PDA

View Full Version : Glass Bedding a Tikka in a Bell and Carlson Stock

honker_clonker
09-26-2016, 02:00 PM
As the title states I am wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on the procedure for epoxy bedding a Tikka T3 Lite barreled action into a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. From my internet research it seems like the process involves relieving a bit of material in and around where the action sits in the stock, plugging all the possible entry points for the epoxy in the action and finally epoxying the action and holding the barrel in with the supplied surgical tubing. Anyone do this before and have suggestions or better yet, pictures of where to relieve material? Do's and don'ts to follow?

Thanks in advance.

Remtac
09-26-2016, 02:04 PM
As the title states I am wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on the procedure for epoxy bedding a Tikka T3 Lite barreled action into a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. From my internet research it seems like the process involves relieving a bit of material in and around where the action sits in the stock, plugging all the possible entry points for the epoxy in the action and finally epoxying the action and holding the barrel in with the supplied surgical tubing. Anyone do this before and have suggestions or better yet, pictures of where to relieve material? Do's and don'ts to follow?

Thanks in advance.

It's not needed it's got an aluminum bedding block

Bergerboy
09-26-2016, 02:04 PM
B&C recommend in the instructions they came with to shoot the rifle before you bed it.

tchardy1972
09-26-2016, 02:05 PM
It's not needed it's got an aluminum bedding block

They all benefit from a skin bed. Takes the wiggle out.

Remtac
09-26-2016, 02:07 PM
They all benefit from a skin bed. Takes the wiggle out.

Mine shot 1/4" groups with no bedding I highly doubt bedding it will make it better

honker_clonker
09-26-2016, 02:12 PM
I've shot about 50 rounds through it in the new stock and the groups are not what the rifle is capable of. Lots of stuff I have read online says a bed job never really seems to hurt and in many cases it helps, so I am hoping to give it a try and see what kind of results I can get.

Bergerboy
09-26-2016, 02:55 PM
Does your T3 have the aluminum separate recoil lug?

elkhunter11
09-26-2016, 03:00 PM
I installed the B&C M40 pattern stock on my T-3 varmint, and I skim bedded it. I have found that skim bedding helps a bit with consistency in changing temperatures. The recoil lug is a piece of the bedding block, it isn't a separate lug like with the factory stock.

honker_clonker
09-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Does your T3 have the aluminum separate recoil lug?

As elkhunter11 has stated, the recoil lug is integrated in the bedding block of the Bell and Carlson stock, it is not removable as it is in the factory stocks.

tchardy1972
09-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Mine shot 1/4" groups with no bedding I highly doubt bedding it will make it better

I don't believe you. Follow this link to prove me wrong.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=166909&highlight=rifle+shoots

molly09
09-26-2016, 05:30 PM
I suggest you leave the gun as is and start loading find the recipe to tighten your group.:bad_boys_20:

honker_clonker
09-26-2016, 07:50 PM
I suggest you leave the gun as is and start loading find the recipe to tighten your group.:bad_boys_20:

Will do, I shouldn't go changing a bunch of variables at once expecting it will just work out!

Bergerboy
09-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Is the B&C integral recoil lug aluminum as well?

honker_clonker
09-26-2016, 09:08 PM

Yes it is.

fish_e_o
09-26-2016, 09:43 PM

Yes it is.

Well that sucks. Machine it out and put in an aftermarket

honker_clonker
09-29-2016, 08:39 AM
Don't quite have that skill set or equipment available, going to try Dremel out some of the block and tang area next week and give it a go.

260 Rem
09-29-2016, 09:05 AM
For some good bedding basics, Google ....terminal ballistics research > what is rifle bedding
> bedding instructions. Watch it all, including the "tips".

catnthehat
09-29-2016, 11:13 AM

The biggest issue with fitting stocks, loading dies and chambers , etc, are the spec parameters
If you get a receiver on the small side of the specs and a rifle stock that has been made on the larger side of their specs you can possibly run into trouble with accuracy .
It has happened in the past and is the main reason for people skim bedding even aluminum bedding block rifles right from the get go.:)
Cat

elkhunter11
09-29-2016, 12:18 PM
Don't quite have that skill set or equipment available, going to try Dremel out some of the block and tang area next week and give it a go.

You do not need to remove material from the bedding block, just use a good cleaner to degrease the block, and then skim bed the action into the stock. I have done a few with just a thin layer of bedding compound, and so far no issues. As far as the recoil lug goes, leave it alone. The plastic stock flexes which allows the block to be pushed out of alignment with the slot in the recoil lug, but the lug being part of the block keeps the lug square to the slot, so there is no issue.

Remtac
10-02-2016, 03:25 AM
The biggest issue with fitting stocks, loading dies and chambers , etc, are the spec parameters

If you get a receiver on the small side of the specs and a rifle stock that has been made on the larger side of their specs you can possibly run into trouble with accuracy .

It has happened in the past and is the main reason for people skim bedding even aluminum bedding block rifles right from the get go.:)

Cat

Makes sense if you think about it that way

honker_clonker
10-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Well I started the process, hopefully going to put the epoxy in tonight. I ground out some of the area around the front screw and a little bit around the recoil lug and tang. Before grinding there were a few high spots right around the recoil lug that could be called pressure points so hopefully what I am doing will alleviate that and I didn't just wreck a $400 stock! I made guide rods out of some longer bolts to center the action screws upon completion and the rifle will have a very solid fit. I'll take some pictures and try post them up hopefully upon successful completion.

dogslayer403
10-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Cat

Very true but many aluminum block designs are specifically designed to account for variances for that very reason and to eliminate bedding. I always lightly bed the recoil lug area but always shoot em first before thinking about a skim bed.
For mylself im always changing stuff up too so resale value on a stock is another consideration as bedding drops value on stocks

260 Rem
10-06-2016, 09:29 AM
For "guide rods" I use 1/4" bolts with the head cut off ...first covered with paste wax to fill in any exposed threads ....and thread it into the receiver to make sure no compound gets into the action threads. Before placing the compound in the stock, I use plastic straws placed through the action screw holes to keep the epoxy back, and to act as a guide for the guide rods. After the action is in position and secured with surgical hose or black tape, I always slip the bottom metal in place (temporarily) to insure the holes line up properly. Once the epoxy starts to firm up, I back off the rod guide screws a teeny bit to insure they move.

honker_clonker
10-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Well I finished it off last week and man did it make an improvement. I relieved some material from the action and a little bit in the first inch of the barrel channel to have a little bit of bedding in front of the block. Upon separating the stock and action a small piece of bedding compound chipped off around the front action screw hole but it didn't really affect my results. Also a small amount of bedding compound got ontop of the recoil lug which didn't allow me to seat the rifle all the way down onto the lug but once again, performance was not hindered.

Took the gun out shooting and the bed job cured my wandering POI problem and really shrunk the groups. 75 grains of IMR 7828 under a 180 grain accubond produced a 3 shot group into a dime. This load previously was about 1" so it definitely tightened it up. Another load that was fairly accurate pre bed job also tightened up and had a similar POI so I am more than happy with the results.

260 Rem
10-11-2016, 02:46 PM
Nice when a plan comes together.