PDA

View Full Version : Gull lake conditions

slingshotz
03-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Anyone have some recent Gull ice conditions? Would like to try it out for the first time this Sat and I'm wondering if it'll hold up to drive on still (have 4WD).

If it's not suitable for driving, I'd appreciate some suggestions on where to walk out from.

Thanks in advance.

tchow
03-18-2009, 06:44 PM
This is from a previous post. Going into this weekend, the main trail will be fine.

Was out Friday with Camshaft. Got on Brownlows and went North to the points. Main trail is good and it goes thru a couple of drifts. Had no problem in Auto 4. Would not suggest to veer of main trail as a couple guys with 1/2 ton 4x4 got stuck in drift venturing around. Only if you have a good tires or with a lift.
Set up first by the first point and seen some Whites but no luck. Managed to get a couple of Burbs. They were Hens and plump. Eggs were starting to come out.
Packed up around 11ish and headed to the second point. There is a Pressure ridge to the East of shore. Follow the trail as there is a safe place that everyone has been crossing over. Seen one truck drive over at different spot but he's got more guts than I do. Lots of vehicles and people catching Whites and Lings. One guy got into a nice 6-7 lb Ling. We had more fun with the Ling.Spawn should be this weekend. Whites are starting to get aggressive again.
Trails should be much better going into the weekend. If 2WD, might be wise to chain up first. We did assist twice in helping guys to get out of drifts. Stay on the paths or spend some downtime digging out.
Good luck !