PDA

View Full Version : Opti-2 Oil?

Off in the Bushes
03-14-2009, 12:03 AM
I have read several posts where people are using this oil. What makes it so special over the jiffy oil that you buy for your auger or other 2 stroke oils. I am also reading that they are mixing it 100:1, is this safe. Do you have to reset your carb to run this lean of an oil mixture. Is it safe of outboards? Does the motor need to be broken in to use it, if so was is the break in period of an auger and a outboard?

TreeGuy
03-14-2009, 12:13 AM
We run it in our saws and in the winter our backpack leaf blowers for snow removal. No issues with it at all, although being an old school 50:1 or less guy, mixing a jug always makes me nervous!:scared:

I'm running Stihl 420 blowers. These little machines are into their 5th season. They run at max rpm 90% of their existance. Each one probably has 100 operational hours on it this year. No issues.

Same deal with the saws. It's a good product.

Tree

deanmc
03-14-2009, 12:29 AM
I use it in my outboard(15hp johnson), Husky 55 rancher, Jiffy model 30, old Bravo 250, and my weed eater. No problems so far.

I am told it will settle after sitting and to make sure to shake jug before filling. I mix according to bottle. It is premeasured amounts for one gallon. Seems to me it is around 70-1 at that mix.

honda450
03-14-2009, 08:58 AM
I use Opti-2 in all my saws. The mixture is 100:1. As the container states.:wave:

Guy Incognito
03-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know where the Opti-2 can be purchased in Calgary?

honda450
03-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Probably any place they sell saws, lawnmowers,quads etc with 2 stroke engines. Automotive supply shops. Crappy tire may even have it.:wave:

Guy Incognito
03-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Probably any place they sell saws, lawnmowers,quads etc with 2 stroke engines. Automotive supply shops. Crappy tire may even have it.:wave:

Thanks Honda450,

I found the stuff at Blackfoot Motorsports. Canadian Tire and Parts Source were a no go.

Off in the Bushes
03-14-2009, 12:17 PM
So for all of you that are using it did you have to reset the high/lower ideal for the carbs, my model 70 jiffy does not really have a high low setting on the carb that I can find.

TreeGuy
03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
We did not have to reset anything. I get ours from Alberta Forest and Garden located on Barlow Tr just south of 16ave.

Tree

Off in the Bushes
03-14-2009, 02:34 PM
We run it in our saws and in the winter our backpack leaf blowers for snow removal. No issues with it at all, although being an old school 50:1 or less guy, mixing a jug always makes me nervous!:scared:

Tree

Not sure if you are kidding around but, I found this site and its cool for getting the right mix ratio.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

TreeGuy
03-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Nope not kidding. Just a silly superstition. I blew my Dad's saw up when I was a teen from not measuring. I've always been paranoid ever since.

We keep our mixed in yellow jugs so there is no confusion with the kids. We lost a number of machines a couple of years ago when the 'new guy' refuelled with unmixed. Since there can be up to 12 units taking fuel from a single mix, I'm very, very careful, as that would be a nasty bill. The good thing about the Opti is the pre-mixed packages it comes in. Eliminates alot of the worry.

Tree

deanmc
03-14-2009, 11:04 PM
I use Opti-2 in all my saws. The mixture is 100:1. As the container states.:wave:

I am not sure why we have different mixing instructions. Call me anal but i had to go out and get bottle I was wrong it is 88-1 By my math.

250 ml of oil mixes with 22 litres of fuel.