PDA

View Full Version : Port Hardy

Soiler
07-27-2016, 08:52 AM
Headed out to the island this weekend & fishing near Port Hardy next week... Just wondering if anyone's heard what the Salmon & Hali fishing has been like lately?

SNAPFisher
07-27-2016, 04:33 PM
Interesting. I wish you best of luck! Hope you slay :)

Big Bull
07-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Headed out to the island this weekend & fishing near Port Hardy next week... Just wondering if anyone's heard what the Salmon & Hali fishing has been like lately?
Hopefully good, as we will be fishing the Quatsino area Monday to Thursday!
My previous 2 visits in this area at this time of year have found excellent fishing.

Soiler
07-27-2016, 06:19 PM
Interesting. I wish you best of luck! Hope you slay :)

Thanks Snap, Mon-Fri chasing salmon & Hali.... And a day on the way back Sturgeon fishing on the Fraser... Hopefully have full coolers & sore arms on the way back.....

That's good to hear Big Bull, I'm no stranger to down rigging for lakers but this is a 1st for me on the big big water.... Keep hearing about big springs this time of year out there....

Big Bull
07-27-2016, 07:13 PM
Are you you going with a charter?

Positrac
07-27-2016, 08:24 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?128616-2016-salmon-fishing/page6

Sounds like the latest from Hardy is that the fishing has been excellent. Lots of other areas listed in the link but it sounded like hammer time in Hardy.

Soiler
07-27-2016, 09:23 PM
Sweet! That's what I want to hear Positrac! Lol
Sort of Big Bull, booked with Duval Point.... The cabin, boat & gear are included... We supply our own food & booze & it's unguided.... A bit more freedom this way I figured....I'm not the sort of guy to quit good fishing & head in just because it's dinner time or if my head hurts in the am from a few drinks the night before, I don't really want to have to be on the dock at 6am to meet the guide. I'm used to down rigging for lakers & do pretty good, hopefully it doesn't take to long to figure the depth that they're running at......

Big Bull
07-27-2016, 09:43 PM
Sweet! That's what I want to hear Positrac! Lol
Sort of Big Bull, booked with Duval Point.... The cabin, boat & gear are included... We supply our own food & booze & it's unguided.... A bit more freedom this way I figured....I'm not the sort of guy to quit good fishing & head in just because it's dinner time or if my head hurts in the am from a few drinks the night before, I don't really want to have to be on the dock at 6am to meet the guide. I'm used to down rigging for lakers & do pretty good, hopefully it doesn't take to long to figure the depth that they're running at......

Does someone on your boat have ocean experience in that area? It's extreme conditions sometimes.

Soiler
07-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Ya I've heard that....Not a rookie with a boat on big water by any means but not much ocean going for me yet, but ya I'll be keeping my head up on the wind & weather for sure..... I highly doubt the lodge is going to let us just bugger off with their boat without keeping on eye on us with their guides out on the water...New experience for us, should be fun.

Kurt505
07-27-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm heading up there tomorrow, I'll be fishing probably Friday and Saturday, I'll let you know how we do.

Soiler
07-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Sweet, we're fishing mon-fri... Goodluck !

Worm
07-27-2016, 10:26 PM
Ill be in telegraph cove soon as well. Salmon are more finicky than lalers so i suggest talking with the locals to fine tune your presentations. Should cut down on the learning curve. And weather is normally calm in the morning but watch the afternoon winds.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Worm
07-27-2016, 10:31 PM
Oh and make sure you have a good gps in case you get stuck in the fog. Pretty common this time of year.

Salmon Slayer Lenny
07-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Just got back from a month on the Island in the Comox Valley. There like many places on the ECVI, things started off strong then died off, then started to pick up again about a week ago. Best I managed was a 20 lb spring but got into a lot of hatchery coho as well.

Coho had picked up so made up for the decrease in the chinook fishing. I found where I was, the fish and bait weren't running together and both were found in non-typical places.

Hardy should be good for Hali fishing, just need to find the right spot(s). It's a bit early for the big northern coho but may get into them. I heard a radio report of a nice 13 lb coho at Cracroft a week ago.

Hope things are picked up while you're there.

Ken H
07-28-2016, 06:04 AM
Buddy and I fished port hardy over the July long weekend with a charter. Fishing was great.

Positrac
07-28-2016, 06:00 PM
Ya I've heard that....Not a rookie with a boat on big water by any means but not much ocean going for me yet, but ya I'll be keeping my head up on the wind & weather for sure..... I highly doubt the lodge is going to let us just bugger off with their boat without keeping on eye on us with their guides out on the water...New experience for us, should be fun.

If you have some boating experience and a little common sense you'll have no problems.

I grew up on the island and I've fished on the chuck my whole life. I used to run from Hardy the second week of August each year for a weeks fishing in Rivers Inlet. 2 hours run in open water to Dawson's landing. One trip took us 7 hours. We spent more time going up and down than forward. Lol.

Robins36
07-28-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm also going to be in and around Telegraph Cove In early August and looking forward to my virgin tidal waters fishing experience. I'm out there 2 weeks. What is the cost of the fishing licence all in?

Salmon Slayer Lenny
07-29-2016, 08:51 AM
I'm also going to be in and around Telegraph Cove In early August and looking forward to my virgin tidal waters fishing experience. I'm out there 2 weeks. What is the cost of the fishing licence all in?

$28.35 all in, including a salmon stamp (so you can retain salmon) for an annual licence.

Robins36
07-29-2016, 06:40 PM
$28.35 all in, including a salmon stamp (so you can retain salmon) for an annual licence.

Thanks for the info

Robins36
07-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Ill be in telegraph cove soon as well. Salmon are more finicky than lalers so i suggest talking with the locals to fine tune your presentations. Should cut down on the learning curve. And weather is normally calm in the morning but watch the afternoon winds.

When are you in Telegraph Cove? Are you staying there? That is the area that I will be fishing.

Worm
07-29-2016, 11:11 PM
Ya, just got here. Sounds like fishing has been terrible but a few hit the dock this morning which is a good sign for things to come. We picked up a 12 lb chum today for a decent start.

Kurt505
07-31-2016, 09:35 AM
Any idea where Browns wall is? I heard fishing has been steady out there.

Soiler
08-10-2016, 07:42 PM
So we made it back. The fishing was "ok"... We were catching Coho but the wild coho closed the day we showed up so couldn't keep anything but hatchery fish... But nobody at the lodge was catching anything very big.. My biggest was a wild 9.5 lbs Coho, and we were catching more than some of the other boats.
Out of 11 of us at the lodge, only 2 Chinook were caught a 13 & 17.5 lbs so I don't know if we had to go further out for the Springs or not but with the way the wind was coming up by mid-am everyday, there was no way we could've gone exploring. And the wind kept us from heading out to go bottom fishing. Not a bad trip by any means, had fun & caught some fish but not the spectacular fishing I'd heard about for the area, considering a buddy was up at the Haida Gwai at the same time & couldnt keep the Big Coho's & Chinooks off the line.

It's a good thing we had a 10fish day Sturgeon fishing on the way back in the Fraser canyon which was awesome to make up for it. Caught 4 -7 ft, 2 -6ft, 3-5ft & a cute little 2ft....

RavYak
08-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Getting ready for my trip!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P8100002.jpg

Kurt505
08-10-2016, 09:43 PM
So we made it back. The fishing was "ok"... We were catching Coho but the wild coho closed the day we showed up so couldn't keep anything but hatchery fish... But nobody at the lodge was catching anything very big.. My biggest was a wild 9.5 lbs Coho, and we were catching more than some of the other boats.
Out of 11 of us at the lodge, only 2 Chinook were caught a 13 & 17.5 lbs so I don't know if we had to go further out for the Springs or not but with the way the wind was coming up by mid-am everyday, there was no way we could've gone exploring. And the wind kept us from heading out to go bottom fishing. Not a bad trip by any means, had fun & caught some fish but not the spectacular fishing I'd heard about for the area, considering a buddy was up at the Haida Gwai at the same time & couldnt keep the Big Coho's & Chinooks off the line.

It's a good thing we had a 10fish day Sturgeon fishing on the way back in the Fraser canyon which was awesome to make up for it. Caught 4 -7 ft, 2 -6ft, 3-5ft & a cute little 2ft....

Were you at Duval lodge? Might have past by you out there. When we fished Duval point we hooked up with lots of smaller coho and chinooks, they were bigger size fish further out towards the middle of the channel. We found some good bottom fishing over on the Taylor bank and found some good salmon on the north west side of the islands. We had a 32' boat so we were still able to fish the waves, but ever in that boat we were dancing around a few times to keep on our feet.

Serengeti Charters
08-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Soiler, sorry to hear, still a nice Coho though! This was the over the same days you were up...

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/2016%20Fishing/IMG_7405_zpsja6nuike.jpg (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/canucksfanatic44/media/2016%20Fishing/IMG_7405_zpsja6nuike.jpg.html)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/2016%20Fishing/IMG_2247_zpskpudwbgd.jpg (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/canucksfanatic44/media/2016%20Fishing/IMG_2247_zpskpudwbgd.jpg.html)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/2016%20Fishing/IMG_7237_zpsph26v0tx.jpg (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/canucksfanatic44/media/2016%20Fishing/IMG_7237_zpsph26v0tx.jpg.html)

We are averaging 3 Tyee per day right now. Today was no different. Limits of Chinook and add in a couple Coho plus some bottomfish. Rough rough today but still nailed em. Duval is a fishery where you really need to know how to fish it, and even then there is mixed luck...although in years past this time of the year the Chinook are usually pretty half decent there and a big 50+lber is usually taken first couple weeks of August most years there.

Soiler
08-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Were you at Duval lodge? Might have past by you out there. When we fished Duval point we hooked up with lots of smaller coho and chinooks, they were bigger size fish further out towards the middle of the channel. We found some good bottom fishing over on the Taylor bank and found some good salmon on the north west side of the islands. We had a 32' boat so we were still able to fish the waves, but ever in that boat we were dancing around a few times to keep on our feet.

Ya we were off the point. With the wind & swells the way they were, we just couldn't really get to far out & explore the area as we were in a 16.5 ft with 30hp... On the Thursday it was blowing 40km/hr with 5-6ft swells.. Little dicey to go to far for this flat lander....

Kurt505
08-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Ya we were off the point. With the wind & swells the way they were, we just couldn't really get to far out & explore the area as we were in a 16.5 ft with 30hp... On the Thursday it was blowing 40km/hr with 5-6ft swells.. Little dicey to go to far for this flat lander....

I left Thursday but I noticed even in the harbor it was windier than normal.

On a side not, I witnessed one of the funniest nautical blunders of my career on Wednesday when we watche a guy and his girlfriend come flying out of the inlet wide open into the channel with a 16' tinner without slowing down. The waves were rolling pretty good, after they hit the first wave I thought they were going to flip backwards, after they hit the second wave I think they figured out that the bow shouldn't be pointed straight up at the clouds and they abruptly let off the throttle and did a 180 straight back into the inlet. We figured we would have to perform a water rescue.

Robins36
08-11-2016, 10:05 PM
I just spent 4 days fishing the Blackfish sound around Hanson island and have only caught 3 small flounder and a quillback. We saw lots of orcas, humpback whales and sea lions. So far no luck with salmon, halibut, and lings. Taking a break from fishing and touring the island before going back north to try again