PDA

View Full Version : Wends March 18th Suggestions

jts1
03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Was looking to get out with Sucram tomorrow for the day. Any suggestions on where a guy should head to? Some nice trout would be good Chain and Spray trout is all I have had all winter. Thanks guys.

Leonidas
03-17-2009, 01:37 PM
What kind of fish are you looking for?

jts1
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Trout would be nice but as long as we get on the fish I will be happy. Allmost time to hang up the hardwater gear and get the fly rod out.

Leonidas
03-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm not the guy to ask if it's trout you're looking for, but if you want Lake Whitefish, Burbot and Pike, one of Sylvan Lake or Gull Lake is doing well this time of year.

jts1
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
We just did a 4 day trip. Went to Gull , Sylvan , Pine , and Burnstick. My partners didnt fair to well going to be hard to get them up there again for hardwater

Mish
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
I never fish for trout anymore, so I'm not sure...but I heard from a reliable source that McLean has trout, plus it's close to Calgary.

jts1
03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Thnx I will see what I can find on it

Mish
03-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Just head out onto HWY 66. Powerbait and Velveeta works best...as with all stocked trout :lol: Never fished it in the winter, and last time I fished it was summer probably two years ago...but you were still able to get some decent sized ones (around 2lbs).

bubbasno1
03-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Depending how far you want to drive. Payne has been producing well for me this year. PM me if you want more info.

Bubba

calgarygringo
03-17-2009, 03:10 PM
We were at Pine Coulee yesterday at our usual south of the boat launch spot and the burbs and wallys were biting like crazy. Almost gauranteed fun late afternoon evening bite. We caught our limit and some but probably could have stayed for more fun but ran out of bait. See my report from yesterday.

jts1
03-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes we night fish PCR often. In fact we were there with a few forum members on Sunday night after the year end on Chain. Auger cut the ice like butter. Dont think it will hold out much longer down there temps going to be real high the rest of the week

Freedom55
03-18-2009, 07:35 AM
My buddy and I are planning a little trip to Dickson pond Thursday A.M. and Strubel in the P.M. as I have had a little luck at both lately.

BushWacked
03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
My buddy and I are planning a little trip to Dickson pond Thursday A.M. and Strubel in the P.M. as I have had a little luck at both lately.
what have you been using at dickson for bait and tackle? I have not been out on dickson this year yet but would like to before the ice starts getting crappy. can you drive right onto it with a vehicle and if you can can I get a car onto it? I have a few bottom bouncers I bought from Castaway sports in Sylvan which they say is the only thing working on sylvan right now.

Freedom55
03-18-2009, 07:34 PM
I use a 3/8 oz. sinker with two small snelled hooks (I always use blood hooks now and I snell my own) tied 1/2 metre (18") and 1 metre (3') up from the weight on 4# mono. Use a rod holder and a bell. Let the sinker sit an inch off the bottom to avoid the funny looking fish with the ugly lips.
The locals tell me that power bait is an effective repellant for this coarse, illegally introduced species but 1/2 a dew worm per hook works for me. Last Saturday the ice was getting slushy at the ramps but walking on beats getting your car stuck.