PDA

View Full Version : Anchor winch

TROLLER
09-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Any one use an electric anchor winch?

I see some cheap ones from China for just over 100 but reviews say they are garbage. Minn Kota makes what looks like a decent one for under 300 but reading it says you have to add 15lbs of steel shot to balance it out, that adds another 70 so now it is getting up there.

Any brands someone uses that works and does not cost 500 bucks?

bat119
09-05-2016, 11:46 AM
I've had the Minn Kota deckhand 25 on my 15' Jon Bot for the last 10 years, I use the plastic river anchor with some scrap lead.
I melted the lead with a tiger torch through some 1/4" steel mesh into a bucket of water making pellets. Its the handiest thing on my boat,push a button and your anchored push the other button and it comes up. The anchor holds the boat well sometimes I have to use the motor to pull it out of the bottom then let it hang in the water until the mud and weeds fall off.

TROLLER
09-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Thanks for your imput that is the one I was looking at. Question: did you have to put shot or some kind of weight on the winch itself to keep it stable

I looked at the manual and it indicated you should put 15lbs of steel shot inside a cavity in the winch itself.

bat119
09-05-2016, 06:32 PM
No mine is just bolted down on my bow
I looked at it after I posted mine is the deck hand 15 with the plastic anchor I filled with lead. It has 60 ft of line the anchor holds good in 25 ft. The deckhand has a fast retrieve doesn't take long to come up.

Lambo
09-06-2016, 11:12 AM
I had the basic Bass Pro Shop electric anchor on my last boat, then I ordered the wireless remote control from the US. Worked ok, it was a little slow so you have to pulse the retrieve so your line doesn't get all tangled in the spool. The 25 lb electric anchor surprisingly had a lot of pulling power. I used it as a winch to help get my jet boat off a gravel bar.

yetiseeker
09-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Any one use an electric anchor winch?

I see some cheap ones from China for just over 100 but reviews say they are garbage. Minn Kota makes what looks like a decent one for under 300 but reading it says you have to add 15lbs of steel shot to balance it out, that adds another 70 so now it is getting up there.

Any brands someone uses that works and does not cost 500 bucks?

All I can say is "Minnkota Terrova".

With spot lock technology in the head of the trolling motor, I almost never use a manual anchor anymore. Hit the spot lock and you're good to go!

RavYak
09-06-2016, 04:05 PM
All I can say is "Minnkota Terrova".

With spot lock technology in the head of the trolling motor, I almost never use a manual anchor anymore. Hit the spot lock and you're good to go!

If you don't mind constant whirring of a trolling motor. Old fashioned anchoring still has it place in my books although spot lock is the way to go on deep water like for say lakers.

The Reel Deal
09-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Haven't tossed an anchor since I got spot lock. Only in the boat cuz it's law

jeffrey929
09-07-2016, 04:24 AM
Spot lock is awesome!

huntsfurfish
09-07-2016, 11:21 AM
If you don't mind constant whirring of a trolling motor. Old fashioned anchoring still has it place in my books although spot lock is the way to go on deep water like for say lakers.

Also the way to go in shallow water too. They are awesome!
I have both the Minkota Terrova with spot lock and Motorguide Xi5 with anchor and either one is better than a regular anchor. Although Xi5 is far better in this function.
Have not lifted an anchor since I bought them:)

That said I still keep one (smaller) anchor in the boat for safety reasons.

RavYak
09-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Don't you find it annoying in shallower water on a windy day? I just remember being annoyed by the trolling motor constantly running and still barely holding on spot when an anchor would have held us perfectly and quietly. Ive only used them a couple times though as they don't fit on my kayak lol.

Lambo
09-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Don't you find it annoying in shallower water on a windy day? I just remember being annoyed by the trolling motor constantly running and still barely holding on spot when an anchor would have held us perfectly and quietly. Ive only used them a couple times though as they don't fit on my kayak lol.

I agree with you RavYak. I only use spotlock on lakes on not so windy days. An anchor still works better in the river. River current and windy lakes drains the battery unnecessarily.

Reel Deal is too wimpy to pull up an anchor so he uses spotlock. :fighting0030:

yetiseeker
09-07-2016, 01:32 PM
I do agree in shallow water I Still use an anchor. Spot lock will rev up and down, and I believe spook fish due to the constant adjustment factor.

However, mid to deep water - the spot lock is the only way to go IMO. It removes significant amount of "wag" or movement from the boat when it's being blown around in the wind.

Moving water - you wouldn't be blown around so much due to the current.

But on lakes, etc, the wag comparing an anchor to the spot lock is way less with spot lock. I know for one - I enjoy and fish with spot lock more than pulling an anchor.

The Reel Deal
09-07-2016, 01:51 PM
I agree with you RavYak. I only use spotlock on lakes on not so windy days. An anchor still works better in the river. River current and windy lakes drains the battery unnecessarily.

Reel Deal is too wimpy to pull up an anchor so he uses spotlock. :fighting0030:

got a bad back from pushing your jet boat off a gravel bar, now i have to work smart - not hard

huntsfurfish
09-07-2016, 09:23 PM

Not at all. Only trouble I had was in a shifting gusting wind, and an anchor would have been more trouble. Agree on kayak would be to much. But it sure beats pulling 2-22lb anchors in a tournament.:)

The older a guy gets the more you appreciate spot lock or anchor lock.:)

Northern Bob
09-08-2016, 12:49 PM
First thing I did on the used boat I bought was take off the MK deckhand. It was the heavier of the two models they have on a 17.5 dual console. I could see it being useful in certain styles of fishing, but not for what I'm usually doing. I have a Terrova I Pilot with spot lock which I find is extremely useful.