PDA

View Full Version : Big Pike

bobbypetrolia
03-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey everyone......just sittin' here this morning looking at everyones pics of fish and wishing I was out there throwin' a line. Just wanted to share a pic of my biggest pike to date. Anybody wanna guess length/weight?
Yes, i had a valid license
Yes, it was released
No, it is not photoshopped (poor quality is a result of it being a picture of a picture as I do not have a scanner)
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/bobbypetrolia/everything002.jpg

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey everyone......just sittin' here this morning looking at everyones pics of fish and wishing I was out there throwin' a line. Just wanted to share a pic of my biggest pike to date. Anybody wanna guess length/weight?
Yes, i had a valid license
Yes, it was released
No, it is not photoshopped (poor quality is a result of it being a picture of a picture as I do not have a scanner)
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/bobbypetrolia/everything002.jpg

Ill be the first to give it a poke.
I say 55 to 60 inches
and 40 to 45 pounds.

Morph1
03-17-2009, 12:18 PM
I say the pike was 57" and weighed about 34 lbs,
but thats just my speculations based on this image :D

Very nice catch man !!,
Congratulations !!,

What lake man , what line and what lure ??

Cheers !

redneck posse
03-17-2009, 12:18 PM
holly sh*t that is one huge pike.

Buck Krazy
03-17-2009, 12:21 PM
looks spawned out, definate trophy!! I would say 50" and 32lbs

Off in the Bushes
03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I think it is 56.5" and 43 3/4 Pounds

goober
03-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Nice fish!!!
54"
37 LBS

bubbasno1
03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I also think it is around 56". So using one of the weight calculators (which has been stated to be correct 99% of the time) the weight must be.

61.79 lbs.

Very nice fish. Would love to catch one of those some day.

Bubba

JohninAB
03-17-2009, 12:39 PM
I would say 55 inches and around 32 lbs give or take.

High_N_Wide
03-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Well guys,

I'm not taking a guess but I would say that is an awesome fish and one to be proud of for sure.

For those of you that would like to use the calculators that are accurate 99% of the time:lol: Here are 2 links for you to try, please this is not meant to offend only to educate.

http://www.fishdreams.com/calculator.all_species.html

http://www.csgnetwork.com/fishfreshwtcalc.html

Great fish again and I don't care what the calculator says I would be smiling ear to ear with that fish!!

Trev

Redfrog
03-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Awesome fish!!:D

Big Red 250
03-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice pike, I wonder if that's how the name 'snake" came about.

bobbypetrolia
03-17-2009, 09:28 PM
What lake man , what line and what lure ??

Cheers !

I was using fishing line, a lure with a trebel hook, and can't remember which lake exactly.:lol:
:wave:

Buck Krazy......you were soooo close on both length and weight. To be honest, it was never actually weighed (awfully hard on those old girls) , but it was a 30 lb pike. Ish.
Thanks for the guesses........I wish it was as big as some of you said!!!

packhuntr
03-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Thats a pike. My quest for a 50inch northern is alive and well,,,, still. Theres one out there for me, I know it. Thats a true fish of a lifetime Bobby. Did she actually hit the golden 50" or was she just shy??

BBJ, when was the last time you ever saw a pike from North American waters cut a tape or scale at what you guessed... Come on man, I thought you knew your large predators.

FisherPotch
03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=bobbypetrolia;286921]I was using fishing line, a lure with a trebel hook, and can't remember which lake exactly.:lol:
:wave:

QUOTE]

LMAO

rocky97
03-17-2009, 09:59 PM
id say 52" and 34lbs

03-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Thats a pike. My quest for a 50inch northern is alive and well,,,, still. Theres one out there for me, I know it. Thats a true fish of a lifetime Bobby. Did she actually hit the golden 50" or was she just shy??

BBJ, when was the last time you ever saw a pike from North American waters cut a tape or scale at what you guessed... Come on man, I thought you knew your large predators.

I was going with the width of the boat.as I was trying to emagine it spread across the seats.

bobbypetrolia
03-18-2009, 02:43 AM
I must admit BSJ.....you being a professional angler and big pike tackle maker/expert I thought you'd nail this one............It was a hair over 50" and 30 lbs. No more. No less.
I know alot of you might argue this, but I can assure you, The tape was not stretched whatsoever, nor were the estimates on the scale weight. I also have two other almost identical pike to name......and pics, if you would like to see them......but there seems to be alot of negativity towards big fish caught lately on here so I am reluctant. Even though I have released EVERY pike over 40 inches I have ever caught (or guided to).

packhuntr
03-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Jeez man. 3 pike right a 50 inch.. Ive been looking, refining and hunting for 20 years for a pike like that!! Hair on ya man. The next time you take that trip to wherever you go, im going too,,, ok!!:lol: Its obvious that those caliber of pike just wont come out of southern sloughs as they would in comparison to strict C&R Northern Alberta lakes,,,, but we have them down here,,, its just a very rare fish. Heck, its a rare fish in any body of water thats going to own that 50 inch mark. Congrats to you! There is yet more proof of what a healthy fishery looks like fellas. I couldnt imagine what else you guys were slamming on the way to 3 50inchers.....
Attack / Photo / Release. Shes a tough one to argue fellas.

jrs
03-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Thats an awesome pike, i was going to guess 50'' and 25 lbs but i think the length is what made the girth hard to judge. Awesome fish, thanks for sharing the photo.

And, (sorry i suck at the quoting thing),

packhuntr said
"Its obvious that those caliber of pike just wont come out of southern sloughs as they would in comparison to strict C&R Northern Alberta lakes,,,, but we have them down here,,, its just a very rare fish. Heck, its a rare fish in any body of water thats going to own that 50 inch mark."

I'd agree 50'' pike are super super rare, i only know of one pike that broke 50'' being caught in Alberta. From a small slough east of Lethbridge. It only weighed 20 lbs though, was not a healthy specimen. The heaviest pike i've seen have been between 42-46'' long, not sure why but the girth seems to be limited as they get longer in southern lakes.

That pike in this thread is definetly an awesome fish, by North American Standards anyways.

happy perch fisher
03-18-2009, 06:28 PM
62inches 35pounds

03-18-2009, 09:20 PM
62inches 35pounds

Yeah see thats what I thought to , the picture I guess is miss leading .

happy perch fisher
03-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah see thats what I thought to , the picture I guess is miss leading .

Yah i didn't even read post it looks alot longer then it apperntly is maybe its the way there holding it. I remeber a picture of a pike being almost 70inches it was a old picture that was on here a while ago.

bobbypetrolia
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Pack, first off, I have not caught three 50 inch pike......but am gonna keep trying! The other two I mentioned were just shy (48" and 46") of the magic mark. You also nailed saying these were not the calibre of pike in our southern waters.......these were from the north. The 48" was from a drive-in lake, the other two were from fly-in......and yeah, there were tons of 40 inchers along the way. I totally agree with the strict catch and release policies at these lakes. Its the only way they get this big! Here are the other two that almost made the mark! :wave:

Morph1
03-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Those are great looking gators, very jealous :mad:
I can't even imagine the fight those would put on.
Great looking fish man.

Cheers !

highland
03-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Try this one.

bobbypetrolia
03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Try this one.

Do we seriously have to go thru this again? :mad3:
Thanks for the Hi-jack, appreciate it.

KyleM
03-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Those are pigs for sure.
Nice to see you put em back on their doorstep too!