PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Kayak Options

Demonical
08-17-2016, 09:59 PM
I have a Pelican Maxim 100 'fishing' kayak. It's a 10' long Sit-in style boat.

When I bought it I really didn't know too much about options for fishing kayaks. I kinda didn't think too much about the Sit-on style of boat.

I've had my kayak 2 years now, and cruise the McLeod River, in the Whitecourt area. As a river recreational paddling kayak, it's great.

But what I've learned over the two years that I've had it, is it's just not stable enough or big enough, for what I want to do.

So I'm looking for a better kayak.

Here's the kayaks I've been reviewing; several are kayaks that other guys have suggested I look at, and some are kayaks I've been looking at.

All are Sit-on style of boat. Prices are approximate.

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler, $1,050. Length: 13'6". Beam: 29-1/2". Weight: 67lbs.

Ascend FS12T, $600. Length: 12'0". Beam: 31". Weight: 77lbs.

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120, $1,200. Length: 12'3". Beam: 30". Weight: 63lbs.

Feelfree Lure 11.5, $1,300. Length: 11'6". Beam: 36". Weight: 75lbs.

Jackson Coosa, $1,625. Length: 11'3". Beam: 31.5". Weight: 63lbs.

Pelican Enforcer 120X Angler, price ??. Length: 12'0". Beam: 30". Weight: 67lbs.

Pelican The Catch 120, $1,000. Length: 11'8". Beam: 34". Weight: 69lbs.

All of these boats, except the Jackson Coosa, are available somewhere in the Edmonton-Calgary area stores. Don't know if that's available around here.

Hoping to get a bit of feedback on these, to go with online reviews that I've read on these.

And if there's other similar type kayaks for sale that people can recommend I'd love to hear those too.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/Imperiatus/Kayak/6%20lb%20walleye_zps9x5uwqvy.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Imperiatus/media/Kayak/6%20lb%20walleye_zps9x5uwqvy.jpg.html)
As you can see, my boat is pretty crowded, with my 6'3" 250lb self and all my gear...

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
08-17-2016, 10:02 PM
I'm surprised you haven't considered the Old Town Predator13. Great yak !

Tom Pullings
08-17-2016, 10:02 PM
I have a Wilderness Systems Ride 115 that I love.

RavYak
08-17-2016, 10:12 PM
The wilderness ride is a nice kayak. As mentioned in your other thread the tridents are getting a seat upgrade(which was their biggest weakness) next year. There is a new tarpon 130x that is really nice too.

If you don't want to spend the extra money then keep your eye on kijiji, there are actually a couple half decent boats on there right now(including a couple models you listed) and always the odd one being posted. Also phone around as some of the rental/demo boats will become available this fall.

Demonical
08-17-2016, 11:23 PM
A lot of my options have to do with availability.

There's some great fishing kayaks to chose from, but only so many of them are available around here. And I don't know all the places that carry these.

Got some research to do.

That Wilderness Ride 115 does look like a wicked kayak.

RavYak
08-17-2016, 11:38 PM
A lot of my options have to do with availability.

If you find a kayak that you really think would be good then find the local dealer and tell them you want them to bring you in one next spring when they get their new shipment in.

CDNPiper
08-17-2016, 11:58 PM
The Jackson Coosa is available in Edmonton. I bought my Jackson Big Tuna at Totem Outfitters and saw the Coosa there when I bought it. Love my Big Tuna for fishing with my wife or the kids and love the quality. If I was to buy a solo boat would definitely look at the Coosa. I'd also look at Wilderness Systems too.

dutchman
08-18-2016, 07:50 AM
I have an 18' open bow ski boat, and wanted something to go fishing in all these smaller lakes where motors are not allowed. I didn't want to break the bank, and wasn't even sure if I would like this (turns out this is a great way to go fishing). Here's my Ascend FS12T, purchased this spring. Very stable, easy to paddle, comfortable, a 4 hour stretch is no problem, lots of room to store gear. Not sure how you classify a kayak, entry level to super duper, but for the money, it has lots of features and so far am happy with the performance. I've only used it on lakes so no idea how it would handle on the river. But getting quite confident cruising around. Have been out in bigger waves coming over the front and handled it fine.

RMauthe
08-18-2016, 08:42 AM
I know the price is a significant jump, but I think the ability to "paddle" with your feet leaving your hands available for catching the big one would be fanastic! Not speaking from personal experience, but they look cool.

RavYak
08-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Hobies or other pedal kayaks are invaluable in certain situations. If you just want to get out on the water then you can have fun with a paddle kayak but if you really want the best fishing kayaks available then peddle is the way to go imo. Too bad they are so expensive but every once in a while used ones or demos come available for fair prices.

Demonical
08-18-2016, 01:44 PM
Hobies or other pedal kayaks are invaluable in certain situations. If you just want to get out on the water then you can have fun with a paddle kayak but if you really want the best fishing kayaks available then peddle is the way to go imo. Too bad they are so expensive but every once in a while used ones or demos come available for fair prices.

A pedal kayak would be useless to limiting, on the McLeod River.

There's many rapids we will run through, where there's only inches of water, and the boat has to slide across the gravel.

Pretty much has to be paddle.

RavYak
08-18-2016, 01:53 PM
A pedal kayak would be useless to limiting, on the McLeod River.

There's many rapids we will run through, where there's only inches of water, and the boat has to slide across the gravel.

Pretty much has to be paddle.

Yes they are useless on shallower waters, I use my OK Trident 13 on such waters.

For lakes and bigger rivers they have some fairly significant advantages but that is a different story(and one people can search on here as I am sure I have discussed it before).

Demonical
08-18-2016, 02:21 PM
I appreciate all the feedback on these different kayaks.

I take each kayak and look up Youtube video reviews, so very helpful!

I've watched video reviews of every single boat on this list and some that are not listed here.

They are all good boats. Certainly every kayak on this list is head and shoulders above my current kayak.

Dutch, I do like the look of the FS12T.

I have to say the kayak that appeals to me the most is the Pelican Catch 120. For one, I really like Pelican products.

Another thing is, it's basically the only kayak that is readily available to me, in small-town Whitecourt, as I can order it through Cdn Tire. As such, there's no shipping cost added on. Plus the price seems pretty reasonable to me, and me being a big guy, it looks perfect for my Frankenstein build. Haha!

The drawbacks in my current Pelican are not due to construction, durability, strength etc... just the flawed sit-in design, stability and size limit.

aulrich
08-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Undercurrents here in Calgary typically sells of it's rental boats every fall.

Yaha Tinda
08-18-2016, 04:41 PM
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=2031

Demonical
08-18-2016, 05:39 PM
Sorry I kind of high-jacked that other thread about Kayak fishing.

Saw these 2 excellent posts and decided to move them to this thread.

Hope you guys don't mind.

As for kayaks I believe Totem Outfitters is a Jackson dealer but no idea what they stock whether or not they would have a Coosa (thinking maybe not as I have never seen someone with one up here).

Glenmore sailboats carries Wilderness System kayaks which have some nice ones like the the Ride and Atak although again not sure what they have in stock.

Ocean Kayak Tridents are decent and I believe Cabelas and Fishinhole sell them but not sure on current stock and if you wait till spring they will be coming out with a new seat which would be worth waiting for.

The Catch 120 and Feelfree Lure are probably decent enough but won't paddle as nice as some of these other kayaks and won't have some of the options. The Old Town Predators are decent but heavy and not the best paddling either.

Undercurrents in Calgary carry the Jackson line of kayaks. They show a Coosa in stock right now. I bought my Kilroy from them a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it so far.

old dog
08-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Before I bought my wilderness 115x the store allowed me to take as many kayaks as I wanted to try out for nothing. I love this kayak. I knew it when I bought it the only downside was paddling longer distance. A longer kayak is better for that.

Demonical
08-18-2016, 06:08 PM
old dog, I looked at the video review of the Wilderness Ride 115. The transducer and fishfinder battery pod is an amazing thing! Does your boat have that?

What models of fishfinders/transducers work with it?

Where did you get yours?

In terms of the 'best' fishing kayaks I've looked at, the Ride 115 and the Jackson Coosa look like about the nicest boats out there.

But both are a bit pricey...

old dog
08-18-2016, 06:43 PM
Yes I have it. Had to buy the fish finder. It's installed in the capsule that come with the kayak. The transducer, battery and fish finder is all one unit then. I don't use it for some conditions. Will try to upload pics

old dog
08-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Here r a couple of pics

old dog
08-18-2016, 07:36 PM
Bought mine at aquabatics. In Calgary. I think the new 130 might have it as well. Ya not cheap. But was cheaper than the wife's paddle board from there. lol

Demonical
08-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Video reviews of some fishing kayaks I've been looking at.

Hope you enjoy.

Pelican Catch 120
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBWi2L7C_4

Jackson Coosa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reCf8ZoBky4

Ocean Kayak Trident 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBDfm1VibU

Ascend FS12T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBDfm1VibU

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Angler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeH980fQhLQ

Wilderness Systems Ride 115
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8wmNtbfVk

Standing demo of a Wilderness Ride 115
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReqkQofdYDo

Old Town Predator 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGSJKQyxgvE

Demonical
08-18-2016, 07:45 PM
Here r a couple of pics

That's a great feature, but is it designed just to work with Lowrance?

Some kayaks I've looked at are setup for just certain models.

I have a Garmin Striker 4DV on order for mine. But still uncertain how I will mount it. Maybe try the in-hull deal.

aulrich
08-19-2016, 09:16 AM
I use ram mounts for both of mine. On one I have a brand specific base on the other I have a "universal" , I use that term loosely since it did not line up well with my other finder. In the end I screwed the fish finder base onto a piece of 3/4" ply then screw the ply to the universal. Effective but not petty.

On my big tuna I just put the transducer in the live well on the cuda we just run the transducer cable though a 4" chunk of hollow pool noodle and run it up through a scupper hole.

The upside of the ram mounts is that I can switch between ice fishing mode and kayak mode in 2 min.

Demonical
08-19-2016, 03:22 PM
The Jackson Coosa is available in Edmonton. I bought my Jackson Big Tuna at Totem Outfitters and saw the Coosa there when I bought it. Love my Big Tuna for fishing with my wife or the kids and love the quality. If I was to buy a solo boat would definitely look at the Coosa. I'd also look at Wilderness Systems too.

Totem has the Jackson Coosa HD: colours are 'Bahama' and 'GI Jackson'.

$2,375.

idaman
08-19-2016, 03:35 PM
That's a great feature, but is it designed just to work with Lowrance?

Some kayaks I've looked at are setup for just certain models.

I have a Garmin Striker 4DV on order for mine. But still uncertain how I will mount it. Maybe try the in-hull deal.

Fishfindermounts.com

Demonical
08-19-2016, 03:47 PM
I use ram mounts for both of mine. On one I have a brand specific base on the other I have a "universal" , I use that term loosely since it did not line up well with my other finder. In the end I screwed the fish finder base onto a piece of 3/4" ply then screw the ply to the universal. Effective but not petty.

On my big tuna I just put the transducer in the live well on the cuda we just run the transducer cable though a 4" chunk of hollow pool noodle and run it up through a scupper hole.

The upside of the ram mounts is that I can switch between ice fishing mode and kayak mode in 2 min.

Sorry, what're Ram Mounts?

Talked to Glenmore Sailboats Edm today; they've got the Wilderness Systems Ride 135 in stock (in a couple diff colours). $1545.

Wish I had the time to go look at one.

Demonical
08-20-2016, 03:33 AM
Well I went ahead and ordered a Pelican Catch 120 tonight. The green camo jobby.

Expected delivery date is Sep, but I'm working 3 weeks straight anyway, so no big deal.

Should be able to spend some quality time on the water with it before season ends.

Probably a good thing I don't live closer to the ****ty or I woulda likely bought something more expensive! Haha!

bhlehr
08-25-2016, 08:16 PM
After using the Pelican Castaway for a year (Father's Day present), I purchased the Catch 120 last month. Have been to Wabamun and Pigeon Lake several times, including during some high winds and waves on Pigeon Lake. Very stable. May not get me to a fishing spot on the lake as fast as some others, but the trolling along the way is a lot of fun. I also put a small trolling motor on mine. Personally, I was more concerned with stability than speed, so it works perfectly for my needs.

Demonical
08-25-2016, 10:17 PM
bhlehr, which colour boat did you buy? Mine is the green camo.

Where did you get yours?

I've got a Garmin Striker 4DV ready to mount on mine, plus I have on order a Scotty 140 Transducer mount on order. Bought two, ridiculously expensive Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries to power it.

I'm watching kayak videos constantly on Youtube looking at how different guys rig theirs. :)

Do you have pics of your setup?

Pretty much all my fishing is going to on the McLeod River, near Whitecourt, but I might hit some of the small lakes too.

Flight01
08-26-2016, 09:07 PM
I ended up going with a 13 foot old town next canoe.
Got it on sale for $790
I have set up an anchor system.

Demonical
08-26-2016, 09:26 PM
Flight01, so you went with a canoe instead of a kayak?

Hmmm...

I can't wait to get my Catch 120!

The only good thing to say about waiting, is that I'm working straight through 'til Sept 6 anyway.

Plus it's been raining too much. The McLeod R is high and higher each day, and muddy. Muddier and muddier... :mad0030:

Flight01
08-26-2016, 10:26 PM
Check out the next by old town. It's considered a hybrid. But I call it a canoe. One person , easy to get around, I use a double bladed paddle. From across the pond you'd think I was in a kayak. I like it for the open space and 450 pound capacity. Rides a bit higher too.
A pulley system to slide my anchor point

Flight01
08-26-2016, 10:28 PM

Flight01
08-26-2016, 10:31 PM
A few trout for lunch

Sitkaspruce
08-26-2016, 11:03 PM
I looked at the Catch 120 and the Preception Pescador Pro 120 along with a few others and settled on the Pescador Pro 120. I bought it at Aquabatics and they were great to deal with.

http://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/products/pescador-pro-120

https://www.aquabaticscalgary.com/store/fishing-kayaks/3241-perception-pescador-pro-120.html

I am by no means a kayak expert, but comparing this one to a few others on the water, I know I made the right choice.

Stable, tracks well, easy to paddle and has lots of room for fishing and the seat is very comfortable. Have rigged it out with a Warner Skagit paddle and Scotty rod holders and gear tracks. Next spring will get the mount for my Lowrance and set that up. Have caught walleye, pike and rainbows from it and I am hooked!!!

Good luck on your purchase!!

Cheers

SS

Demonical
08-27-2016, 02:35 AM
Sitkaspruce, those Perception kayaks are pretty nice looking. When I was looking at options, I really liked them.

Again, in my case, cuz I'm in the small town, that had a lot to do with the choice I made. I'm pretty sure if I had lived in either Calgary or Edmonton, I'd probably have looked at Jackson, Wilderness Systems (I really like the look of the Ride 135) or maybe the Pescador.

Having said that, all the reviews by Catch 120 owners are extremely positive, and I'm certain I've also bought a fine kayak.

Flight01, that is also a pretty nice looking canoe-kayak that you bought.