PDA

View Full Version : Fishery management

Redfrog
09-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Got an email from a buddy who fishes Lake Powell in AZ.

It has always seemed to me that the Americans manage their fisheries much better than we do. Alaska salmon is an example and so is this.

"Striped bass went crazy around the end of April through May. My daughter and I caught about 70 pounds of striped bass in 2.5 hours and had to quit fishing because we ran out of room in the live wells. Large catches of striped bass were common for 2-4 pound size fish. There is no limit for striped bass and walleye on Lake Powell."

Big lake, lots of pressure and still seems like quality fishery.

Looks like the same thing with Pheasant management in the Dakotas.

Are the politics that different?

huntsfurfish
09-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Not politics.:)

Kinda apples to oranges.:)

You do realize how far south that is?
Increased growing season and more fertile waters.

Also not a particularly popular species.

SNAPFisher
09-04-2016, 05:51 AM
Agreed. Not a good comparison. Also just the size of Powell. Closest in size would be Lake Athabaska. I'm not hearing the fishing is bad at Lake AthB due to regs.. Still not a great comparison as you really could not find two places more extreme in their differences and species.

Jorg
09-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Agreed. Not a good comparison. Also just the size of Powell. Closest in size would be Lake Athabaska. I'm not hearing the fishing is bad at Lake AthB due to regs.. Still not a great comparison as you really could not find two places more extreme in their differences and species.

Lake powell is 658 sq km --Lake Athabasca is 7850 sq km fyi

aulrich
09-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Can't speak to lake Powell but I would suspect the fishery is supported by a stocking program . Lots of fisheries south of the border seem to work that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking moose
09-04-2016, 04:19 PM
As stated, fish will reach sexual maturity much faster and begin producing years before a cold northern lake ever could.

huntsfurfish
09-04-2016, 04:48 PM

Just imagine a lake that is another third bigger than Diefenbaker(about 430 sq km)

Four of our bigger lakes/reservoirs south of Calgary: St Mary, Newel, Mcgreggor and Travers have only a combined 177.8 sq km.

Havent worked it out but could almost use all fishable water bodies south of Edmonton.:)

SNAPFisher
09-05-2016, 06:43 AM

Thanks, yeah, I reread that and looks like I'm way off. So strike that part of the conversation.

Brandonkop
09-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Powell is a huge lake and there is hardly any pressure. Completely different. The stripped bass reproduce like perch and will stunt in some lakes due to high reproduction. They do not stock striped bass or walleye in powel. Both non native introduced species that flourish. I also don't think they have natives netting their waters at power.

They made the columbia river in Washington and Oregon no limit on walleye and bass as well to help with trout and salmon stocks. Sometimes no limit has nothing to do with the fish but for protection of native species.