PDA

View Full Version : Burntstick Lake Tips???????

BushWacked
03-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm taking my beautiful girlfriend out for a day of fishing at Burntstick Lake tomorrow morning. I tried a few spots in the past 2 days with little success. Is there anyone with knowledge of this lake to give me any tips on where to try out frst? I heard there were perch, walleye and jacks in this lake but so far have only caught a small slough shark. My girlfriend has had little success all winter fishing on Pine Lake and Sylvan Lake. I just want to see her haul in a bunch of fish so she doesn't get discouraged from ice fishing altogether. Thanks for your time.

nicemustang
03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Hmmm...Burnstick has been a challenge this year....too much food for the perch to eat. But if you can find the right spot, you should be catching lots of little ones. You should still be fishing deep, 28 - 30 FOW is where they should be. Right of the west shore on the break off, in 28-30 FOW and you should catch something. What are you using for tackle? I like to use hali jigs or forrage minnow spoons with maggots.

kostianych
03-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I was there on Sunday :) thanks NM for the tips :)))
went to the West side boat launch, in 20-25 FOW, used Marmish stuff :) it was a blast......on my camera I could see up to 15-20 perch right under our holes :)))) managed to keep 5 fish from 5 to 7 inch, and released a lot of small ones :)))))))))
good luck

BushWacked
03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Hmmm...Burnstick has been a challenge this year....too much food for the perch to eat. But if you can find the right spot, you should be catching lots of little ones. You should still be fishing deep, 28 - 30 FOW is where they should be. Right of the west shore on the break off, in 28-30 FOW and you should catch something. What are you using for tackle? I like to use hali jigs or forrage minnow spoons with maggots.
I have been using minnows with bottom bouncers and 3 prong treble hooks. I've never caught perch before so I'm not up to speed on bait/tackle combinations or depths. Thanks for the input. I'll use this information wisely. There were a few older fella's fishing the west side of the lake yesterday and they had the camera's, sonar and the whole bit. they said where they were had hundreds of perch but not many were biting. maybe I'll try the maggot and forage spoon combo. I'll let you know how we make out. Tight Lines!

BushWacked
03-18-2009, 02:41 PM
I was there on Sunday :) thanks NM for the tips :)))
went to the West side boat launch, in 20-25 FOW, used Marmish stuff :) it was a blast......on my camera I could see up to 15-20 perch right under our holes :)))) managed to keep 5 fish from 5 to 7 inch, and released a lot of small ones :)))))))))
good luck
whats Marmish stuff?

kostianych
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
whats Marmish stuff?

just go to w w w. marmish.ca .....this is a Russian/European style of fishing.....works great in Canada :)))))

nicemustang
03-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Lots of fish in this lake no doubt, but like I said....lots of food for them to eat so they rarely bite all that good. If you hit the right day with pressure and moon phase, it's non stop action no doubt.

Set tip ups in 5-15 FOW near the west boat launch to the north side and you'll have non stop pike action all day.

kostianych
03-18-2009, 04:24 PM
that is correct about the pressure and moon :)

marlin1
03-20-2009, 01:33 PM
how did you make out Bushwacked?

BushWacked
03-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Hey Marlin, I didn't get to go yesterday. babysitter backed out and the kiddies are just too young to bring out for the day. But I'm gonna try and swindle and go tonight for a few hours. jts1 was super nice to me and gave me a few tips that I'm going to use wisely.

marlin1
03-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I was thinking of hitting this lake soon , curious as to the driving conditions on the lake , post results if you head out please

Springer
03-20-2009, 10:06 PM
You know the last couple years i caught some of my biggest Perch in Burntstick. Last weekend I caught my smallest,they all were barely big enough to bite the hook. It was a big disappointment but still better than a day at work Eh !

marlin1
03-21-2009, 10:24 AM
doesn't sound too promising. Thinking of going out tomorrow but the snow storm could be interesting, never stopped us before though. I'll post results if I go. Anybody been recently , like the last few days?

BushWacked
03-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Hey Marlin, I was out on friday afternoon for a few hours on the lake with my monte carlo. It was a bit hairy in some places as I seen the slush starting to develop under the hardpack. still drove over the lake without getting stuck. although with the new snow I'm sure you'll be fine if you have a truck. The ice on the shore near the west boat launch looks to be on the verge of being too thin. I think the next few days will be alright to go out but if this warm temps keep up, it won't be long. Be safe. The north boat launch is getting a bit soft also but access is still there.

marlin1
03-23-2009, 08:56 AM
thanks for the report , I did not go on Sunday because of the storm. I think the snow won't help things up there.