PDA

View Full Version : Spray lake...road warning - save your boat axels

nevercatchmuch
09-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Heads up that the road from Canmore to spray lake is in brutal condition. I've seen it bad over the years...but normally the worst is only a few km from nordi center to top of the hill. Today it was full of so much washboard all the way to Spray that I won't be heading back until I can get confirmation that it has been graded.

Lambo
09-11-2016, 03:53 PM
I hate that road up to Spray. It beats the crap out of your truck and trailer.

Bemoredog
09-12-2016, 03:17 PM
What causes that washboarding? I've always wondered. Thought it was the grader guys doing it...

fishdude17
09-12-2016, 03:25 PM
For the most part, high speeds cause the washboarding...tires loosing full contact with the road when small ripples/bumps in the road are already present.

RavYak
09-12-2016, 03:32 PM
What causes that washboarding? I've always wondered. Thought it was the grader guys doing it...

Washboard can be caused by graders trying to go too fast but it is also caused by traffic especially in high braking/accelerating areas and on bumpy roads.

Fwee6
09-12-2016, 03:40 PM
Washboard can be caused by graders trying to go too fast but it is also caused by traffic especially in high braking/accelerating areas and on bumpy roads.

This.

The grader isn't doing it. That's ridiculous.
Donkeys/tourists driving way too fast is what causes wash board on gravel roads.

tomcat519
09-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Heads up that the road from Canmore to spray lake is in brutal condition. I've seen it bad over the years...but normally the worst is only a few km from nordi center to top of the hill. Today it was full of so much washboard all the way to Spray that I won't be heading back until I can get confirmation that it has been graded.

Was just at Spray for the last two weeks and saw the grader every day. Man he has his work cut out for himself. The road will never be perfect but it is better now than it was before.
It's safe to fish again ;-)

Outdoorfanatic
09-21-2016, 06:29 PM
If "wash" board effect is caused by excessive speed from vehicles than what causes the wash board effect at the beach? I'm thinking water is more likely the culprit as in rain running down hill or waves.

Talking moose
09-22-2016, 08:18 AM
9 times out of 10 the washboards are before/after intersections or anything else which causes vehicles to change their rate of speed.

cube
09-22-2016, 08:48 AM

High speeds, accelerating and lightly loaded vehicles. Empty trucks are esp bad.

The Elkster
09-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Not rocket science. Washboard is due to wheel chattering usually associated with acceleration combined with vehicles with light back ends. Usually it starts on the uphill side of roads. The light backend vehicles are the biggest problem but as the ripples form any vehicle under accelerationwill make it worse as the vehicle hits that microbumps and accelerate and then skip as they hit the next trough and so on. If I'm facing washboard I generally hit the 4wd and also try to coast through the worst of it. That'll make for a slightly smoother ride and more importantly won't make the washboard worse.