PDA

View Full Version : Wigwam forest service road

A-Baum
08-09-2016, 08:08 AM
Can anyone provide me a link to any solid information about access to the Wigwam forest road? Looking at the Kootenays mapbook there is a gate somewhere near where the Cabin Creek(?) dumps into the Wigwam, and I've heard varying information on gate closure and dates and such. Is there any official information on access down this road?

Redfrog
08-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Are you talking about Alberta or B.C.?

A-Baum
08-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Just over the border in BC. Sorry to post here, the BC fishing forums are rather inactive.

Redfrog
08-09-2016, 11:39 AM
There is a gate at the base of the 'China Wall' MT Broad hood or Broadmore.[sp] It used to be closed to vehicle traffic except for a couple months in the summer. it is also closed from the Elko side. If you go through the village site , there is a crossing for the elk river. as soon as you cross, there is a rough road to the south that is restricted traffic.
If you go straight instead, the road parallels the Elk and eventually hooks up to the Morrisey road.
At that junction , if you go west and stay right, you will come to the gate at the "China Wall'
If you come from Alberta, you can go past Fernie and access the road at Morrisey. Cross the Elk river and go west/ It parallels the river . Keep going till you come to a sign for the Wigwam. Keep right for the Wigwam or go left for the Ram.

The information regarding closure to vehicle traffic is in the B.C.hunting synopsis for MU. 4 02

I spent 30 years crawling over most of that country with a horse.

ÜberFly
08-09-2016, 12:55 PM
If you are going to fish, I hope you were one of the lucky ones that got a permit to fish it, as without one, you are not allowed anymore (if you are a non-resident)! Or maybe you are financially secure and have hired a guide to fish there?! Or you are a BC resident therefore, you can ignore all of what I have written...