PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Brown and Bull Trout whilst backcountry camping

Nmccallum4
07-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Hello, In a couple of weeks I'll be planning a back country camping trip. I'd like for it to be about two nights, and am looking for a location to target Bull and Brown Trout. It would be preferred to hike along a river and fish as we go until we find a spot, but I would be willing to settle for a lake. Thanks.

Red Bullets
07-28-2016, 12:02 AM
I always enjoyed fishing the Red Deer river between Glennifer lake dam and Sundre. Closer to Sundre is nicer. Some nice pools along the way. Accessible, close by the road in a few locations. The river changed a lot since the great flood ten years ago and the spill 5 or 6 years ago but the fishery has been opened again. Bulls, browns, brookies and whitefish. The clearwater river south of Rocky is nice too.

Rivers might be running high so have a lake or two in mind too.

Be bear smart.

Nmccallum4
07-30-2016, 01:59 AM
Thank you. Those both sound good. Will look into it, and we will be bear smart of course.

AndyWarwick
07-30-2016, 07:42 PM
You can access this river at many points on the Forestry Trunk and there can be some good fishing in the more remote areas. As you head up closer to the main headwaters near Cadomin and Whitehorse creek the river really gets very beautiful with lots of nice pools as you hike up past the Whitehorse Creek campground.

No Browns but definitely Bulls in there.

Nmccallum4
08-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Thanks! Sounds good!!