PDA

View Full Version : Walleye plug colors

aulrich
07-19-2016, 08:54 AM
So I have some reef runner type blanks that I want to paint up before a trip to the cabin. I plan in having a selection of the normal colors"

Silver /blue
Silver /black
Pearl /Flo Yellow
Pearl / Flo Orange
Fire tiger
Perch

But are there other ones that folks use especially with glow.

EZM
07-19-2016, 12:55 PM
I've recently had really good results with a "walleye" pattern on a little Ernie lure. It's black on top and kind of a brassy brown gold on the sides. Here's the pattern ....(and my favorite crank bait for getting down deep and catching walleye).

http://www.driftertackle.net/shop/musky-mania/ernie-lil-ernie-standard-colors/

It's pattern #949 Holoform Glitter Walleye

aulrich
07-19-2016, 01:21 PM
Thanks , I had never heard of that lure company before there are a couple there worth trying.

Old Wizard
07-19-2016, 01:23 PM
I've found my crank bait color patterns that work change from year to year. Crawfish patterns work well some days. Shapes that work change as well. Long, slim types work well behind bottom bouncers and shorter deeper diving ones work well on many days. If you find weedy areas at the 10ft depth, a crank that dives to 6 or 8 ft. will pull wallies up
to bite.

EZM
07-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks , I had never heard of that lure company before there are a couple there worth trying.

I have been using Rollie and Helen's Musky shop to order online for many types of lures.

Drifter tackle makes lures that are far superior to ANY other lure out there in terms of durability, quality of hooks and rings, thick molded one piece lip, fasteners anchored deep into solid body of lure and high abrasion resistance of the paint and finish beyond anything else I've tried.

These lures run absolutely true to the depths they say they do and have a really nice action that walleye, lakers and pike love to chomp. The slower speeds give it a wide wobble and faster retrieval provides a tight vibration.

The bearings give it a nice rattle to attract more attention. They are my go-to crank bait when using bigger crank baits.

Although they are pricey - they are worth every penny.

Try some - you won't be disappointed. Caught some pretty decent sized walleye and some really big pike on them.

cooper
07-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Silver and Purple. black and purple. lime green. these colors worked wicked for me in winefred couldn't keep the eyes off these colors. same with big pike . works in streamer patterns to . if you fly.

fluxcore
07-19-2016, 08:50 PM
Anything yellow for me

Mackinaw
07-19-2016, 08:59 PM
Purpledecent

Mack

BowBoy75
07-20-2016, 10:15 AM
I've had lots of success in rivers with the Bomber Square A lures in white and yellow/brown. Floating, runs shallow and has irresistible wobble.

Fwee6
07-20-2016, 11:13 AM
If not using a Lil Joe spinner with a worm or suitable/legal bait....the next best presentation I've grown up killing walleye on while trolling is a 3" blue+silver Rapala behind a bottom bouncer.

Growing up in NW Ontario was an obvious advantage, but don't see why the walleye here would be any different.

aulrich
07-20-2016, 12:04 PM
A set of 4" minnows is on the list too. I hate spinners and worms, we loose too many to pike :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fish99
07-20-2016, 08:50 PM
A set of 4" minnows is on the list too. I hate spinners and worms, we loose too many to pike :)

try tieing your rigs with fire line , u wont loose any to pike any more

topgear
07-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Silver body with red head. Don't know why, but they work. Especially the lipless rattle baits in that color.

EZM
07-23-2016, 11:15 PM
I am a believer that you are better off finding a crank to run the right depth (ussually deeper) and have a good action (wobble) that's the "wrong color" long before using the right color of lure at the wrong depth with a poor (or undesirable action).

That's my 2 cents ....

Nevertheless ..... I do seem to choose different colors and patterns on the same lures which sometimes make a difference.

I just think color is less important compared to action, depth and presentation.

Bergerboy
07-23-2016, 11:17 PM
I am a believer that you are better off finding a crank to run the right depth (ussually deeper) and have a good action (wobble) that's the "wrong color" long before using the right color of lure at the wrong depth with a poor (or undesirable action).

That's my 2 cents ....

Nevertheless ..... I do seem to choose different colors and patterns on the same lures which sometimes make a difference.

I just think color is less important compared to action, depth and presentation.

I respectfully disagree. I find matching the color of bait fish yields better results.

cube
07-25-2016, 03:09 PM

That's my 2 cents ....

I agree.

I would also put size as more important than color.

Though I have a handful of times (about 5 or 6) found color to be very important. The fish at the time were very keyed into some hatch and we could only get them to bite on that one color. Very frustrating when you have 6 guys and only 2 lures with the correct colors. (we did have many lures that were the same brand type size every thing except color and they would not catch fish.)

Not sure having lots of colors is worth it for the 5 or 6 times in a life time that it mattered.

cube
07-25-2016, 03:09 PM
I agree with EZM. Color under water is not very distinct even at shallow depths and good water clarity.

What fish see is contrast, outlines and reflection in reasonable water clarity.

A pattern as in parr marks, dark top reflective bottom is detectable, but what color it is sells anglers not fish.

Yep.

aulrich
07-25-2016, 06:56 PM
There is a big advantage in making/painting your own, it's easy and cheap enough to have one of everything. you never know when you stumble on something that you would not have bought at 7-10$ a pop but made up for 1-2$ with better hooks is worth a try.

FlyTheory
07-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Clown colour has worked really well for me on lake baptiste. And I do know that silver with hints of pink work well on the Athabasca river.

Buckhead
07-25-2016, 09:18 PM

If you are catching mostly pike on your crawler harness you are running them too shallow or too high above the bottom. Move deeper.

A properly rigged crawler harness should usually catch about 6 "eyes" to 1 pike.

huntsfurfish
07-25-2016, 09:42 PM

That's my 2 cents ....

I agree with EZM. Color under water is not very distinct even at shallow depths and good water clarity.

What fish see is contrast, outlines and reflection in reasonable water clarity.

A pattern as in parr marks, dark top reflective bottom is detectable, but what color it is sells anglers not fish.

I agree.

I would also put size as more important than color.

Though I have a handful of times (about 5 or 6) found color to be very important. The fish at the time were very keyed into some hatch and we could only get them to bite on that one color. Very frustrating when you have 6 guys and only 2 lures with the correct colors. (we did have many lures that were the same brand type size every thing except color and they would not catch fish.)

Not sure having lots of colors is worth it for the 5 or 6 times in a life time that it mattered.

Agree. But every once in a while color appears to matter.

AlbertaGod
07-26-2016, 12:55 PM
I've done some serious Walleye damage using a Flatfish wobbler lure, with Chartreuse Green with the black specs on top, with yellow / orange lower body. Fish it slow and deep. Deadly!

Goodluck

RavYak
07-26-2016, 01:09 PM
I'm with the gang that has noticed type of lure and depth is more important then colour. Colour can be key with some lures but overall with a crankbait the depth and action is more important imo. Jigs, spoons and spinners are more prone to colour differences.