PDA

View Full Version : Flies

Walleye20
08-16-2016, 05:44 PM
Hey was just wondering what would be ur favourite flies for streams, I usually fish for 14-18 inch fish and would like some tips for flies. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Flieguy
08-16-2016, 05:50 PM
trout? what sized stream?

elk hair caddis, stimulators, hoppers this time of year are good dries.

try a hare's ear nymph, or a little wooly bugger streamer as well

pikergolf
08-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Favorites, hoppers, stimulators, CDC caddis. Most effective, wooly bugger.

millsboy79
08-16-2016, 06:24 PM
All my luck this year has been on smaller dries ... #12 mosquitoes and black gnats.

Lornce
08-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Match whatever the trout are eating

FlyTheory
08-16-2016, 09:55 PM
Oh man I think the OP means confidence flies for streams. Nymph, probably an evil weevil. Dry, foamulator. Streamers, mmmm maybe sparkle minnow.

Walleye20
08-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys definetally gonna tie some of those up!

wildbill
08-20-2016, 11:12 PM
Favorites, hoppers, stimulators, CDC caddis. Most effective, wooly bugger.

I remember when I first started to get serious about the sport many years ago one of my go to flies was the egg sucking leech as well as the crystal bugger, the egg sucking I bought at the Crowsnest angler, they were way better than anywhere else.

Bjay
09-12-2016, 10:05 AM
One of the deadliest flies I have ever used in a creek or rivers is a pheseant tail bead head in a size 14 or 12 scud hook. The fly needs to be tied with a small mallard wing on top, no longer than the body of the fly. It is just a tuft of feather. It is the white bared mallard that gives the fly the edge.
The other pattern is a Rolled Muddler, originally tied for sea run Cut Throat. For small streams a 3X #10 hook and for the larger rivers up to 3X # 6 hook. Remember that they must be tied sparse when it comes to the deer hair. The fly will work best in runs or faster water. In a hole or pool you need to give it some action.
Bjay

Off in the Bushes
09-12-2016, 12:23 PM
One of the deadliest flies I have ever used in a creek or rivers is a pheseant tail bead head in a size 14 or 12 scud hook. The fly needs to be tied with a small mallard wing on top, no longer than the body of the fly. It is just a tuft of feather. It is the white bared mallard that gives the fly the edge.
The other pattern is a Rolled Muddler, originally tied for sea run Cut Throat. For small streams a 3X #10 hook and for the larger rivers up to 3X # 6 hook. Remember that they must be tied sparse when it comes to the deer hair. The fly will work best in runs or faster water. In a hole or pool you need to give it some action.
Bjay

Can you post a picture of those flies?