PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for sturgeon fishing

wolf
03-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I am not sure if I have to buy a new gear for sturgeon fishing. ( I am full aware that there is 0 limit) My fishing rod/line goes up 12LB. Do I need to buy braid line vs. mono?

Any help is appreciated! and thank you in advance.

steve
03-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I am not sure if I have to buy a new gear for sturgeon fishing. ( I am full aware that there is 0 limit) My fishing rod/line goes up 12LB. Do I need to buy braid line vs. mono?

Any help is appreciated! and thank you in advance.

I'm assuming your fishing the SSR or NSR, you can espect to tie into a fish weighing more than 20lbs but without teeth 20lb line would be plenty( I have caught them on 8lb mono)... I would spool some 20lb braided on. Your reel might be able to spool 150 yards of 12lb mono like most reels say they can handle. 20lb braided line has a thinner diameter so you can get more 20lb braided on there then 12lb mono.

Hope this helps

pdfish
03-18-2009, 12:41 PM
What Steve says is true, you can get away with 20 lb. BUT, if you're going to braid, make sure your rod can handle it. I've seen a lot of rods where the braid has bit into the guide once you hook onto a big fish, when this happens its only a matter of time til the line goes snap. I find that spinning rods are more susceptible to this than casting rods. Please, do yourself and the fish a favor and get yourself a fairly heavy duty casting rod and baitcasting reel. What works for walleye and pike won't work if and when you ever hook into a 50 lb + sturgeon.

sturgeonhound
03-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I agree with PDfish....for sturgeon gear, go big or go home. For sure use 20-30lb braid and a good level wind reel with a good heavy rod. The quicker you can get them in and release them, the better for the fish.

SH

wolf
03-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Thank you all, it looks like I will have to buy a new rod and reel.

buckmaster
03-18-2009, 11:17 PM
What Steve says is true, you can get away with 20 lb. BUT, if you're going to braid, make sure your rod can handle it. I've seen a lot of rods where the braid has bit into the guide once you hook onto a big fish, when this happens its only a matter of time til the line goes snap. I find that spinning rods are more susceptible to this than casting rods. Please, do yourself and the fish a favor and get yourself a fairly heavy duty casting rod and baitcasting reel. What works for walleye and pike won't work if and when you ever hook into a 50 lb + sturgeon.

x2, i use 20ib braided line and have caught some decent sturgeon without a problem.Also a good to have a good reel for braided line.