PDA

View Full Version : Highwood River last night

SNAPFisher
09-16-2016, 06:32 AM
With the weather being so awesome I stayed until just about dark. From the earlier post on Copper John's I put some on for nymphing. Worked well. All RMWs. Some where pretty decent size too. I moved to a large pool and hooked with another RMW. I could tell from the fight that there could be a bull trout chase going on. Sure enough, the line got heavy right away and I slowly reeled up. I saw the Bull and almost shat myself... This bull was likely pushing 10 lbs. The 12 inch RMW was sideways and pretty much disappeared all but an inch on each side....that was one big head. I got out the net in the hope and just about had it all in the net but one kick and out...had another attempt but this one spooked the bull and it finally dropped the long since dead RMW. In the brief second I saw that the bull was now hooked under the chin, yes! And then the 2x line tightened and snapped like wet tissue paper. So close and so far. Got my blood going though. Great night out.

Beardless
09-16-2016, 06:44 AM
Awesome story! Me and the girlfriend where out on the Highwood last weekend with zero luck- nymphing with a CJ too. Fish must have not been hungry that day I guess.

Bobdep
09-16-2016, 10:39 PM
[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highwood
09-18-2016, 08:55 AM
CJ often work better with high sun. I tend to fish them higher in the water column either as a top fly in a double nymph rig or 24-36 inches under a dry. As an aside, the fish I was catching last week on cj were not on the Highwood.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

SNAPFisher
09-18-2016, 10:40 AM
CJ often work better with high sun. I tend to fish them higher in the water column either as a top fly in a double nymph rig or 24-36 inches under a dry. As an aside, the fish I was catching last week on cj were not on the Highwood.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Cool! Yeah, didn't appear to be the Highwood or at least where I am fishing. But the CJs are killing those RMHs :)