PDA

View Full Version : Live well issues

TROLLER
09-07-2016, 06:38 PM
So, here is my problem. I replaced the live well pump in my boat and as soon as I get up to plane it starts taking on water.

It happened a few weeks back so when I hooked the hose up to the pump it was spitting water all over the place, so I replaced the pump, take it out today and bam I am taking on water, a fair amount of water.

The pump is the same as what was original and there do not seem to be any issues with the hose. It has the screen at the inlet and not a low water pick up which I am wondering if that would maybe help. Also I have a 14ft. with the max hp of 40 the motor seems to ride low but it is at it's highest setting on the transom.

Any idea's out there would sure be appreciated.

TROLLER
09-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Well I cut some washers out of a piece of rubber I had laying around and siliconed the heck out of it.

Let it set for a day then back in the water to see what happens. no leaks I hope.

cube
09-08-2016, 12:08 PM
So, here is my problem. I replaced the live well pump in my boat and as soon as I get up to plane it starts taking on water.

It happened a few weeks back so when I hooked the hose up to the pump it was spitting water all over the place, so I replaced the pump, take it out today and bam I am taking on water, a fair amount of water.

The pump is the same as what was original and there do not seem to be any issues with the hose. It has the screen at the inlet and not a low water pick up which I am wondering if that would maybe help. Also I have a 14ft. with the max hp of 40 the motor seems to ride low but it is at it's highest setting on the transom.

Any idea's out there would sure be appreciated.

I find it odd that you would be taking on water from the live well supply while on plane. Usually while on plane the intake is clear of the water or am I missing something.

EZM
09-08-2016, 05:54 PM
I find it odd that you would be taking on water from the live well supply while on plane. Usually while on plane the intake is clear of the water or am I missing something.

My thoughts exactly - if anything the water should be draining ...... seems strange to me.

Normally the livewell water level should stay pretty stable. I can fill mine, drive around the lake, or, alternately have it bone dry and it stays exactly like that.

TROLLER
09-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Maybe it was just me thinking going to plane was causing the water to rush in. Looks like the sealant around the live well opening both outside and in are about shot, thus my making a few new rubber washers.

I'll know tomorrow if it stopped the water coming in.

Duramaximos
09-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Are you using a marine grade seacock below the waterline?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

cube
09-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Maybe it was just me thinking going to plane was causing the water to rush in. Looks like the sealant around the live well opening both outside and in are about shot, thus my making a few new rubber washers.

I'll know tomorrow if it stopped the water coming in.

Hopefully that works for you.

When you described how it was leaking on plane I was thinking that it was more likely that it was just all the water that had leaked in somewhere moving to the back during the acceleration phase. This however would mean the leak could be anywhere.

Hope your fix works for you.

The Fisherman Guy
09-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Sikaflex 295 UV is good stuff, I used it on the salt on a recent bilge pump install on our ocean boat. Marine sealant/caulk, comes in different colors.

TROLLER
09-09-2016, 03:00 PM
My biggest problem seems to be the older I get the less patient I become, my wife may be correct when she says I AM THE OLD BUGGER

Took it out to Ghost dam this morn and still water, grrr, so the heck with it, I took it to the Crestliner dealer and he is going to make it right. Too much money I know but at least it will be done correct this time.