PDA

View Full Version : Fly Tying Material

tbosch
03-17-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place near red deer that sells good quality fly tying materials. With back country sports going out of business it makes the pickins pretty slim.

jrs
03-18-2009, 05:51 PM
UFA has some stuff in stock, not a ton but at least some. Sportsmans Den had a little bit as well. This town definetly sucks for the flytying/ flyfishing types when it comes to tracking down supplies. What are you looking for in particular? I may be able to help you out as i have many many extra materials if you're really stuck at any point. I was going through it all the other day, amazing how much stuff a guy accumulates after 10 years of tying. Backcountry has some good deals with the 35% off clearance right now, hooks are now a bit cheaper than wholesale with marabou and some dubbing materials being pretty cheap compared to anything in the past 5 years or so.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-18-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place near red deer that sells good quality fly tying materials. With back country sports going out of business it makes the pickins pretty slim.

Tbosch , anywhere that sells , Superfly material , I find that stuff to be very high quality stuff , I use it daily .Its a little bit pricy but its really good .

tbosch
03-19-2009, 07:57 AM
I'll have to look for the superfly brand BBJ. Thanks for the info.

JRS I'm pretty new to tying so I'm unsure of exactly what I will be needing for materials. To start I had gone in to Back country with a gift certificate and bought just about every colour of rabbit strips and marabou I could find to start tying streamers. I am now wanting to start trying some dry fly patterns like the gnat's , BWO's, adams and maybe some hopper patterns. I would also like to tie some chironimid patterns and maybe a few different bead head nymph patterns. I will do some more research on what materials are required and let you know.

Travis

jrs
03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Let me know if you need any information or help and I'll try my best to help you in getting set up the rest of the way. A great way to get some dry fly material is by stopping at your taxidermy shop and seeing if he'll save you some tanned scraps from shoulder mounts or from discarded mounts. Elk, deer, sheep, goat, caribou, bear, beaver, etc scraps are really really useful for fly tying. Getting feathers through a shop is good too, pheasant (especially some of the domestic ones), turkey, geese, ducks all provide really good materials (or you just shoot some next fall, works just as good). The hackles is the most pricey part, a good dry fly grizzly or brown was running $40-$100 last time i needed a new one. Lasts for hundreds of flies but definitely seems like a lot of money for a chicken neck. If you're interested you can arrange to stop by my place in Red Deer here in the spring to take a look at the different materials/ supplies. I have some extra stuff you could simply have, like i said, it accumulates over the years.

Big.Bear
03-19-2009, 05:47 PM
The hackles is the most pricey part, a good dry fly grizzly or brown was running $40-$100

they price by quality and availability of the product. The better the quality of the hackle can help you in allot of ways.

MrDave
03-19-2009, 09:19 PM

Overlander in Innisfail has a fair supply and can get other supplies. Just north west of the legion.

tbosch
03-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Let me know if you need any information or help and I'll try my best to help you in getting set up the rest of the way. A great way to get some dry fly material is by stopping at your taxidermy shop and seeing if he'll save you some tanned scraps from shoulder mounts or from discarded mounts. Elk, deer, sheep, goat, caribou, bear, beaver, etc scraps are really really useful for fly tying. Getting feathers through a shop is good too, pheasant (especially some of the domestic ones), turkey, geese, ducks all provide really good materials (or you just shoot some next fall, works just as good). The hackles is the most pricey part, a good dry fly grizzly or brown was running $40-$100 last time i needed a new one. Lasts for hundreds of flies but definitely seems like a lot of money for a chicken neck. If you're interested you can arrange to stop by my place in Red Deer here in the spring to take a look at the different materials/ supplies. I have some extra stuff you could simply have, like i said, it accumulates over the years.

Thanks for all the info JRS. If you would be willing to give me some info in the spring that would be great. As far as dry fly tying I definitely need all the help I can get. I will look in to getting some materials from the taxidermist also but im wondering if I could keep the hair from the deer I harvest and prepare it myself.

jrs
03-20-2009, 03:16 PM
"I will look in to getting some materials from the taxidermist also but im wondering if I could keep the hair from the deer I harvest and prepare it myself."

The nice thing is taxidermy scraps are tanned and the bugs won't eat them. I'll let you know what i come up with here over the next bit anyway. Better get started on the streamers, April 1st is almost here, finally.

tbosch
03-21-2009, 06:44 AM
"I will look in to getting some materials from the taxidermist also but im wondering if I could keep the hair from the deer I harvest and prepare it myself."

The nice thing is taxidermy scraps are tanned and the bugs won't eat them. I'll let you know what i come up with here over the next bit anyway. Better get started on the streamers, April 1st is almost here, finally.

Amen Brother. It's been a long hardwater season. Have you been out to the raven this spring?

jrs
03-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Nope, haven't been out to any of the year round open water fisheries this year. I'm holding off till April 1st as i had some excellent days on a few rivers out west last spring (mostly spinning but this year i'll be taking the fly rod a bit more often). Big bullies and browns are sure a nice way to wake up after the long winter. Only another few weeks.

tbosch
03-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Nope, haven't been out to any of the year round open water fisheries this year. I'm holding off till April 1st as i had some excellent days on a few rivers out west last spring (mostly spinning but this year i'll be taking the fly rod a bit more often). Big bullies and browns are sure a nice way to wake up after the long winter. Only another few weeks.

I haven't had a chance to hit any open water either but in years past have had some luck out there in feb-march. April 1 is definitely another story though. Can't wait. Tight Lines.