PDA

View Full Version : Latest and Greatest on sonars?

smitty9
08-17-2016, 10:13 PM
A certain sale is coming up and was considering an upgrade in electronics. The newest sonar I have in the boat is 14 years old.

So what do you guys like? I assume different models would be recommended at different price points? If so, assume I am shopping in the $400 to $900 range. It will be used for a wide variety of fishing situations; walleye, stocked trout, now - tracking downriggers for lake trout, pike, everything in between. But it would be mostly used on your classic -pike-walleye-perch-whitefish lakes.

Speaking of upgrades, has Canada joined the 21st century in terms of digital hydro / bathymetry lake maps? I notice how some units brag about having a 10,000 lake database for continental US, and many saltwater coastlines. But what about AB (and western Canadian) lakes? Are we still in the dark ages?

Do many of you use chart plotting? GPS integrated trolling paths coordination with trolling motor steering?

Appreciate any help; so much choice out there. But I ain't buying no $2000 buck sonar!!

Smitty

Gordoats26
08-18-2016, 12:21 AM
I am no expert but I do know I bought a humminbird 898 with side imaging and down imaging and all that stuff. If I was to do it again I don't think I would bother with side imaging it seemed so cool when I was looking but for the extra cost I just never use it. I always have it on split screen map on half and plain old sonar on the other. I do love the I pilot link though it's a game changer so I would definitely go with a bird again.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

RavYak
08-18-2016, 01:55 AM
I am no expert but I do know I bought a humminbird 898 with side imaging and down imaging and all that stuff. If I was to do it again I don't think I would bother with side imaging it seemed so cool when I was looking but for the extra cost I just never use it. I always have it on split screen map on half and plain old sonar on the other. I do love the I pilot link though it's a game changer so I would definitely go with a bird again.

Once you learn to use side imaging you will realize when it is helpful. I thought it was stupid at first but kept playing with it and it has definitely helped me catch more fish.

Gordoats26
08-18-2016, 02:24 AM
Yeah maybe just seems to require that I pay to much attention to the screen to acually learn what it is telling me. It is probably more effective in shallow lakes I am thinking.

RavYak
08-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Yeah maybe just seems to require that I pay to much attention to the screen to acually learn what it is telling me. It is probably more effective in shallow lakes I am thinking.

It is effective up to 100 fow but most effective 10-30. You can find things you would otherwise miss or use it to follow structure edges. It takes some practice to figure out and works better on some lakes then others(lakes need to have structure in order to find structure).

SamSteele
08-18-2016, 09:50 AM
A certain sale is coming up and was considering an upgrade in electronics. The newest sonar I have in the boat is 14 years old.

So what do you guys like? I assume different models would be recommended at different price points? If so, assume I am shopping in the $400 to $900 range. It will be used for a wide variety of fishing situations; walleye, stocked trout, now - tracking downriggers for lake trout, pike, everything in between. But it would be mostly used on your classic -pike-walleye-perch-whitefish lakes.

Speaking of upgrades, has Canada joined the 21st century in terms of digital hydro / bathymetry lake maps? I notice how some units brag about having a 10,000 lake database for continental US, and many saltwater coastlines. But what about AB (and western Canadian) lakes? Are we still in the dark ages?

Do many of you use chart plotting? GPS integrated trolling paths coordination with trolling motor steering?

Appreciate any help; so much choice out there. But I ain't buying no $2000 buck sonar!!

Smitty

I put a Humminbird Helix 9 SI on my new boat this spring and love it. Coming from a Gen 1 Lowrance HDS 7. The Helix 9 (and up) is network capable and can run your iPilot Link electric motor. The Helix 5 and 7 are not able to network. If you find them on sale the 9 should be pretty close to the top end of your budget.

You asked about mapping. That's what drew me to the Helix series. They have a feature called Autochart that uses the sonar readings in real time to build bottom contour maps of the area you are on whatever lake. It has an internal storage for about 8 hours of recording or you can add a chip to add something like 10,000 hours of recording for $100-150 bucks. I use the mapping a ton. Lowrance has something similar but it records the data, you upload it to a website, it builds the map and you put that back on the chip for use. It seemed like more steps for me and I like having the data there right away. They could have streamlined the Lowrance system since I looked. I went Humminbird because I have a Minn Kota iPilot Link Terrova motor.

Here's how the system works for me now. Get to a new lake, flip on the Autochart feature and start mapping areas, contours, etc. Once I have an area mapped, I use the map on the Humminbird to identify the depth or contour that I want to fish and using the iPilot Link I tell the electric TM what depth contour line on the map to follow, which direction, and how fast. I can also tell it to go to a waypoint I entered or reverse a line I just ran. I set it to go and forget about it while I fish. If I get a fish I pause the motor or hit Spot Lock and stay there. Hit resume and off I go again.

I don't think that it is an exaggeration to say that the system has literally changed how I fish and improved my success rate dramatically. Of course, you still need to find the fishy spots. It doesn't do that for you...

SS

Walleyedude
08-18-2016, 10:16 AM
You should be able to grab the new Lowrance Elite 7 TI for very close to your price range at the sale.

You get a touch screen (once you've used a touch screen you'll never want to go back) sonar unit with CHIRP 2D sonar, StructureScan (DI/SI), wireless connectivity, and a single all in one transducer to install. It's also capable of NEMA 2000 network connection to connect other units for sharing waypoints and to the Motorguide Xi5 trolling motor.

As for mapping, the Elite 7 TI is fully Insight Genesis compatible. Check out the website and the list of lakes that have already been mapped at 1' contour intervals in AB and SK. The existing coverage is pretty incredible, it's by far the best ready made mapping available. Just sign up for a FREE account, download the maps for the lakes you want, and 5 minutes later you're fishing with unreal detail, no need to map it yourself. You also have the option to create your own maps at any time.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-CA/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/elite-7-ti-en-ca.aspx

https://gofreemarine.com/insight-genesis/

RavYak
08-18-2016, 10:59 AM
I haven't seen them in action yet but some of the cheaper Garmin units have create your own chart capabilities as well.

SamSteele
08-18-2016, 11:23 AM
I haven't seen them in action yet but some of the cheaper Garmin units have create your own chart capabilities as well.

I would have seriously considered the Garmin units if I could link them to the electric TM. They have some great features including panoptix. As it is if you want a Minn Kota TM linked you need the Humminbird and with Motorguide you need the Lowrance. Garmin is left out in no mans land. If they could come to terms with both electric TM manufacturers they would certainly become far more popular.

SS

RavYak
08-18-2016, 11:26 AM
I would have seriously considered the Garmin units if I could link them to the electric TM. They have some great features including panoptix. As it is if you want a Minn Kota TM linked you need the Humminbird and with Motorguide you need the Lowrance. Garmin is left out in no mans land. If they could come to terms with both electric TM manufacturers they would certainly become far more popular.

SS

I was kind of intrigued when I started researching them more. Their new mapping software was made to work on some existing units and offered for free. HB sure would never offer that.

Some of them come with half decent maps preloaded on them as well and price/capability they are right up there other then perhaps link if you are into that.

EZM
08-18-2016, 08:23 PM
I'd get a unit equipped with a GPS and a unit that talks to your trolling motor. Instant mapping is a HUGE feature as well.

To me You are Humminbird/MinnKotta OR Lowrance/Motorguide.

All of these are great products and you really can't go wrong either way really.

But you can't mix and match .....

Johnson Outdoors owns both Humminbird and MinnKota - so that marriage is exclusive.

Lowrance is owned by Navico / Motorguide is an Attwood company which happen to share an agreement through Brunswick Marine - so they are engaged and in Love.

This leaves Garmin single and lonely - looking for love.