PDA

View Full Version : Any Jon boat owners?

KyleM
03-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Im a little undecided as to what back lakes rig I want to pickup this year.

The problem is this.

I have 5hp 4 stroke and I feel the motor is enough for a 12 foot deepv or a narrow 14 foot jon boat.

The jon boat Im looking at is the tracker 1432 and the new models have a weight capacity of 425. Im 220, motor is 60 dry so with a passenger and gear Im most likely going to be over the capacity limit by 40 lbs or so.

Does anyone really load their jon boat up and go over? This is just going to be for trolling most of the time so Id like to know how much overweight I can go if any without problems.

Im basically SOL right now with boat choice as the G3's are way overpriced and everyone in GP has done their ordering for the year. This means if I want something ordered in Im going to take a huge hit for shipping.

I had my heart set on a jon for getting into the shallower spots as the only Tracker 12 footer in town only has the two benches which makes for a crowded fish.

Any suggestions are appriciated.

Festus
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey Kyle,
I have a 14 foot jon (lund) that I put a 9.9 h.p. Merc on. I know I'm going to get snotted for this but I way 230 lbs and I load it with 2 kids, a dog, and a weekends worth of camping gear and hit the Bow with it. Runs great with plenty of boat above the water and no issues with swamping. Common sense would dictate that you don't run head first into big rollers. On big lakes I'm more cautious. If I'm running heavy I'm hugging the shorelines. Jon boats are great. Light and versitile. You can slip down side channels where other drifters fear to tread. I've got mine rigged with pedestal seats and a rower operated anchor-pully system.
Festus

KyleM
03-15-2009, 07:55 PM
That was exactly the kind of answer I was lookin for, thanks a bunch.

A boat builder from Ontario had told me the weight capacity of those jons was somewhat limited with restrictions as the max cap weight can only be so many times what the actual boat weighs.

He had stated they are safe to carry much more but due to government mumbo-jumbo they were maxed out fairly light.

Looks like I will have my jon :D

stephen189
03-15-2009, 08:05 PM
I have one, a crestliner 1236 its 11'8" i think, with a 500lb total capacity including motor. Last year i bought a new motor, a 9.9 suzuki four stroke electric start, and i also carry a small battery to start it with. The motor is heavy, i think almost 100lbs and then 30lbs of gas at least. I routinely take my gf and brother and sometimes sister in it on a small sheltered lake that remains calm almost always. I used to run a 2 stroke 9.9 johnson that was alot lighter and fit the boat better, but i wanted a newer motor, so i upgraded. I think i would go back to a 2 stroke next time though...alot easier to lift!

The lake is so small im usually no more than 2 minutes from any shore if the weather got nasty. I also had it on the Slave river off of slave lake with three of us and a cooler and two tackle boxes and equipment with no issues and i felt safe in it.

The problem is that bad weather comes quick and hits hard and if you arent on or within a couple minutes of a shoreline you are in BIG trouble. These boats sit low in the water and it doesnt take much for the waves to start coming in..

That said, pick your battles, stick to small lakes, close to the shoreline and be prepared to spend some time on a shoreline in the rain and wind, time your outings wisely, and allow plenty of time to get back while the weather looks good. Any small craft can be dangererous if you make it.

I love mine and wouldnt trade it for anything!

Stable as ever, lightweight, and bulletproof.

stephen189
03-15-2009, 08:17 PM
here are some pics

KyleM
03-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Sweet little rig you got there.
Thats exactly what Im looking for minus 5hp :D

The small lakes up here really limit the size of your boat.
I either need my 17 footer thats sitting back home or something
smaller like this.

I would really like to haul a small boat upto the Yukon or NWT and do some serious back water exploring. I also like the fact that it takes nothing to push these things through the water.

gpguy7
03-15-2009, 09:24 PM
hey kyle, whats the price on the tracker here in gp? same with other jon boats in the area, ill keep an eye out for a deal

KyleM
03-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Im pretty sure the tracker 1432 is 800 bones plus government donation.

Theres zero 12 foot v boats in town but theyll be around 1200 new.