PDA

View Full Version : Clear Lake by Stavely

fishingnut
03-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Can anyone tell the best way to get Clear Lake? Heading there on Saturday and was wondering the best route to get there. Will be coming from Calgary.

brianscott
03-13-2009, 02:16 PM
best route would probably be to come with me, we already have a small group heading out there for saturday.

If you want to go by yourself Take the #2 south till you hit stavely, turn left off of the highway(east) then continue for about 14-15 kms till you see the camping signs on the side of the intersection.
Turn here, you will now be headed south, drive to your first 4 way intersection and hang a left, heading east again, drive till you hit a T in he road and turn left.

Welcome to Clear Lake

fishingnut
03-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Thank you for the directions. Maybe I will see you out there. I will be driving a white dakota.

nicemustang
03-13-2009, 03:04 PM
More and more people talking about this lake, is it any good?

fishingnut
03-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Have a friend who has fished it with kids, says it was a blast for them. Said they caught and had hits steady all day long with small pike, nothing large, that was a month ago. Said good place to take kids to fish during the winter.

WalleyeDeitz
03-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Thats a good question. How has Clear Lake been fishing? I am taking a few young kids out fishing on Sunday and was probably going to hit the Chain Lakes miny tourny just to get the kids catching some fish. I have recently fished Pine Coulee a few times and had good luck in the evening and into the night though if Clear has the odd fish biting during the day then perhaps I can re-route our expedition to Clear.

I have heard that Clear has lots of Pike and then ling bite at night much like Pine? Is this correct? If there is a good chance of getting a few flags during the day then I might change our plans for Sunday.

Good luck out there and please let me know how Clear has been if you can.

Thanks in advance.

WalleyeDeitz
03-13-2009, 03:10 PM
that was wierd, your reply answered my question while I was typing...I think we are meant to fish together......

nicemustang
03-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Come to chain on Sunday and join the rest of us. That's a blast for the kids.

WalleyeDeitz
03-13-2009, 03:20 PM
I think that is the plan. Sorry I do not know all of you and am fairly new to this message board thing. When I fish Chain I usually drive on at the boat launch and head north until I am in line with the last parking lot. I then fish just 50 yards or so out from the parking lot. I have a 14' x 16' wall tent with a wood stove that I just bought that I will be setting up.....should hold 15 fishermen if the weather turns cold or windy. So far its me, my brothers 2 kids and a friend. I will be driving a white Toyota Tacoma and will have the big tent....you cant miss me. Is this anywhere near where your gang will be fishing?

BearnDown
03-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Thats pretty much bang on where we'll all be fishin on Sunday at Chain :)

As for Clear Lake, it fishes very well until about noon, then seems to slow down. We hang red smelts just off the bottom and usually do pretty well. Last weekend we iced 14 between 4 of us with 2 keepers. The weekend before we pulled a 25#+ outta there and some smaller ones.

We're headin down there in the morning too, I go a different way then Brian though, I go East through Stavely then just past the camping signs I turn right into a little grass parking lot and down onto the ice. Once you get on the ice you have to turn right to get outta the bay you are in and we will be about 500 yds out or so. I'll be drivin a 95 Chev 3/4 ton Reg cab with huntin stickers on the back window.

We're going to shoot to be there by 8 am, how about you guys?

WalleyeDeitz
03-13-2009, 04:27 PM
I am shooting to be at Chain around 8:30-9:00.
See you there.

BearnDown
03-13-2009, 04:33 PM
I was talkin about Clear tomorrow lol. What time you headin out Brian and Fishinut?

BearnDown
03-13-2009, 04:35 PM
The other thing about Clear is you gotta fish super shallow water to catch em. Last weekend we did the best in under 4' of water.

brianscott
03-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I am meeting a friend @ dennys on 16th @ 7 am
then we will be leavintg rom there.

Bearn we should meet at the launch that way I could give you a tug if need be. I dont have a tow strap though.

BearnDown
03-13-2009, 05:17 PM
I'll be damn sure to have one with me lol. Its really not that bad on the bank where we go in, I'm more concerned about the slush/water on the ice, thats why I wanted to go on off the hiway, it means about a mile less driving across the ice lol.

Gimme a buzz at home, 403-313-6023. I'm just runnin out to pick up Kym from work, I'll be home by 5:45.

slingshotz
03-13-2009, 07:50 PM
We're headin down there in the morning too, I go a different way then Brian though, I go East through Stavely then just past the camping signs I turn right into a little grass parking lot and down onto the ice. Once you get on the ice you have to turn right to get outta the bay you are in and we will be about 500 yds out or so.

Do you drive past the lake and enter on the east side of the lake or is that parking lot right near the house at the T junction? I've always been driving on from the boat launch (like Brian) as I was told the ice in the north part of the lake wasn't as good.

Hope there's not too much slush from the warm weather, I'm heading for one last CV hard water before things shut down.

4D7
03-14-2009, 01:17 AM
we were there today fishing about 200-500 yards from the rocks and man was it slow and windy. moved 5 times not even a nibble. got there at 12 i think fished till 5. did see a couple small ones come out from some guys close to us.

As for slushy flood ice water, there was none it was solid with snow so you guys should be good for tomorrow.