PDA

View Full Version : Tonquin Valley

zhunter11
07-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Wondering if anyone has experience hiking up into Tonquin Valley, I plan on making it a quick 3 day trip-in and out, I am fairly solid on the trail and not worried I will overexert myself.

My question is in regards to logistics, What do I need to get up there. I assume I need a backcountry pass, Will I need to reserve a site up there for my small tent or can I just free for all it.

and of course how the fishing is? but if I catch one or two that will just be a bonus.

I realize I can find all this information online and I have been and will continue to research it just seems a bit easier to reach out and see if anyone has any personal experiences.

Cheers

fishman
07-23-2016, 04:13 PM
Which trail u going in the north or the south
Both trails lead to a fishing lodge. I've only been in on the south trail. Take u 6-7 hours. Fishing from shore question able maybe off the dock
Been to the lake twice. Found the brookies on other side of lake by glacier
Rainbows seem to be every where

Freddydog
07-23-2016, 04:18 PM
You need to book a site ahead of time and carry your backcountry pass with you. The best campground is close to the shore of the big lake. Fishing is good if you can reach the fish. The best shore spot I have found is near the boat docks of the lodge on the small lake. I have tossed flies and hardware and done equally as fine. If you ask in the lodge they may let u borrow a boat so u can get out on the lake. Wind can be an issue so keep that in mind. I have caught rainbows to 20 inches and brookies to about 17 inches. Unsure if the hogs still exist in there from years past.

The hike is long but not what I would call difficult. There is a bit of a climb near the beginning and then it is quite flat. There is also a bear warning in that area currently however my first trip I encountered a grizzly with no problems. Of course you will need a park pass in your vehicle. I would go in and out portal creek side. The other way is a little dull.

McLeod
07-25-2016, 10:47 AM
You can't get to the lake on the trail along the Astoria river as a rock slide last week..(and it was a big one ) has closed the trail. You would have to go in from Marmot.

zhunter11
07-25-2016, 10:58 AM
You can't get to the lake on the trail along the Astoria river as a rock slide last week..(and it was a big one ) has closed the trail. You would have to go in from Marmot.

Thanks for the info, I was on the phone with Jasper parks yesterday and they did not mention anything. I had planned on heading up Astoria.

Big Bull
07-26-2016, 08:56 AM

Pretty sure the trail is not closed - just impassable for horses right now.

Big Bull
07-26-2016, 09:12 AM
Wondering if anyone has experience hiking up into Tonquin Valley, I plan on making it a quick 3 day trip-in and out, I am fairly solid on the trail and not worried I will overexert myself.

My question is in regards to logistics, What do I need to get up there. I assume I need a backcountry pass, Will I need to reserve a site up there for my small tent or can I just free for all it.

and of course how the fishing is? but if I catch one or two that will just be a bonus.

I realize I can find all this information online and I have been and will continue to research it just seems a bit easier to reach out and see if anyone has any personal experiences.

Cheers

First of all, you will need to book a campsite, or stay at 1 of the 2 backcountry lodges. You can book a campsite on this website:
https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/Home.aspx
Most of my fishing experience there has been fishing the southern Amethyst Lake. There are brookies and rainbows, and they average 3 to 5 pounds. I've always used row boats, and suggest you rent one from one of the lodges. I always go in from the Edith Cavell trailhead, up the Astoria River drainage. It's about 20 km to the lake and should take 4 or 5 hours to get there. You will need a Parks Canada fishing license. I'm headed in there on labour day for 4 days, staying at http://www.tonquinadventures.com/index.html
The other lodge is http://www.tonquinvalley.com/index.html
Hoping to catch the start of the caribou rut and fall colours!(and some big fish, of course)

McLeod
07-26-2016, 12:01 PM
Yes it looks like you can get your way through the rocks but another slide is likely. I hope its okay. I would like to sneak in there before you and catch all the big ones. Lol

Bemoredog
07-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Any idea on the lodging rates?.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. http://www.tonquinvalley.com/rates.html under Hiker's package.

McLeod
07-26-2016, 01:13 PM
Any idea on the lodging rates?.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. http://www.tonquinvalley.com/rates.html under Hiker's package.

If you hike in its around 200 a day includes food ,shelter ,boat

Bemoredog
07-26-2016, 11:55 PM
Looks like a hell of a deal compared to other lodges. I would love to do this sometime. Anyone know if the trail can be traversed by bike to shorten to time it takes?

Big Bull
07-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Looks like a hell of a deal compared to other lodges. I would love to do this sometime. Anyone know if the trail can be traversed by bike to shorten to time it takes?
Unfortunately, no bikes or dogs allowed.

zhunter11
08-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Hey everyone,

Made it up there this weekend, made it through on the Astoria trail. Camped at Clithiroe campground the first evening, and amethyst on the second. Got out on the third day. The rockslide was passable but as stated earlier in the thread not for horses. It was still very wet on the trail and had to do some dancing to keep from knee deep mud.

FISHING WAS UNBELIEVABLE I must have pulled in over 100 fish in the 4 hours I spent casting (opted for spin gear rather then my fly) most fish were in the 2-4 pound range. I fished the shallows on the channel between the smaller lakes. Got myself wet getting out to a nice rock but that was half the adventure.

Only problem is I would love to go back after this shift is over (back to work for now)

I'll try to post some pics tonight. Beautiful scenery, couple grizzlies spotted around 200 yards.

Deffinetly worth it!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk