PDA

View Full Version : Fishing near town of Slave Lake

deanstr8
08-10-2016, 09:33 AM
I am heading to Slave Lake this weekend, just wondering what area is most productive close to town? I only have a 16ft Misty River with a 40HP motor, so do not want to have to go too far. I have fished at Spruce Point and Shaw's Point in open water, but only fished close to town on the ice. Any feedback would be appreciated. Just thought I would throw in a shot of my little beauty as well...

bigrfish
08-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Head west towards the first point you see on the north shore or head over to Dog Island and try there.Both locations have some decent structure and are not to far away.Good Luck!

Elkaholic338
08-10-2016, 10:35 AM
Watch out if you get around the west side of Dog Island. There are lots of big rocks just under the surface a lot further out than you would think. just watch your depth finder closely and you should be OK. that being said, there can be good fishing off the point on the north west corner of Dog. North shore is always a good bet, but south shore can be great as well, just head straight south of Dog Island until you hit the break line where it goes from 16 feet to 6 feet and troll spinners or snap jig along the break line. lots of little indentations and pockets that can hold good fish.
if you don't want to head out even that far, fishing along the beach immediately to the right of the lake entrance when you head out always holds fish as well.
head north along the beach and fish around the 10 to 15 foot mark, either trolling spinner rigs again, or jigging on small pieces of structure, or even pulling crank baits in that same depth at 1.8 to 2.5 Mph.
good luck with your search, but your boat should be plenty for that lake, just keep an Eye on the wind, as it can come up fast, and when it is rolling 6 to 7 footers even my 20ft ranger seems small.

gopher67
08-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Toll around east side of dog island or in front of the cabins on the right side past the mouth of the river