PDA

View Full Version : New species landed!

JareS
09-02-2016, 01:46 PM
The other day I tried targeting the 2 inch minnow species I saw hanging out in the weeds. End up landing a few Longnose Dace. Never caught one with the hook itself, but they would bite onto the rubber band worm and I was able to "land" the fish

Do you think this counts as a fish caught or 'angled' ??

Have trapped minnow species but thats a different list than the species caught by fishing list. Should this count as a fish angled or should I go back with a smaller hook and try again?

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/Phaneuf4PM/Mobile%20Uploads/image.png (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Phaneuf4PM/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.png.html)

WhitefishLady
09-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Totally counts! Thats cool. Ive caught lake chub before. Thats a pretty good sized longnose dace.

the local angler
09-02-2016, 05:22 PM
hellz ya it counts, a tip for you if you want to catch those little buggers. tiny #18 hook tipped with a maggot and a tiny fly fishing float. every where i go i see them and target them on a regular basis or my back up species if the game fish are not cooperating. like the old days of a piece of willow some line a hook and a float with a bucket of worms when i was growing up.

waterninja
09-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Thats great Jare. I wouldn't want to be the fellow who has to fillet that fish. lol

Red Bullets
09-02-2016, 11:58 PM
hellz ya it counts, a tip for you if you want to catch those little buggers. tiny #18 hook tipped with a maggot and a tiny fly fishing float. every where i go i see them and target them on a regular basis or my back up species if the game fish are not cooperating. like the old days of a piece of willow some line a hook and a float with a bucket of worms when i was growing up.

X2. I was going to suggest a size # 22 and maggot using 1/2 lb. test thread for line.

Over the pond in Great Britain or somewhere around there they have a fishing derby for the smallest fish. Maybe we need a minnow derby here.

You could use a dead dacy minnow for bait. I used to catch a few minnows before fishing the lakes for game species.