PDA

View Full Version : Mayatan Lake?

goober
03-23-2009, 06:40 AM
I had never even heard of this lake until this year!! I spend quite a bit of time in this area and it surprised me when I found it on a map. I read an article about this lake stating that it was stocked with Walleye but they all died. Anyone have any info on this lake? I love fishing new lakes and might make a trip here next year. Is it easy access? I do not even recall ever seeing a sign for it off of HWY 770!:wave:

Fishin' Fool
03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
It's kind of tricky to find the only public access. The launch is somewhat steep and muddy. There is not much parking space. Mostly hammer handles and dink perch. Usually peaceful though. :)

FF

Smokey
03-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Beauty of a lake, launch sucks unless you have a 4x4 or tilt trailer or you dry launch a belly boat. Most people I know who fish it enjoy the tranquility and quiet. It seems like a big enough lake that the fishing would be better but you are lucky to catch a few hammerhandles. I have always wondered that with its close proximity to Jackfish, is it at all connected to Jackfish? It is a treat to fish with very few other boats, but don't expect 100 fish days.

pdfish
03-24-2009, 06:17 AM
There's a lot bigger pike in that lake than just hammerhandles. My personal best is 11 lbs.

2tall4u
09-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Justed bought a 14' boat/trailer last week so i had to try it out . Fished Mayatan for about 2 hours then the wind picked up so i had to leave. Didn't catch anything but had 2 bites . I was the only one on the lake.

Wulfespirit
09-27-2009, 12:21 AM
You managed to back your trailer into the mud without sinking it? Took one step into the water below the launch and sunk to just below my knee the last time I was there.

2tall4u
09-27-2009, 04:01 PM
You managed to back your trailer into the mud without sinking it? Took one step into the water below the launch and sunk to just below my knee the last time I was there.

No i just unloaded everything on shore and pushed the boat in .

MikeSpike
10-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Mayatan is also known as Devils Lake. Ice fished it for perch but not that productive. Caught a few hammer handle pike. I have had a few hits on the tip up that hit so hard they rattled the tip up quite loud. One the kid could pull up and lost it before landing it. So there is some big pike lurking in some areas - don't waste your time at the opposite (of the launch) side as everyone goes there.

Izumi
10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Mayatan is also known as Devils Lake. Ice fished it for perch but not that productive. Caught a few hammer handle pike. I have had a few hits on the tip up that hit so hard they rattled the tip up quite loud. One the kid could pull up and lost it before landing it. So there is some big pike lurking in some areas - don't waste your time at the opposite (of the launch) side as everyone goes there.

I think your thinking of Matchayaw near Onaway, this is known as Devil's Lake.

One above it in the Regs:
Matchayaw (Devil’s) Lake & tributaries & outlet (Sturgeon River)