PDA

View Full Version : Walleye fishing at Pigeon

Mad Caddy
08-04-2016, 12:22 PM
I'm a bit of a newbie here but I'm planning on heading to Pigeon this weekend. I was thinking of picking up some of the undersubscribed Class C walleye licences. My 5 year old will be coming and while I know he doesn't need a fishing licence, is he allowed to "keep" any walleye he catches without having tags? I would think not but how do you get tags without a fishing licence? Not sure how this works for kids. Thoughts?

cube
08-04-2016, 12:29 PM
I'm a bit of a newbie here but I'm planning on heading to Pigeon this weekend. I was thinking of picking up some of the undersubscribed Class C walleye licences. My 5 year old will be coming and while I know he doesn't need a fishing licence, is he allowed to "keep" any walleye he catches without having tags? I would think not but how do you get tags without a fishing licence? Not sure how this works for kids. Thoughts?

Everyone that wants to harvest a walleye out of Pigeon needs tags including children and seniors.

You don't need a fishing licence If over 65 or under 16 but you will need to get a win card in order to purchase the tags.

So if your 5 yr old would like to harvest a walleye you will need to purchase a WIN card for him then purchase the tags with his WIN.

If you are between 16 and 65 you need both a WIN and fishing licence.

Good Luck to You

Mad Caddy
08-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Great, thanks for clarifying!

cube
08-04-2016, 01:33 PM
Great, thanks for clarifying!

No problem

Hopefully you will have great success on filling those tags. (The lake needs to be thinned out a little.)

Mad Caddy
08-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Of course we were just setting up to head to the lake tomorrow and AHS releases their annual algae warning this afternoon. Anyone have any experience fishing during the blue green algae advisory? Should we just steer clear of this lake for now? I know the advisory says it's safe to eat fish fillets even with the algae but has anyone actually done this with no problems?

cube
08-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Of course we were just setting up to head to the lake tomorrow and AHS releases their annual algae warning this afternoon. Anyone have any experience fishing during the blue green algae advisory? Should we just steer clear of this lake for now? I know the advisory says it's safe to eat fish fillets even with the algae but has anyone actually done this with no problems?

Don't eat the entrails and you'll be fine.

EZM
08-05-2016, 10:30 PM

I would strongly suggest staying away from lakes during a cyanobacterial bloom. It is toxic and can be fatal. Don't put yourself into a situation you may regret and have to live with for the rest of your life.

I wouldn't take my kids there.

Not trying to give you a sermon - but it really is something that should be taken seriously.

http://www.ncf-net.org/forum/2009fall2.htm

fluxcore
08-05-2016, 10:41 PM
I would strongly suggest staying away from lakes during a cyanobacterial bloom. It is toxic and can be fatal. Don't put yourself into a situation you may regret and have to live with for the rest of your life.

I wouldn't take my kids there.

Not trying to give you a sermon - but it really is something that should be taken seriously.

http://www.ncf-net.org/forum/2009fall2.htm

Lol.....swimming is a no go, fishing is fine I've had to make a crust hole in the blue green algae crust to get my jig an minnow down and not only was the bite crazy non stop action the fish we kept (tag's) were great eating! Grilled up a few spices and the fillets were great! This is a yearly event I actually look forward to lol the lake gets a lot quieter the fish bits stays steady!

Isopod
08-07-2016, 01:49 AM

Fillets will be fine, and there are some nice walleye in that lake.

That said, I would only keep Alberta fish during winter when the water is clean and clear. I don't understand harvesting summer fish from algae-infested lakes, no matter how "fresh" those fish are.

Not sure how the tag system works, but if you can, keep them until January, February or March if you want to have fish that don't taste like pond scum.

Straightgun
08-07-2016, 12:13 PM
The warning was just issued. The lake is still in great shape. I have a summer house on it. Don't let the media and warnings scare you off. The lake is a nice as I have seen this year compared to years past. The brown seeds are just that seeds from the aquatic plants. Pulled a 4 pound 24 1/2" Wally out just this past Wednesday.