PDA

View Full Version : how to catch stocked trout in the fall?

Bushmonkey
09-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Going to try to catch a couple trout from the local stocked pond. What's the easiest way to catch them this time of year?

Opa
09-10-2016, 05:15 AM
Square hook!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Talking moose
09-10-2016, 05:40 AM
Same as summer. Only by fall a lot of stocked ponds are nearly fished out. But some still have catchable numbers.

waterninja
09-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Same as summer. Only by fall a lot of stocked ponds are nearly fished out. But some still have catchable numbers.
X2 At least they are pan sized in the fall.

Bemoredog
09-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Went to Mt. Lorette last night since I'm in Calgary. Seems totally fished out.

Bushmonkey
09-10-2016, 12:38 PM
I'll be honest, I've only tried a trout pond a couple times many years ago. Didn't have a lot of luck.

So any tips to catch them would be great.
-bobber and worm? (how far under bobber should the bait be?)
- small spinners?

I'm taking some kids to the pond so I'm trying to make it as kid friendly as possible

1stLand
09-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Went to Mt. Lorette last night since I'm in Calgary. Seems totally fished out.

Mount Lorette Ponds was fished out 3 weeks ago. Tons of people trying to fish on shore but didnt see anyone catch anything.

I caught a teenie tiny one. Couldnt see any fish in the lake whatsoever even though it was clear.

About 3 weeks prior to that, I saw tons of fish. You couldn't keep them off the line.

Sundancefisher
09-10-2016, 02:17 PM
Mount Lorette Ponds was fished out 3 weeks ago. Tons of people trying to fish on shore but didnt see anyone catch anything.

I caught a teenie tiny one. Couldnt see any fish in the lake whatsoever even though it was clear.

About 3 weeks prior to that, I saw tons of fish. You couldn't keep them off the line.

Yup. That lake fishes out fast.

If you want numbers I send them south to Chain Lakes.

The stocking report is also a good tool with using the regs.

I want to hit police outpost this fall. Just need the time and a few others to make fishing more fun.

Bemoredog
09-12-2016, 03:13 PM
I'd be up for Police. I meant to go multiple times this year but the weather never cooperated, and then it got weedy. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Sundancefisher
09-12-2016, 04:44 PM
I'd be up for Police. I meant to go multiple times this year but the weather never cooperated, and then it got weedy. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

If I go I will be tubing. If I drive I would have room for 3 plus me.

ReconWilly
09-12-2016, 06:09 PM
If I go I will be tubing. If I drive I would have room for 3 plus me.

Friendly heads up, your pm inbox is full and no one can pm you currently.

Crankbait
09-12-2016, 07:36 PM
bait method when allowed to use bait.

Crankbait
09-12-2016, 07:49 PM
tried enlarging pic, didn't work, pologies

Crankbait
09-12-2016, 09:33 PM
bait method when allowed to use bait.

Some things I left out;

Don't tighten your line, you want your line to hang from your rod not be tight.

The method creates resistance-less fishing.

pending how big your foam bug or powerbait blob you use and a good windchop, your bait will sort of bounce near the bottom.

look for sandy areas with some weed bedding.

if you can precision cast, try to get your weight upon the high point of a dropping structure.

TROLLER
09-13-2016, 09:47 AM
I'll be honest, I've only tried a trout pond a couple times many years ago. Didn't have a lot of luck.

So any tips to catch them would be great.
-bobber and worm? (how far under bobber should the bait be?)
- small spinners?

I'm taking some kids to the pond so I'm trying to make it as kid friendly as possible

Small hook #8 or 10, piece of shrimp and a slip bobber anywhere from 2 to 3 ft. above. Leave some good slack in the line and watch the bopper. When it starts moving tighten up the line and hook your fish. Easy and fun for the kids to watch the bopper take off when a fish bites.