PDA

View Full Version : Trolling plate

TROLLER
08-07-2016, 10:52 AM
So, here is my issue: I went to a smaller boat this year, down from a 1750 Crestliner to a Kodiak 14. It has a great Tohatsu 40 Hp 4 stroker but the slowest I can get it down to is 2 MPH.

I like trolling in the 1.4 and sometimes even slower. If I put on a trolling plate I am thinking I can get it down to under 1mph which would also be good for bottom bouncing. The top line ones flip up automatically when you power up and have fins that they claim will help you maneuver on windy days.

Anyone have any experience with trolling plates and if so how much did they help in getting your speed down. And last is there any issues that could possibly harm my motor.

Worst case is I suppose going to a decent bow mount remote troller.

Tfng
08-07-2016, 11:10 AM
I've got an easy-troller plate on my 40 and it is very effective. It was too slow for spoons and crank baits so I added an additional stop where I could set the plate half way down which has me going a nice speed. It doesn't kick up automatically but it does have a spring loaded hinge to prevent bending the plate if you forget.

With the plate all the way down its too slow and can be miserable to control the boat in the wind. I don't have a gps in the boat so I can't say how slow but I'm sure you could run bottom bouncers.

I've got a kicker I just carry around in the bow because it's more convenient to troll with the main.

Here's a pic of the plate set at the half way notch.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l332/The_Darn_New_Guy/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4aqvo4tf.jpeg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/The_Darn_New_Guy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4aqvo4tf.jpeg.html)

TROLLER
08-07-2016, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your imput. Interesting how it becomes difficult in the wind, which is what the ones with fins on claim they can stop.

But they are pricy over 300 but still quite a bit less than a bow mount.

dfrobert
08-07-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm running a Happy Troller large size on my boat. 17 foot legend with 60hp merc 4 stroke. No issues with the motor running at low idle all day long, but not sure about your particular motor. I LOVE my trolling plate. Can troll down to 1.0 mph for stuff like bouncing jigs or trolling bottom bouncers for walleye. Used it for lakers this summer also trolling anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 mph varying the throttle. Can idle up from 1mph (slowest) boat will troll with plate to anywhere up to about 4 mph which is way to fast for most lure presentation anyway. To engage and drop my plate down I have to have the boat nearly stopped and in neutral. To disengage my Happy Troller i leave the boat in gear going forward with the idle increased bit, pull the rope and the plate pops right up and into the disengaged notch.

I also considered added an extra notch as the previous poster did to run the plate at an angle but I never bothered and for my setup I don't need it.
One big thing with boat control and running a plate is make sure you mount you plate as far back and away from your prop as possible. I read up on this tip and have had zero issues with boat control in windy and wavey conditions.

Don't forget to lift your plate up before taking off full throttle. lol.

TROLLER
08-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Good advise, thanks very much.

lsxfirebird
08-08-2016, 10:27 AM
If you are looking for one i have a happy troller on my boat i can sell you it is the spring loaded one currently on my 70hp but i have a trolling motor so never use the plate, that 70hp 2 stroke doesn't like going slow anyways even with the plate down on my 14 1/2' slowest i can get it is 2.2