PDA

View Full Version : Removing Fishing Line Off The Spool

drhu22
08-14-2016, 10:47 AM
I used to cut it off the spool with a sharp knife, but its hard not to nick the edge of the spool. Does anyone have a better method? I suppose I could cast it out but I just want to do it at home.

the local angler
08-14-2016, 10:53 AM
most house holds have a cordless drill or other wise and i use a piece of wood dowel or something that fits into where the drill bit goes. for me i use a piece of wood dowel that fits inside the old empty spools and i just put old line back onto the old spools and drop them off at the local tackle stores that have the recycling for them.

drhu22
08-14-2016, 11:03 AM
most house holds have a cordless drill or other wise and i use a piece of wood dowel or something that fits into where the drill bit goes. for me i use a piece of wood dowel that fits inside the old empty spools and i just put old line back onto the old spools and drop them off at the local tackle stores that have the recycling for them.

Thanks for the reply, thats a good idea.

PerchBuster
08-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Tie it to the dog and chuck a tennis ball as far as you can, works every time lol!

drhu22
08-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Tie it to the dog and chuck a tennis ball as far as you can, works every time lol!

Haa!
Or I could give it to the cat... I think your method is better though.

jzz30tt
08-14-2016, 01:36 PM
I put a bolt through the lid of a pop bottle. Then screw the bottle back onto the lid. Pop it on the drill and tape on the line spin it off the spool.

burbotman
08-14-2016, 02:40 PM
Keep it simple, pinch between thumb and forefinger rotate hand to wrap line around it. When done slip off your hand and dispose of properly.

I am sure there are fancier ways

WildCats
08-14-2016, 11:09 PM
Berkley makes a line peeler, takes a few seconds to empty a reel.

WC

RavYak
08-14-2016, 11:24 PM
It doesn't take long to open bail/depress button and pull line off by hand.

neilsledder
08-15-2016, 07:52 AM
I always rap it around my hand then cut it off with scissors. That way it don't go into the trash in a full length. If I am planning a trip to Cabelas I will take it there they got a recycle bin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pixel Shooter
08-15-2016, 09:43 AM
.10c fix, best little deal. take a cap off an empty water bottle. put a 4" bolt with washer thru the cap after drilling hole. screw the cap onto an empty water bottle. attach to your drill. attach your line onto the water bottle. 30 seconds on 300 yards done :D. screw off the cap and throw the water bottle in garbage or return used line. Next time you need it, just screw an empty waterbottle on :)

TUFFBUFF
08-15-2016, 07:48 PM
I usually respool when camping so I use a lighter then toss er in the fire.

EZM
08-15-2016, 08:29 PM
It doesn't take long to open bail/depress button and pull line off by hand.

My thoughts exactly - by the time you rig up the contraptions (and hope they work) I can strip your spool twice and be eating a doughnut waiting for you to start test piloting your finger trap.

grab ...... pull ....... grab again ...... pull ...... and repeat.

RavYak
08-15-2016, 08:59 PM
My thoughts exactly - by the time you rig up the contraptions (and hope they work) I can strip your spool twice and be eating a doughnut waiting for you to start test piloting your finger trap.

grab ...... pull ....... grab again ...... pull ...... and repeat.

Unless you do what I did and spool 300 meters on too loosely and then have to pull that off by hand... That took a little bit longer lol but still not bad unless doing a bunch of reels in which case just take it in to a store and tell them to swap the line.