PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for getting someone in fishing boat with low mobility

Super Dave
08-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Hey Fellow Boaters,

Looking for ideas to help get my dad into a 14' aluminum fishing boat, his legs aren't working very well these days. Potentially something to attach to dock or steps for inside the boat or something. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave.

vital shok
08-11-2016, 09:11 PM
What about a bar stool or some kind of rotating chair you can prop him on the outside sit him on it and rotate him in the boat.

oilngas
08-11-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm having the same issues with my 'dad" (age and only one arm now) getting into my 16' fish hawk. The solution I came up with is; beach the boat beside the ramp, now it basically takes two of us to get him in, the equipment I use is an overturned milk crate that I reinforced as the first step up, then onto an Aluminum step up platform that is about 18" high, then sort of roll him into the bow of the boat. Not very dignified but there it is. Once he in the boat we can get him up and into the bow fishing chair. Hope this helps.

omega50
08-12-2016, 08:44 AM
My BIL in Manitoba converted/built 2 pontoon boats for my sister and niece both in wheelchairs.
One smaller for day trips and a 40 footer for bigger water and overnight trips
Both now have front and side ramps for loading

omega50
08-12-2016, 08:46 AM
My BIL in Manitoba converted/built 2 pontoon boats for my sister and niece both in wheelchairs.
One smaller for day trips and a 38 footer for bigger water and overnight trips
Both now have front and side ramps for loading

This sort of idea is available commercially
http://www.kennedypontoons.com/outboard-mini-toon.html

KWO
08-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Same problem with my dad. The only way we can manage it is to use a 5' step ladder to put him in/out the boat while in the parking lot.

old dog
08-13-2016, 04:20 PM
After having a major injury myself. You need to think about safety and what happens if something goes wrong while in the boat. It's one thing to get him in but another if something goes wrong while out on the water, especially in a smaller craft. Hope all goes well as it will mean a lot to him