PDA

View Full Version : Back from the coast

tomcat519
07-20-2016, 09:05 PM
Thanks to the advice I received on this website I completed my maiden voyage to the coast with my new boat "Willie II". Attached I have included some photos of our success and a special thanks to JC for welcoming me and sharing his knowledge. It was the trip of a life time.
Enjoy the photos

Robins36
07-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Awesome! I can't wait to get out there in August for 2 weeks. Hoping I can cross some of those fish species off my list

Duramaximos
07-20-2016, 09:20 PM
Nice pics. Looks like you had a great time.

Stupid question time....when fishing on the coast how do you preserve your catch while you're at sea? Live well, stringer, on ice? Do you bleed them?

How quickly do you get back to shore to prepare for long term preservation?

Thanks!

Blastoff
07-20-2016, 09:25 PM
Wow that good luck for the first time, nice teeth on that one.

Remihunter
07-20-2016, 10:01 PM
Some nice catches,, nice mixed bag. Good for you guys.

Sweet boat too by the way.

tomcat519
07-21-2016, 07:34 AM
Yes we bled the fish and kept them cool in the live well by periodically spraying water on them. Once we got back to shore we filleted them, vacu-packed the pieces and flash frozen them (my buddy JC had that equipment out there and made life real easy for us). Sometimes the local guides will provide this service for a small fee. Once the fish was frozen we packed them in coolers and drove 19 hrs home. The top pieces were just beginning to soften but were still pretty frozen when we arrived in Calgary.

On a trip we did to the Queen Charolettes several years ago we had two half-ton trucks and two boats. One of the trucks had a small freezer and generator in the back and we managed to keep everything frozen when we were camping. At times we also rented freezer space from one of the motels. We got everything frozen rock hard , transferred the fish to our freezer and made the trek home. Lots of work but very worth it.
----------------
Nice pics. Looks like you had a great time.

Stupid question time....when fishing on the coast how do you preserve your catch while you're at sea? Live well, stringer, on ice? Do you bleed them?

How quickly do you get back to shore to prepare for long term preservation?

Thanks!

crownb
07-21-2016, 08:09 AM
Oh man, I remember the taste of those fresh spot prawns, my mouth is watering, congrats on a great trip!!!

Deep
07-21-2016, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the pictures. The ocean is always a great place to fish-so many species and the sights are amazing.