PDA

View Full Version : 1187 magazine plug

Twobucks
09-03-2016, 01:21 PM
In a crummy run of luck I've lost the magazine plug for my older 1187. Long story short it flew into the grass and the one I whittled out of poplar isn't going to cut it forever.

Any suggestions where I could buy a replacement in Canada? Parts from the US get out of whack pretty fast with exchange, duty and shipping.

Thanks all

elkhunter11
09-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Cabela's has generic plastic ones that you cut to length. I used one in an 870, and it worked just fine. They are very affordable.

mgvande
09-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Could you use a piece of dowl material from home hardware? That would be cheap.

Flieguy
09-03-2016, 02:23 PM
who says the one you whittled out of poplar won't last forever? I've owned a few shotguns whose factory plugs were cheap wooden dowels, including grandpa's winchester. That thing must have worked for 40 years

elkhunter11
09-03-2016, 02:27 PM
The plastic ones from Cabela's are $6.99, and they don't absorb moisture like wood does.

Dick284
09-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Mine is made outta solid brass, had a machineist buddy turn it for me. Sure tempers the recoil of those 3-1/2"ers.

Twobucks
09-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the replies - the green willow was going to sow rust but I wasn't about to quit hunting for the day.

I like the other suggestions as well - I'll take a look at Cabelas for the generic unit. Frustrating day yesterday - came home with one mallard, lost another and burned a lot of shots on some very hit-able birds. I think the dog is still mad!

elkhunter11
09-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the replies - the green willow was going to sow rust but I wasn't about to quit hunting for the day.

I like the other suggestions as well - I'll take a look at Cabelas for the generic unit. Frustrating day yesterday - came home with one mallard, lost another and burned a lot of shots on some very hit-able birds. I think the dog is still mad!

Shooting skeet or sporting clays once per week for a month before the season opens will likely make your hunting far less frustrating.:)

Salavee
09-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Could you use a piece of dowl material from home hardware? That would be cheap.

All the real old repeaters had wood dowel plugs.

Twobucks
09-03-2016, 10:54 PM
Shooting skeet or sporting clays once per week for a month before the season opens will likely make your hunting far less frustrating.:)

Haha! You'd think so, wouldn't you? But despite shooting more trap and skeet than I have in years.... You see where the frustration comes from?!!