PDA

View Full Version : cochrane lake

daniel
03-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Do anybody ice fish Cochrane Lake that's north of town?
Thank you ,
daniel

jts1
03-18-2009, 10:14 PM
I have heard mixed reviews about Cochrane Lake. Some say there is Pike and Perch but it has been bone dry in past years as well. Even though it is in the fishing regs and "MAY" have the odd fish, I don't think it is worth the time, and would focus my efforts else where, as there are other good fisheries in the area.

icefever
03-19-2009, 03:07 PM
May as well go fish at your local arena. You would catch more. There are no fish in Cochrane Lake

nicemustang
03-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Plus, this is just rumor, I hear the locals on the lake don't like it and may "shoot" at you....I know that's probably extreme.

SuCraM
03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Plus, this is just rumor, I hear the locals on the lake don't like it and may "shoot" at you....I know that's probably extreme.

X2 on that man I went there a couple of years ago and a few of the locals were rude and told me it was a private lake so I left. But I found out the lake is not private if it is in the fishing regs. Just need to find public access which may be a task. Overall I wouldn't waste my time.

WalleyeDeitz
03-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Grew up around there and some years Cochrane lake was completely dry, at least from where I was looking at it. Always thought it was some kind of sick joke that it was in the regs....I guess there must be a couple fish that over summer in the alkaline slough mud. I think as mentioned abouve that you would have better luck fishing at the Cochrane arena. Try drilling your hole on the north end of the ice (visitors end) about 2 yards to the right of the net. Good luck.

LongDraw
03-20-2009, 06:55 AM

Gotta love the snooty homeowners that have their home on the banks of an alkaline mosquito laden swamp...

Obviously a marketing genius that bought this land and sold lakeside lots.

AlbertaAngler
03-20-2009, 07:06 AM
The cochrane lakes in the regs under ES1 refers to a lake just north of Hill Spring in the Pincher Creek/Waterton area.

daniel
03-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Thank you guys, i won't go there for sure.
I was looking for a place around Calgary where i can fish few hours after work in the afternoon and i don't have to drive too long.
Do you have any sugestion? I am not very experianced.
Thank you.
daniel

AlbertaAngler
03-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Thank you guys, i won't go there for sure.
I was looking for a place around Calgary where i can fish few hours after work in the afternoon and i don't have to drive too long.
Do you have any sugestion? I am not very experianced.
Thank you.
daniel

Depends on what you're fishing for.

For Stocked trout:
Winchell by watervalley is fairly close if you're in the NW. If you're a Cochrane resident then Mitford ponds is an option during the summer (no ice fishing allowed) you can find the rules for Mitford on the Cochrane website.

River trout:
Tons of options, but I'll let someone a little more qualified give you tips on these. I've only fished a few but plan to hit a little more this summer.

For other species:
None close enough for a couple in the evening that I know of but I would love to be enlightened if there is.