fishing.
Wabamun is not as large as you think.

You sound just as childish, theres no need to go tossing around insults.

MrDave
03-13-2009, 11:34 PM
No Trophies but I always enjoy when others post their pics. It was a little cold wednesday morning but hey it was either this or work.... not a hard decision. In total we caught about about 12 pike from 9am to 2pm mostly 2's and 3's however my buddy hooked a decent 8lber. Enjoy.

At least you went out, unlike some of the weirdos on here who sit and try to make others wanna leave. Good catch.:wave:

Raven
03-13-2009, 11:38 PM
KyleM, I came from Ontario back in the day. I'm well aware. I am also aware Wabamun isn't Slave lake big, but its a big lake per number of anglers. Do you not agree? 90% of the lake doesn't even get fished. HPF*g said something about gills, I was commenting. I've never had a big fish flop while getting weighed...not that I weigh a lot of fish but you know what I mean. I guess its something your born with...the ability to not make a fish freak out? I know lakes have been destroyed, its very obvious. What I said was Wabamun is not one of those lakes, and never has been and never would have been if they left the limit open. Learn to read. I was joking about the pike bait, but my point was nobody would keep a 14 inch pike, it would be all bones. I'll toss insults (if you call it that, I call it facts) if I want thank you very much.

happy perch fisher
03-14-2009, 12:19 AM
LOL! HPF i'm really "undereducated"....try spelling the friggin word right LOL! I would lay money on the fact your a 11 year old kid with nothing better to do than pretend your a biologist. You fail miserably.

First of all....you know nothing. Second of all...you think every single lake in alberta would be trashed in a matter of months if it was open. Why isn't gull trashed mr. smartass? This year has been the best for me out of 7 years fishing it. Wabamun is a huge lake, it will never get outfished. I'll have you know....Wabamun has been famous for big pike for years and YEARS..why you think it was somehow a huge secret that was 'released' to the public a couple years ago is beyond me. Just shows once again you know nothing. People have kept big pike from there forever, and they've never gone downhill. I have never gone a year without catching over 50 pike, over 12 pounds.

3rd of all, nobody would keep a 14 inch pike unless its for pike bait. It would never come to that if wabamun had a limit of 100 per day because of the trainwreck. The couple years just before the trainwreck were my best pike days (im talking about before the trainwreck, i've had some spectacular days as of late, only because I found a new area)..and people at that point were keeping huge pike for decades. You sound like a complete *******. Its almost like your trying to make yourself sound like a ******. If you are, good job cus you sure did.

4th of all, isn't it bed time? Dont worry about setting your alarm...daddy will wake you up so you can go out to Isle and chum fish illegally with eggs. Tard.

5th of all..people keeping big pike on shore would have probably a 5% impact on the rest of the fishery. Its a huge lake. If you give me the bull-ish about all the big girls go to the warm water, wrong. Just have to know how to fish them in normal water conditions on the rest of the lake..which you dont.

7th of all, dont comment on lakes you cant even spell. Its W-a-b-a-m-u-n not Wabbum.

Good night kiddy.

Gull is getting trash maybe you . This is worse year i've seen it. I remeber catching tons of pike over 10 pounds 10 years ago now if you get one your lucky. Whitefish numbers are way way down from what they where. You use to be able to catch them 1 after another with just a plain hook and maggit. The burbots are getting masscured i've never seen so few on the camera as this year. I use to 400-500 of them a day now i'm seeing like 15-20. Just because gull isn't as bad as every where else does'nt mean that is isn't getting trashed.

Lol you actually think wabbum would'nt be fished out. Lol look around wabbum tell me which lake around it hasn't been overfished. What makes you think wabbum would be any different. Wabbum has only been producing because for last 15 years everyone has thought of it as a big dirty slew and the fish are full of mecurury. Then the discovery was made about the warm water canal. I've known about that for a long time. Very few people use to fish it. But then a couple of guys posted about out. Probably how you found out. Then the rush was on. There was hundreds of guys on shore nailing them and about 80percent where keeping them. There was 50-100 good size pike being harvested on certian days. Its went from being amazing fishery to just above average. Now the problem is all the guys that have no clue how handle these fish. If it would of went on for 3-4 or more years it would been destroyed. Also keeping huge pike does huge damage. Theres only so many big pike in wabbum and when there gone it takes years for them to come back.

People keep suckers. People even keep suckers out the of Fing nsr. I've seen people keep 12inch pike out of calling because they could. People keep 4 inch perch all the time 2. People will keep whatever they can if its legal.

Raven all you've down is post a bunch of bs without being able to back any of it up. Then you try to make yourself seem right by posting a bunch of insults and a bunch of stuff that does'nt even have anything to do with it. You say i'm a little immature kid that can spell. While i think you sould look at the posts there raven and see who the little kid making insults is because he has nothing else he can say. Also wow man i make a couple spelling mistakes in my post. Sorry if i didn't spend hours rereading it like you do. I think maybe you sould reread it some more first before you past judgement. Or do you just like talking about the trainwreck at wabamun.

happy perch fisher
03-14-2009, 12:33 AM
KyleM, I came from Ontario back in the day. I'm well aware. I am also aware Wabamun isn't Slave lake big, but its a big lake per number of anglers. Do you not agree? 90% of the lake doesn't even get fished. HPF*g said something about gills, I was commenting. I've never had a big fish flop while getting weighed...not that I weigh a lot of fish but you know what I mean. I guess its something your born with...the ability to not make a fish freak out? I know lakes have been destroyed, its very obvious. What I said was Wabamun is not one of those lakes, and never has been and never would have been if they left the limit open. Learn to read. I was joking about the pike bait, but my point was nobody would keep a 14 inch pike, it would be all bones. I'll toss insults (if you call it that, I call it facts) if I want thank you very much.

came from Ontario
This explains why your so clue less about alberta lakes. Theres a huge difference bewteen alberta and ontiario. Ontario has way way way more lakes per person. If a lake like slave can be overfished what chance does wabbum have. Slave went from being 24-28 walleye as the norm to 20inch ones being big ones and 22 being really big for there with most being around 17. It does'nt take genious to look around at every lake and figure what has happened.

Raven
03-14-2009, 03:14 AM
HPF your completely clueless. Gull is getting fished out? Learn how to fish maybe! People have had their best days on gull as of late, especially for big pike. I understand though, your a little kid, only get out when daddy takes you. I know more about fishing than you ever will. Yes I know the situation in Ontario and here, a lot better than you do. Your the biggest poacher i've heard of. The bull-ish you spew about releasing everything you catch? Ya right bro, you cant even fish without chumming the whole area with eggs. Way to go. As for your brutal spelling, has nothing to do with going back to check it...has to do with the fact your in grade 6. Wabbum isn't a typo, its you looking like a fool because you dont know ****! My suggestion is stay off the lakes because I know who you are and see where you fish. Wouldn't want barbed trebs snagging your tent only to see it go up in flames now would you. Tight Lines.

seahawkfisher
03-14-2009, 09:43 AM
not to get on the bash- HPF train again but people have been fishing that canal for longer than you have been alive. from the end of october to ice season, i fish wab more times per season than you fish in a year. in all of the times i have gone out there (and i'm talking about before they made it C&r) i would be fishing amongst many other anglers and would only ever see one group of people keeping fish. ironically it was always the same boat (not everyone) and they wouldn't even keep the big fish. they did nothing to the quallity of the fishery.
all of this is irrelevant if you do a little reserch into the history of the lake and where the name comes from; people have been pulling massive numbers of fish out of that lake since before this place was called canada. the name of the lake says it all. making it c&r will likely be the cause of a decline in that fishery
cheers

Guy Incognito
03-14-2009, 10:02 AM
happy perch fisher

Might I make a small suggestion, do yourself a favor and Spell Check your comments PRIOR to posting!

Anytime you are expressing your thoughts, opinions or theories, you are constantly misspelling words. Any argument you are trying to state loses all its legitimacy. In the same negative sense that fish die a horrible by having their guts pulled out by fishermen trying to retrieve their $3.00 hook……..your posts suffer the same fate!

I feel you bring up valid points which contribute to this forum, but they lose so much punch because the spelling is such a distraction. I am no Hemingway myself; I rely strongly on the power of my Word ‘Spell Check’ function. I am making the suggestion that you do the same.

Kindest regards,

RMK

KyleM
03-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Wabamun is a huge lake, it will never get outfished.

Seems I can read just fine.

I wont argue my point anymore as HPF ruins any chance of a civilized conversation on the subject.

hockeyfish
03-14-2009, 02:50 PM
ya, i've been seeing tons of whites at gull...and catching tons too

HPF, your dumb

pdfish
03-14-2009, 04:19 PM
not to get on the bash- HPF train again but people have been fishing that canal for longer than you have been alive. from the end of october to ice season, i fish wab more times per season than you fish in a year. in all of the times i have gone out there (and i'm talking about before they made it C&r) i would be fishing amongst many other anglers and would only ever see one group of people keeping fish. ironically it was always the same boat (not everyone) and they wouldn't even keep the big fish. they did nothing to the quallity of the fishery.
all of this is irrelevant if you do a little reserch into the history of the lake and where the name comes from; people have been pulling massive numbers of fish out of that lake since before this place was called canada. the name of the lake says it all. making it c&r will likely be the cause of a decline in that fishery
cheers

Exactly, I've been fishing the warm water canal for at least 15 years now and the fishing is better than ever. HPF, your claims about there being hundreds of guys on shore...can I please get some of whatever you're smoking...I've fished that canal lots and the most I've ever seen is maybe 16-20 anglers. I was willing to give you a chance, but after your comments on Pigeon (or lack of comments on Pigeon), about you knowing things that SRD doesn't but you don't want to share your thoughts because you don't want people to know...get real. If you knew half as much as you think you do, you wouldn't be complaining about the fishing, you'd be out there catching fish and having fun.

Morph1
03-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Dude there is no problem of you catching a small pike and posting a pic , nothing wrong with it !!!!, but the day you were catching those fish it was -30 celcius not concidering the wind chill factor !!! I could imagine must've been like - 40 at times , it is absolutely essential to handle a fish in those conditions the least you can and that is the problem,
not you're enjoying yourself catching a few gators and I just wanted to point out in a friendly manner that it makes absolutely no sense in weighing those fish in that cold, you can simply guesstimate how much they weigh by looking at it. So chill out and enjoy this forum , after all we all by law can comment and converse about anything we want in a humanly manner :D

To the guys that claim that the fishing had been better than in the past lol, boys you gotta get out at least more than once to compare what the fishing was like 10 - 5 years ago and now,
just because you went out once and were caught in a fish feeding frenzy and caught numerous 4- 5 pound jacks on one occasion does not mean that the fishing will be like that all the time :)

I fish the season at least 2 - 3 times a week I used to catch at least 3 to 4 x the amount of fish I caught last season and I arrive at the lake at 4:00 am in the morning to make sure I won't miss much of the first action, I have noticed a great change in fishing quality from even 5 years back as to what it's become !!!

Cheers ! have a cold one .....
and HPF is right about lots of things - fishing is not the same anymore as it used to be.

JohninAB
03-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Raven, best you check into some lakes and their fates when it came to fishing and changes to the limits. Maybe check into the walleye fishery at Long Lake near Boyle. What did it take, 3 months to clean that lake out of walleyes over the limit size. That is proven by surveys conducted on the lake. Little bit more scientific than your ramblings. Maybe also check out Iosegun Lake near Fox Creek.

Wabamun would not survive a full blown open season very long. Fishing pressure would go way up and the consequences would be disastrous at best for the long range sustainability of the fishery. That has been proven time and time again at our lakes here in Alberta when fishing regulations have become more liberal in terms of retaining fish. Maybe it is time to leave the fishery closed and let it develop and grow and then maybe in a few years reopen it for a limited catch and retain program.

Our lakes in this province are under tremendous fishing pressure and unless we have a mass exodus of people it is only going to get worse.

As for the original post, when it is that cold out, fish can be terminally affected by being out of the water for any length of time. Best to release as soon as possible to ensure the fish lives to fight another day. Also what Kyle stated about weighing big fish, it is proven fact that damage to their spines is prevalent and though released seemingly healthy, that they do not survive as the damage has been done. I am sure the fishermen in question meant no harm but having these things pointed out should also not be seen as nitpicking or the holier than thou type attitude, just some gentlemen passing along information that can help save our fisheries here in the province. I would also agree though, that delivery of that message has to be done in a way that is informative and non-judgemental.

My 2 cents worth.

PS: nice fish guys and congrats on the day of fishing!

Raven
03-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Morph..I would completely roast you any day at fishing, hands down. I fish both days of the weekend every weekend and sometimes week days. Haven't missed a weekend yet this ice season or last open water season. My personal bests this season if you care to know are pike: 16 one day, biggest 25 pounds...whitefish: 17 one day, biggest 23.5 inches...perch un-countable, lets just say 20 one day over 12 inches and walleye: 12 one day biggest 8 pounds. Perhaps you have to learn different ways of fishing instead of trying the same hole on the same lake with the same equipment time after time.

John - How big is long lake? I would lay money on the fact its quite small. So back to the question I asked before...why is Gull the best its been in years? It has a 'full blown open season" and just keeps getting better.

"Wabamun would not survive a full blown open season very long. Fishing pressure would go way up and the consequences would be disastrous at best for the long range sustainability of the fishery." Oh sooooooo wrong. Are you aware that Wabamun has been 'a full blown season' for decades now? They just closed it this year. Why has it always had huge pike and un-countable whitefish? By the way you talk you dont sound like you fish Wabamun a lot.

Tight lines.

JohninAB
03-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Raven, you never know, I may fish it more than you do.

You sure have a high opinion of yourself but then again maybe that is the only positive opinion anyone has of you so guess it is better than none. People who come on here spouting off they can outfish everyone in Alberta are usually wannabes who are talking big to try and impress everyone but most on here see thru it.

Wabamun is not a very big lake, maybe you should get out into the real world and actually go to a big lake. Maybe one day stop patting yourself on the back and venture to a few different lakes. Size of lake is one thing, habitat and forage within that lake is what will determine the fishery more than anything else though.

As you are such the knowledgable man on Wabamun, what is the age class structure like for the pike there? After the train wreck, has the age classes since then been typical or have they changed? Has the spawning survival stayed consistent since the train wreck or has it changed? Our population in Alberta has grown significantly the past few years, how has this affected number of fishermen/day on Wabamun? Do you have statistical data to back up your assertions? As you seem to know so much about the lake, what have your creel surveys indicated for the last 5 years?

I mean answer those questions with some documented proof and SRD will surely reopen the lake and give you a big thank you.

KyleM
03-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Raven, stop tooting your own horn. Your giving us guys from Ontario a bad name. Mr weekend warrior LOL or Raven as your known, if you had fished many of the lakes in Ontario back in the day then you have a lot to learn. Many of the Southern Ontario lakes are now overfished and lacking any sustainability over the next 5 years because the government refuses to close them. Trust me, I would know, I lived and fished on one of the larger ones for 20 plus years.

You will gradually see Alberta take the same path if measures are not taken.
With the major increase in the population you will slowly see these lakes decline if the government does not get their act together and introduce some rotating slot limits.

If some of you guys want to start treating your fisheries the same way we treat the oil in this province, we're all in for a big suprise in 15 years when the lakes have zero sustainability without the helping hand of big brother stocking our lakes every year. It would be a shame to see it come to that so lets be a little proactive now and steer the boat in the right direction.

happy perch fisher
03-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Morph..I would completely roast you any day at fishing, hands down. I fish both days of the weekend every weekend and sometimes week days. Haven't missed a weekend yet this ice season or last open water season. My personal bests this season if you care to know are pike: 16 one day, biggest 25 pounds...whitefish: 17 one day, biggest 23.5 inches...perch un-countable, lets just say 20 one day over 12 inches and walleye: 12 one day biggest 8 pounds. Perhaps you have to learn different ways of fishing instead of trying the same hole on the same lake with the same equipment time after time.

John - How big is long lake? I would lay money on the fact its quite small. So back to the question I asked before...why is Gull the best its been in years? It has a 'full blown open season" and just keeps getting better.

"Wabamun would not survive a full blown open season very long. Fishing pressure would go way up and the consequences would be disastrous at best for the long range sustainability of the fishery." Oh sooooooo wrong. Are you aware that Wabamun has been 'a full blown season' for decades now? They just closed it this year. Why has it always had huge pike and un-countable whitefish? By the way you talk you dont sound like you fish Wabamun a lot.

Tight lines.

You know nothing of gull do you. Its use to be the most amazing fishery ever. Where you could use a plain hook and a maggot and you would catch a whitefish almost every 20 seconds. Now you have to use a certain hook that they like and you sit there all day and maybe catch a couple. The only time this is different is when the burbot spawn is on. The whitefish get super stupid and start hitting everything. But its not even comparable to 15 years ago. This has been the worse year for burbot i have seen. There numbers are going down each year. But just because raven hits them during the spawn and has only fished the lake for past 2 years so he just thinks everything perfectly fine. His only response to this was i suck at fishing. Yah that explains everything raven. I wasn't going to respond to this bs anymore but raven is so full of **** i had 2.

Morph1
03-15-2009, 12:45 PM

Tight lines.

RAVEN lol, sorry Bro I wasn't aware I was talking to a National Fishing Champion, dude 16 pike in one day ROFLMFAO !!:lol:12 walleyes a day ??? man I stand no chance against you , you're simply a fishing God , hold on, let me bow down now, I seriously admire your catch rates I wish I was just like you :D

Let me ask you something "fishing the same lake with the same equipment" ??? what do you mean by that, I thought you simply use a rod that comes with a reel, line and a hook , what is it that you maybe using?? am I missing something here, can you reveal the secret bro cause I feel shattered :lol:
edit lol it isn't by chance that small handy purple DORA rod with a little yellow fishie by chance is it ? cause if that's the case, well then I might get lucky cause my daughters got one just like it :)

with such a catch rates as yours, You simply became my national hero, my champ...
I'll make sure that if I need a professional opinion you will be the first one my list to ask for a advice.

Cheers mate and hit that lake & catch a big one for all of us to see :lol:

and regarding my reply to the original poster , dude I meant no harm all I said was that it was inappropriate to keep that fish out of the water to take time to take that photo and weigh the fish that day, thats all , I have learned a lot from this board from other users , but rather taking it as an insult or bashing I took it as a informative advice and learned from it.

fish on
03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
for the comments on the size
who cares
you had fun with thouse hammer handles
any day on the lake is a good day
its better to keep the small ones than the big females get off the couch and enjoy some hard water fishing and quit bitching
I havent been on here in a month because of all the bull

GO FISH

kennedy
03-15-2009, 01:14 PM
he uses a net that glows in the water:lol:

jacob1202
03-22-2009, 09:40 AM
morph 1 ur a punk get a life....u have nothing better to do than ruin a great day had on the lake by ur dirogatory comments....go watch some more porn

RedFisher
04-08-2009, 11:27 PM
wow this is a heated comversation...:mad3::mad2:
i dont know what to say really i used to fish wabanum hard back in the days and years leading up to the train wreck... didnt fish their for a few years and this year i went there and was wowed!!:lol::lol: i spent the morning fishing for white's and pulled in about 30 to 40 myself with the old man shortly behind and fished hard for pike in the afternoon getting a big surprise and pulling in 3 walley also...2 were about 4-6 pounds and one big one being about 10-12 pounds... its nice to see them comming back havent seen nevermind caught a walley that big out of there in at least 10 years... anyways pike ranged from 12 to 31 pounds average was about 18 or so... caught quite a few but not like it used to be... im all for the shutting down of the lake it'll give it a few more years to bring the numbers up.. even before the spill i noticed that over the years the whitefish population was going down and they wernt growing as big as they used to....oo yah pull a bigin out of there weighed out to be just under 6 pounds :love::love: wow was that fun seen a few schools and had a blast thats what fishin's all about...

and just got one question where abouts were people going to catch pearch?? were they big small ok size?? just woundering for next year never really had luck at wabanum for perch but would love to take my little brother out next year for some...

JohnnyCustom
04-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Go to hassey for perch. Massive population there.

fluxcore
04-10-2009, 11:05 PM
HPF your completely clueless. Gull is getting fished out? Learn how to fish maybe! People have had their best days on gull as of late, especially for big pike. I understand though, your a little kid, only get out when daddy takes you. I know more about fishing than you ever will. Yes I know the situation in Ontario and here, a lot better than you do. Your the biggest poacher i've heard of. The bull-ish you spew about releasing everything you catch? Ya right bro, you cant even fish without chumming the whole area with eggs. Way to go. As for your brutal spelling, has nothing to do with going back to check it...has to do with the fact your in grade 6. Wabbum isn't a typo, its you looking like a fool because you dont know ****! My suggestion is stay off the lakes because I know who you are and see where you fish. Wouldn't want barbed trebs snagging your tent only to see it go up in flames now would you. Tight Lines.

Ive fished Gull for years and have pulled some monsters outa there in the past, Ill give happy this one the lake has gone down hill and fast. The wally are but non existent and the perch have become extreamly hard to find. Dont get me started with the pike:cry: lots of people keeping spawners these days which is fine but it does hurt the fishery.

buckmaster
04-11-2009, 01:24 AM
You know nothing of gull do you. Its use to be the most amazing fishery ever. Where you could use a plain hook and a maggot and you would catch a whitefish almost every 20 seconds. Now you have to use a certain hook that they like and you sit there all day and maybe catch a couple. The only time this is different is when the burbot spawn is on. .

I would say the exact same thing as pigeon lake!!!

FisherPotch
04-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Very heated battle here.

My 2 cents. If you weigh a fish that is going to be released.......get a cradle net, tare the scale with the net hanging. Place fish in cradle. If you weigh a fish by its gills your a ******* idiot. The less time out of the H2O the better so ****ing around with cradles and what not in the cold is not cool. Use gloves when handling a fish. In the winter pay attention to ambient temperature. In the summer pay attention to water temp. If you need a pic or a measurement have the tool to do it VERY handy as to cut down the amount of time out of the water.

Do any of you watch WFN?? I don't have cable even and I know there is plenty to learn there especially for the clueless types out there.

I've caught so many big eye's out the NSR and never scaled one. Not ******* one! And I have pics, I don't just spray BULL**** allover like I have seen some do on here. Need I post pics? Or will someone back me on the amount of big eye pics I've posted?

I have not been around on the forum much lately but I have a feeling that Raven doesn't post many pictures. Any one recall an 8 lb eye? Cuz that’s picture worthy.

I'd also like to see this 10-12 pound walleye. No pic? Why am I not surprised.

Can't wait till The NSR opens up a lil more......so I can show the numbskulls proper C&R fish handling techniques with photographic evidence.

I have never fished Wab but I get pressured to go all the time. Anyone that catches a 10-12 eye on a C&R lake and doesn’t get a quick pic is so full of it.

Get used to C&R or ******* move. Get used to walleye tags! Or *******move! Get the hell out of this province because here I like to think we have RESPECT for life! Weigh you by your ******* ears and see how you like it. Gill and spine damage you blatant fools! PPL take there own lives using their own body weight. I don't think it right but what you do on your own time is up to you!

But when something as blatantly unethical as weighing a C&R fish by its gills is posted I am proud of the users that step up and let the gentleman know NOT to do that. Anyone that could support this scaling technique or the extra time out of water should be banned from this site. That’s right BANNED, there are people that use this site as a source of edjumacation (cuz u no what it meant!). This is a forum not an essay for your grammar teacher. I agree that HPF's post can get confusing at times but I'll also state that I have seen GREAT improvement in his grammar since I first encountered him on an internet forum. And HPF and I have had many a run-in on forums, but he is on the right side the line this one.

I have a saying "it don't matter how straight the line is, it matters what side the line you are on"

As a proud Albertan and Outdoorsman I am ******* disgusted by some of the **** I just read.

Fact of the matter is this is AB. Little amounts of water and cruise ship loads of uneducated ******ed fisherman that develop biased opinions rather than learning from legit university and biologist studies.

Guy Incognito - Splendid post IMHO

JohnAB - U da man

There are plenty of valid points on this thread

I say close them ******* all!!! There are way too many dip****'s out there that think they are above the law and know better than people that are educated on the topic.

99.5% Catch and release and DAMN proud of it! To each there own though. I just don't have it in me anymore to have such a blatant disregard for life. Be it fish, critter or man.

To those that fish Wab. Embrace the C&R fishery my friends. Someone said the canal is better than ever. IMHO that’s cuz nobody has been keeping any hogs. Stay tuned, this is bound to be an amazing fishery with time. And if it puked out a ten pound plus eye someone is in for a magnificent surprise. Please take a picture to share, unless it means keeping the fish out of water for two mins while you dig your camera out.

Sorry for the super rant. Tight lines!

RedFisher
04-14-2009, 10:56 PM
hey there FisherPotch i know the comment wasnt directed at me but thought i would make a comment on the 10-12 pound walley... i got a 12 pounder earlyer in the ishfishing season... i'll post a picture within the next few days gotta get it off my home computer not my labtop....

FisherPotch
04-15-2009, 03:46 AM
PM on route! Nice catch, I love them pigeye's .

Dakota369
04-15-2009, 09:40 AM

Great answer!! haahahahahahhahahaha:evilgrin::tongue2::lol:

RedFisher
04-16-2009, 05:25 PM
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/RedFisher_2009/BigPike.jpg

hope this works... this is one of the 20 or 30 double headers we had at wabanum... the big one is just 26 pounds...113cm... and the small one is 18 pounds or so... great fishing in the last week... pulled up a 6 pound whitfish out of there... i'll try and get a picture...

gpguy7
04-16-2009, 05:53 PM
redfisher, link doesnt work for me.