PDA

View Full Version : Maligne Lake Spin Casting

shredzoo7
09-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have read through most if not all of the Maligne lake posts, but I just was searching for some more current info on some specifics that I was wondering about.

I'll be up there this weekend with the lady and was wondering if anyone could help a brother out on how to set up the trolling line for a spin cast. I'm a fly fisher, so I have no clue how to set it up for her. I really NEED her to catch something if you know what I mean haha. I know there's no guarantees on any fish, but I would like the best possible chance for her to catch.

Anyway, I'm looking at specifics like 2 or 3 way swivel, how to properly weight it to get to the depth and leader length. Any assistance would be appreciated. I have an assortment of Flatfish, Raps, and Mepps for her to use. Thanks.

James

TimboLefty
09-06-2016, 01:20 PM
You could tie on a blade like a medium williams wobbler,six or 8 feet of fluorocarbon line and use flies. See a lot of people fishing like that.

shredzoo7
09-06-2016, 03:46 PM
hmm interesting. I guess that beats using non lead weights that are always expensive.

RavYak
09-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Make sure you review the regulations as there is no lead allowed under a certain size(can't remember what it is off the top of my head). I have never actually used a 3 way setup effectively, it is kind of tricky as you need a line counter to do it consistently. Best way is to set it up how you think is good then go find what depth it hits bottom to check if you are actually fishing the depth you want to be at. This is where if you had a line counter you could always just let the same amount of line out and always hit the same depth, without you just need to try and be somewhat consistent when letting line out.

RavYak
09-06-2016, 04:03 PM
You could tie on a blade like a medium williams wobbler,six or 8 feet of fluorocarbon line and use flies. See a lot of people fishing like that.

You would still need a weight or downrigger or would be fishing only a handfull of feet down.

smitty9
09-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Most tackle shops carry non lead options for weight. You can weight the Williams Wobbler or just the plain line with tin - or other non lead substitute - split shot.

That way you can weight your line and try the W.W. or try trolling a rapala, or try trolling a flatfish / hotshot.

Smitty

shredzoo7
09-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Well, I tested her setup with a fly and bubble and to my surprise it worked last night stripping in a streamer. I'm thinking of just keeping it simple with a barrel swivel with non lead split shots and a long leader to replicate my type 7 sinking fly line.

LutherDLG
09-07-2016, 11:24 AM
I was there about a month ago and actually had really good luck casting from shore off the points with big drop offs. We were canoeing and trolling but took a few breaks to pull up on shore and I had better luck from shore than I did trolling. Kamlooper Jr. spoon was the hot ticket - I just let it sink for a few seconds of the dropoff and landed 4 brooks in about half an hour with a slow retreive.

Hope it helps.

shredzoo7
09-07-2016, 12:00 PM
Nice, I figure I won't wander out too far since I'm only bringing a couple batteries with me and a 55lb thrust. So there's lots of places to just pull over and shore fish or have a bite to eat? That would be a nice exit plan just in case the water gets too choppy.

smitty9
09-07-2016, 01:42 PM
There are plenty of places to pull over at Maligne, especially in the northern half of the lake. You can pull over at Hidden Bay, Trappers Creek, or 4 Mile point / Leah creek, if you need/want picnic tables.

Also, the Maligne river, 5 mile point, Mcleod Bay, Lousy Bay if you don't want a picnic area.

But there are plenty of bays, nooks and crannies should the wind kick up. You decrease the danger by sticking fairly close to shore, where a lot of the fish are anyways.

Smitty

smitty9
09-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Also, with only 2 batteries, I'd probably wouldn't venture too far past Hidden Bay. Unless those batteries are size 31's, and in good shape, and the lake is dead calm - you might make it to the mouth of the Upper Maligne River with enough leftover back-up juice for safety. You like rowing / paddling? :) lol

Anyways, here's a map, note the picnic table icons, if you're looking for a nicer place to have lunch.

I don't fish Maligne much in September; fishing might be good right there in home bay!

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii634/msmitty9/Maligne%20Lake.png (http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/msmitty9/media/Maligne%20Lake.png.html)

shredzoo7
09-07-2016, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I wasn't even considering going out past home bay. I do not like rowing and since I have an injured casting shoulder already, I'll play it safe.