PDA

View Full Version : Trout Fishing

Biggsy16
03-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Gents and Ladies,
Just spend a wad of cash buying my son and myself new fishing gear.We would like to fish at Clear lake and pine coullee when the ice is off ,but it is not open I think until May 8th.So I was hoping to take him to look for some trout between where we live right by COP and Canmore.I did purchase the new Barry Mitchell book and have reading it but was hoping you fine people could narrow the search.We will be using spinning reels and fishing from shore.
Thanks in advance.

nicemustang
03-19-2009, 12:20 PM
If you were open to driving a bit further, chain lakes south (south of longview) is an easy place to catch trout. Not the biggest fish in the world, but there is lots of them in there and pretty easy to catch.

Mish
03-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Are you looking for open water?

SuCraM
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Hit the bow in the city around fish creek or the 22X and deerfoot. Lots of open stretches. Use a fly with a couple of small split shots about a foot up with a bobber. Set your depth at around 7 to 8 feet and you will catch some fish for sure. Hope this helps. This should tide you over until the lakes melt.

SuCraM
03-19-2009, 01:05 PM
This time last year I slayed them on a red wire worm. Caught rockies, browns, rainbows, and even a sucker fish with the same setup. Visit your local fly shop and they will have them. Tight lines and keep safe.

gpguy7
03-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Near exshaw there is a small pond on the north side of the 1A called Grotto Pond. Take some worms with you and fish with a bobber. If u can get around the north side of the pond your chances of catching them are better.

Also I'm not sure when it is stocked or how it winterkills, but in Cochrane there is Mitford Pond just behind where the DQ and Boston Pizza are. Caught a 4 lb rainbow there a couple of years ago.

jts1
03-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Near exshaw there is a small pond on the north side of the 1A called Grotto Pond. Take some worms with you and fish with a bobber. If u can get around the north side of the pond your chances of catching them are better.

Also I'm not sure when it is stocked or how it winterkills, but in Cochrane there is Mitford Pond just behind where the DQ and Boston Pizza are. Caught a 4 lb rainbow there a couple of years ago.

X2 on Grotto , But I seen them net the lower pond in Cochrane in the fall. Was a wopping 13 fish in it and small put them all in the upper pond. I dont have the link for the stocking report but I am sure someone here will post it fot you.

gpguy7
03-19-2009, 09:49 PM
by lower pond are you referring to the one closer to the DQ? I'd only fished the one when I lived down there and it was in the summer months, were a lot of fish in there. It's a catch and take pond so it doesnt surprise me that it was almost fished out.

jts1
03-19-2009, 09:56 PM
by lower pond are you referring to the one closer to the DQ? I'd only fished the one when I lived down there and it was in the summer months, were a lot of fish in there. It's a catch and take pond so it doesnt surprise me that it was almost fished out.

Yes the pond closest to the soccer field Hit with my fly rod a few times , went one morning and the town was netting it. Just a few small fish. They were happy that they had not winter killed from the prior year. But this is not sustainable nor does it produce fish