PDA

View Full Version : Ice hut vandals?/

Redfrog
03-13-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm thinking seriously about building a nice ice hut for next season.
I have some concerns about leaving it on the ice?

Do you guys with shacks have much trouble with the idiots vandalizing them?

Do you leave them unlocked? Any ideas for security?

Raven
03-14-2009, 03:20 AM
Locking it will help, but wont stop the drunk lunatics that get a kick out of ruining other peoples stuff. I've seen shacks completely demolished. My suggestion is put it in a place not many people go. Might want to rig up something where when you open a door a huge butchers knife comes flying down on whoever sneaks in. Again wont stop the guys who choose to burn it down or ram their trucks into it but you get the idea.

grice
03-14-2009, 06:53 AM
i would leave it unlocked and save some wear and tear on it, most people will respect THE SHACK . If it's locked they will want to know whats inside...

Versatile
03-14-2009, 10:01 AM
i would leave it unlocked and save some wear and tear on it, most people will respect THE SHACK . If it's locked they will want to know whats inside...

Yup probably the best way to go. Leave some stuff in there if you wish just not the $$ stuff.

Better than Manslaughter or 1st degree murder with the butcher knife idea. Some peoples children I tell ya.:rolleye2:

sunshine
03-14-2009, 10:06 AM
I know of a couple guys on buffalo lake had 2 nice shacks and some idioits one night burnt them down it makes you wonder if its worth it

buck
03-14-2009, 11:08 AM
they have been hitting slyvan and gull again this year brownlows and by the marnia that i know of last year was bad at brownlows had my busted into nonstop tried the unlock thing and and got sick of people using it for everything from a toilet to a party house they stole my kids hockey sticks (little sticks) busted benches etc etc had someone try to drill a hole with a big power auger that didn't fit the smaller hole i was using makes a mess of the floor so it's not just punks but lazy fisherman also unfortunatly
i don't have a shack on any lake this year first time in over ten years no shack out just got sick of cleaning up garbage and fixing busted stuff
if possable build one that can be loaded onto a trailer and taken home every night that is what i'm going to try next year as i have 3 kids that love to go fishing with me so a small one isn't an option for me
or stay with the mob of other shacks and hope for the best
the if it's not yours don't touch it therory don't work on the lake i wish it did
some guys have good luck some don't

grice
03-14-2009, 11:16 AM
I AGREE ON THE "if it's not yours don't touch it theory" when will people learn. Myself personally i would feel a little awkward using someone else's shack and then have the owner show up...i would feel like a goof.

tchow
03-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Unfortuately all its takes is just one bad experience. If it wasn't for those idiots, I would have at least 1-2 huts at different spots and on different Lakes.
Nowadays, I have gone with Flipover tent sleds. Have a one man and 2 Man and pack everything up when I leave. Just don't need the frustration of heading out with friends only to have the outing ruined and to find out your Shack been Vandalized.
From another Forum, they organized a "Neighborhood Shanty Watch" Stickers would be placed on the Shanty's and other Members would keep an eye on them. Well organized and Vandals have been called and arrested by local authorities.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Throw an alarm in it , and have it run off a solar panel , I know a fella on Pigeon lake who has his armed with an old Car alarm and runs it off a solar panel , Sure would scare the crap outta anyone trying to get in . Just has it hooked up to a sensor like you would have in your house alarm system .

goober
03-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Throw an alarm in it , and have it run off a solar panel , I know a fella on Pigeon lake who has his armed with an old Car alarm and runs it off a solar panel , Sure would scare the crap outta anyone trying to get in . Just has it hooked up to a sensor like you would have in your house alarm system .

Can you imagine how dirty that thief's pants would be? Thinking they had an easy target sneaking up in the pitch black in the middle of the night, grab the door, pull it open .......

Just thinking about seeing it is making me laugh as I know I would most likely fill my pants right to the top!!!! LOL!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Marlin07
03-14-2009, 02:26 PM
My shack was on the open door policy out at Gull this year. Met lot's of nice guy's in the process. Brought my son out for his first over nighter and spent half the day sweeping up glass and fixing the stove. I can't figure out why people have the urge to do stuff like that. Thinking I might haul it up to slave next year, Gull seem's to be prone to vandalism. too bad a few Ba**trds have to ruin it.... Any one know how the ice is holding on the North end of Gull? I can't make it out for a week or so to pull it off for the year. I'll be going on at Sunnyside.

droptine
03-14-2009, 04:52 PM
what lake you puttin it on Jimmy? I was going to build one as well to put on carolside. never had a problem at Blood Indian with vandals always unlocked

Raven
03-14-2009, 05:05 PM
"Versatile" - Some peoples kids? 1st degree murder? Its your shack, if it is locked with a sign saying private property keep out, and some ******* tries to break the lock and get in...he deserves a butchers knife going through his head. I know several people that do this. Its not a crime if they intrude on your own stuff. You can do what you want with your own property. You arent stabbing the guy for coming in, you've rigged a contraption that protects your property. My guess is your one of the guys that use other peoples shacks whether their locked or not, and are disappointed to see your hopes crushed. Sorry man.

For the guys that say leaving it unlocked is the way to go. Ya right, it will be trashed in a matter of days.

Redfrog
03-14-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure yet. I've found the one I want. It just hard to get it off the lake with everyone watching:lol::lol::lol:

I have found one i want to build, but I'm having trouble convincing myself to leave it somewhere after all the work and expense just to have some morns trash it. I wouldn't have a problem leaving it open for someone to use while I'm gone, but it seems that we are into the shallow end of the gene pool, sometimes.

BTW who the heck are you DT?

MrDave
03-14-2009, 05:36 PM
"Versatile" - Some peoples kids? 1st degree murder? Its your shack, if it is locked with a sign saying private property keep out, and some ******* tries to break the lock and get in...he deserves a butchers knife going through his head. I know several people that do this. Its not a crime if they intrude on your own stuff. You can do what you want with your own property. You arent stabbing the guy for coming in, you've rigged a contraption that protects your property.

You will definitely go to jail for a long time if someone even gets hurt from doing that.

mulecrazy
03-14-2009, 05:41 PM
"Versatile" - Some peoples kids? 1st degree murder? Its your shack, if it is locked with a sign saying private property keep out, and some ******* tries to break the lock and get in...he deserves a butchers knife going through his head. I know several people that do this. Its not a crime if they intrude on your own stuff. You can do what you want with your own property. You arent stabbing the guy for coming in, you've rigged a contraption that protects your property. My guess is your one of the guys that use other peoples shacks whether their locked or not, and are disappointed to see your hopes crushed. Sorry man.

For the guys that say leaving it unlocked is the way to go. Ya right, it will be trashed in a matter of days.

HAHA. setting a trap would definetly be ILLEGAL. thats like digging a pit in front of your stand and filling the bottom with sharpened sticks, to skewer anyone trying to use it. first of all if it is on a lake it is PUBLIC property. it is illegal to set traps on your own land for petes sake. would you lace your front lawn with landmines?

packhuntr
03-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Landmines,,,,, boy, there are some pretty good ideas coming out of this.:lol: I need to recession-proof my acreage soon. Keep em coming boys!

calgarygringo
03-14-2009, 06:27 PM
That is why ours is portable and we put it on and off our small flatdeck trailer. The extra 15-20 minutes for setup and down is well worth it. See the pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/calgarygringo/PC191453-1.jpg[/IMG]

LongDraw
03-14-2009, 06:35 PM
This reminds me of the "leaving a treestand on crown land" thread. Lots on this board would probably think it is their right to use your shack if you leave it out, some would even take it and not think twice about it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=28017&highlight=treestand+crown+land

Raven
03-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Hmm...talked to a RCMP officer a while back asking him about setting something in your house so if a thief breaks in it's game over....he said its fine. Treestands are completely different. So because its on public land makes it ok for guys to enter it? Great! I can jump on the roof of your pickup or sleep in the box of it if its parked on the street? Its on public property why not!? I dont care if its illegal or not thats what I would do, and any smart judge would not lay it on you if the guy clearly broke into your property, disregarding the very clear signage.

Versatile
03-14-2009, 08:45 PM

I hope your buddies dont get caught. Going to court all the lawyer would have to say is you rigged up the contraption to do exactly that kill some one. At best you would get off with man slaughter.

You cant just kill some one for breaking into your fishing hut, you cant even kill some one for breaking into your house. If you could there wouldnt be much B&E because people would know they would be dealing with the business end of a rifle or shotgun when they got through the door.

lucaslogan
03-14-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't know what you are smoking, but no RCMP would condone anything that would hurt someone. You are not allowed to use excessive force if they break into your house, let alone your fishing shack. The best policy is a open door and hope for the best.

Morph1
03-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Hmm...talked to a RCMP officer a while back asking him about setting something in your house so if a thief breaks in it's game over....he said its fine. Treestands are completely different. So because its on public land makes it ok for guys to enter it? Great! I can jump on the roof of your pickup or sleep in the box of it if its parked on the street? Its on public property why not!? I dont care if its illegal or not thats what I would do, and any smart judge would not lay it on you if the guy clearly broke into your property, disregarding the very clear signage.

Dude lol, how old are you again ??? it is not illegal to set up a trap to kill a human being ??? are you crazy ? , you and your RCMP wanna be - kid kindergarden friend gotta stop watching adult action movies and go to bed early watching Diego or Dora instead of RAMBO :lol:,

I can understand your frustration but the best choice and most legal would be what BBJ suggested, a fricken loud alarm system, I bet the money that it would work like a charm.

Cheers

packhuntr
03-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Nothing excessive about delivering a crippling or even a killing blow. Especially when your about to be on the recieving end of what ever the intruder thinks they are allowed to do to your unsuspecting azz or your belongings. Its a mans OBLIGATION to his family to absolutely protect them, and its also a mans job to protect his worldly possesions. Some men work their entire lives to have almost nothing. All men should be judged as they were years ago,,,, if you DONT TAKE CARE of your own, you are no man...... Now how does Brown Bear say that again,,, Better to be judged by six, than carried by eight.

Edit, and no im not saying that setting traps for criminalsis a good idea! As much as it sounds like a good idea, its not socially acceptable.

Raven
03-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Say what you all want. If a guy invades my personal property (home) and seems like a danger in any way he will be facing the end of a 12 guage. And if a guy invades my personal property anywhere else because my house, there will be consequences. Of course he would have to be stupid enough to ignore the warnings for that to happen. I will fight it in court if it comes to that. Whats the guy going to say? Oh well, I smashed the lock on somebodys shack with signs written all over it "private property do not tamper" and proceeded to go in it to get drunk in the middle of the night and smash the empty's all over, as I took a step in a knife fell somehow and it stabbed into my shoulder. The judge would laugh. I guess its the old arguement of a theif smashes your window to break into your house and steal your belongings, while entering the broken window he slit his wrist and almost bled to death. Technically the house owner is the one at fault, but do you really think its going to fly in court??? Tight lines.

And I'll add....the knife was a dramatic example, altho I do know people who do this I would rather use a shovel...something that would not kill or injure too bad but would get the point across.

Nerdapres'
03-15-2009, 06:10 AM
Had a shack on Eagle lake a few years back. Showed up to pick it up one weekend and someone had burnt it down.

Now I rock an Icecube

Shmag
03-15-2009, 10:31 AM
I have a key to my buddies shack, have been using it for about 7yrs now and we have never had a problem. One thing is out of sight and out of mind. They have a solid shutter for the windows where they cover the whole outside of the window and bolts run through the wall and fasten from inside the shack. They also have a good solid metal door from a meat cooler.

As far as break-ins it is no different than your house, vehicle, garage, etc being broke into. It is just something that unfortunately happens.

But i would have to ask the people that do boobie trap. "If say someone had a mishap and were stranded or broke through the ice and needed to break into your shack for survival" I don't think i could boobie trap for that reason alone

One last note is to Nerdapres' if your avatar pic is of you than you are "SMOKIN" haha

goober
03-15-2009, 10:55 AM
I have a key to my buddies shack, have been using it for about 7yrs now and we have never had a problem. One thing is out of sight and out of mind. They have a solid shutter for the windows where they cover the whole outside of the window and bolts run through the wall and fasten from inside the shack. They also have a good solid metal door from a meat cooler.

As far as break-ins it is no different than your house, vehicle, garage, etc being broke into. It is just something that unfortunately happens.

But i would have to ask the people that do boobie trap. "If say someone had a mishap and were stranded or broke through the ice and needed to break into your shack for survival" I don't think i could boobie trap for that reason alone

One last note is to Nerdapres' if your avatar pic is of you than you are "SMOKIN" haha

Some good points made!:D
Got kind of creepy at the end though.:lol::lol:

Drano
03-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Father in laws stolen off of Travers res.
He is 75 and ma is 79 so they would leave it out so they could get in and start fishing .

They had it for years now they find it hard to get out what a shame.

MrDave
03-15-2009, 01:12 PM
This reminds me of the "leaving a treestand on crown land" thread. Lots on this board would probably think it is their right to use your shack if you leave it out, some would even take it and not think twice about it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=28017&highlight=treestand+crown+land

I wondered if some one else had thought of this.:lol:
Hopefully Bud doesn't like ice fishing, as that is on public property, so he would feel that if you left your shack, it's his.:huh:

huntin'fool
03-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already, I didn't read through this whole thread...but, this year on Slave, there is some ASSCLOWN travelling around the lake with a nice new snowmachine, going to peoples cabins, huts etc to see if he can grab anything or break in and grab things. He will also come up to you on the ice and talk to you as though you are his best friend and ask you all kinds of questions as to your whereabouts, how long you're staying etc. He will then go back to shore to your truck (because he watched you unload your quad and ride out to your fishing spot) and clean out your truck/trailer of anything of value. Happened just last week. Please, if anyone is approached by a guy like this, don't divulge too much info, and let him know that you are about ready to pack up and leave. That way, he won't risk trying it on you!!

GeoTrekr
03-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Booby trapping is definitely not a smart idea (and I thought I remember reading somewhere in the legislation that booby-trapping is specifically cited, and is illegal).

While some may feel a crook deserves what's coming to him, it may not necessarily be a crook trying to open your door. Think about emergencies.

Just to throw some scenarios out there, here's an example. You aren't there, and someone sees someone torching your shack. The fire's spreading quickly, and they want to make sure no one's inside, so they bust down the door... and get the knife.

Same reason you don't tie a string around the trigger of your 12 guage and hook it up to the door knob when you leave your house. You never know what might happen while you're gone (other than a break in by a crook).

I suspect that this is probably the reason booby-trapping is illegal (If I'm wrong on this, I'll be the first to admit it, although it still isn't a good idea. I'm sure I've read some laws on it somewhere though...)

Morph1
03-15-2009, 01:51 PM
I suspect that this is probably the reason booby-trapping is illegal (If I'm wrong on this, I'll be the first to admit it, although it still isn't a good idea. I'm sure I've read some laws on it somewhere though...)

According to John Rambo AKA "RAVEN" and his imaginary fellow RCMP friend it is absolutely legal :lol: so what do we know ....
I guess when his shack catches on fire and he happens to be inside it, I recommend to stay back and watch the fireworks and flying knives cause there will be a booby trap TNT explosions and everything that his got will be flying at ya :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Versatile
03-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Say what you all want. If a guy invades my personal property (home) and seems like a danger in any way he will be facing the end of a 12 guage. And if a guy invades my personal property anywhere else because my house, there will be consequences. Of course he would have to be stupid enough to ignore the warnings for that to happen. I will fight it in court if it comes to that. Whats the guy going to say? Oh well, I smashed the lock on somebodys shack with signs written all over it "private property do not tamper" and proceeded to go in it to get drunk in the middle of the night and smash the empty's all over, as I took a step in a knife fell somehow and it stabbed into my shoulder. The judge would laugh. I guess its the old arguement of a theif smashes your window to break into your house and steal your belongings, while entering the broken window he slit his wrist and almost bled to death. Technically the house owner is the one at fault, but do you really think its going to fly in court??? Tight lines.

And I'll add....the knife was a dramatic example, altho I do know people who do this I would rather use a shovel...something that would not kill or injure too bad but would get the point across.

You go ahead and fight it in court. But while you in your little dream land the rest of us are in this place called reality you cant just rig stuff up like that. Even with a shovel I mean come on man snap out of your 16 year old head and jump into reality.

Have fun in LALA land "Rambo"

Marlin07
03-15-2009, 06:33 PM
I love have a guy asked a question about permanent shacks and all you guys can talk about is "The man" and the legalities of booby trapping. vandalism does happen and it sucks. bottom line, you take a chance leaving your shack out there. Now go watch Goonies and see some real boobie traps

Versatile
03-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Some guy publically endorsing setting "booby traps" that can cause bodily harm or worse killing somone really needs to be addressed.

I have to agree with the poster who mentioned somone may be using it in a life or death situation ( like falling through the ice and needing to get warm quick). Last thing he should be worrying about is some butcher knife or shovel flying through the air trying to take him out.

Freedom55
03-16-2009, 06:51 AM
I don"t know beans from your rights but I do know that I have gone into other's fishing sheds to get out of the nasty weather twice in my life. Neither was locked and I did no damage other than drill a 6" hole in a slot made for a bigger auger. I got in this mode because of a "ski-dooer's" cabin built near the top of Penask Mtn. in BC.
I was working for the Forest Service while in high school in the early '70's and while fighting a small forest fire, my 4 man crew stayed in a line shack built by a group of local men who used it for snowmobiling in the winter. We carefully read and obeyed the posted rules and spent 5 or 6 nights in it. We left a pile of cordwood for the fellows as a thanks and made sure the fire did not affect the little space. Respect.
This little hut was built on property owned by all the citizens and as such was open to public scrutiny. Same as ice huts. Same as tree stands in the forest. You cannot put up a tree stand and leave it there year round. It is a one time deal. Bag your deer and move on. You cannot claim that spot for life nor can you expect to hog the hot spot every time. You don't anchor your boat over a particular honey-hole and leave it there for the season either. Having said that, I am reminded that locks will only say "stay out" to the honest folks. Not that I would smash your lock to steel your valuables but not all visiters to a lake or forest are outdoorsmen looking for sport. Dave Si

Dakota369
03-16-2009, 11:59 AM

Raven;
You are showing your ignorance of the law. Mantraps are illegal, no if's and or buts......doesn't matter if you put up signage or not....you do this and the next time you show up at your shack you will be arrested and charged.

allenford
03-16-2009, 03:35 PM
even he / she is a trespasser, you are still responsible to make any reasonable steps to make sure he/she reasonable safe, it is by law, I know that sounds not good but we have no choice.

For those minors you have to even make noticeable warnings to make sure they are not going to be injured.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Better idea , put a false floor in the bottom of the ice hut and when they step in it when armed then put wait on the base and fall only like a foot or whatever threw the top of the snow , and scare the crap outta them like they were going threw the ice , that might be interesting . :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

allenford
03-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Better idea , put a false floor in the bottom of the ice hut and when they step in it when armed then put wait on the base and fall only like a foot or whatever threw the top of the snow , and scare the crap outta them like they were going threw the ice , that might be interesting . :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ha....Id like to see this hanppen...

Raven
03-17-2009, 12:32 AM

Oh god no!!!!!! What if some poor innocent lady out walking her dog on the ice gets trapped in a sudden blizzard, and she is forced to warm up? Falling even a foot she can break a hip and hit her head from being unbalanced. You'll be charged instantly with 1st degree murder:rolleyes:

Anyways, I never said I do that, I said I know a couple people that do. Their calls not mine. I dont because it would be too much hassel to set it. People who brought up points about emergency's are valid, and I have to be honest never really thought very hard about that. But now that we have got that sorted out, I wont bother to build an ice-hut next year and will just use everybody elses. Thanks for enlightening me on the rules of your property on public land. When/if the owners show up i'll be sure to notify them it's perfectly legal and my right to use their hut's if its on public land.

As for my age, none of you have any idea so drop it. Speculating on my age just shows you cant come up with valid points and resort to childish games. Good on ya's.

grice
03-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Had a shack on Eagle lake a few years back. Showed up to pick it up one weekend and someone had burnt it down.

Now I rock an Icecube
I rock a cube as well.

Versatile
03-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Oh god no!!!!!! What if some poor innocent lady out walking her dog on the ice gets trapped in a sudden blizzard, and she is forced to warm up? Falling even a foot she can break a hip and hit her head from being unbalanced. You'll be charged instantly with 1st degree murder:rolleyes:

Once agian your childish attitude gave nothing to this thread :rolleye2:

matathonman
03-18-2009, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=Nerdapres';284895]Had a shack on Eagle lake a few years back. Showed up to pick it up one weekend and someone had burnt it down.

Same thing happened at Eagle to me a couple years ago. The end wall, part of the main wall and the roof were burned out of it. The culprits left a big candle burning in the corner shelf and that's the end of the hut. Not before leaving a pile of garbage and beer cans littered inside and stealing the rod holders that were screwed down:mad:

marlin1
03-18-2009, 10:07 AM

ummm thats Kelly Clarkson I don't think its her on the board but she is cute

Raven
03-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Once agian your childish attitude gave nothing to this thread :rolleye2:

And once again your childish response gave nothing to the thread as well. To prevent the same thing being said about my response, i'll say that what I said above wasn't at all childish and I was just trying to make a point. Looks like it was too over your head to understand it. But your 100% right. If you cant stop people from using your shacks when it's on public land, then I might as well do that. Better than building my own and ending up with a 1st degree murder charge dont ya think? Its unfortunate theres no 'middle line', its either protect your belongings like "Rambo" or just use other peoples since its perfectly legal (if you aren't a fan of ice tents). The theives prevent there from being a middle line because I sure as hell know I'm not building a big ice shack only to have it trashed. I'm not saying i'll trash other peoples by the way, if you assumed that in your 'childish' assumptions.

Shmag
03-19-2009, 09:04 AM
ummm thats Kelly Clarkson I don't think its her on the board but she is cute

Woops!!! LMAO:lol::lol::lol:

BushWacked
03-19-2009, 10:25 PM
was out on Sylvan tonight and seen one of the shacks had been burnt down. damn shame.

hockeyfish
03-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Dude lol, how old are you again ??? it is not illegal to set up a trap to kill a human being ??? are you crazy ? , you and your RCMP wanna be - kid kindergarden friend gotta stop watching adult action movies and go to bed early watching Diego or Dora instead of RAMBO :lol:,

I can understand your frustration but the best choice and most legal would be what BBJ suggested, a fricken loud alarm system, I bet the money that it would work like a charm.

Cheers

and isn't your best friend hpf? he seems pretty young.

Cal
03-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I think I just got dumber from reading this thread.

Morph1
03-20-2009, 10:33 PM
and isn't your best friend hpf? he seems pretty young.

I'm sorry and your point is ??? please enlight me if you may :)

Versatile
03-21-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm sorry and your point is ??? please enlight me if you may :)

LOL love the signature Morph. You should put Raven AKA Rambo beside it lmao.

Danno
03-21-2009, 02:10 PM

Uh, this is most definitely criminal. If something like this were to hurt someone, even a vandal or thief, you'd be charged, and you'd be punished more than the guy who was trying to break in. It is illegal to booby-trap your property.