PDA

View Full Version : Custom Build on T3 Action

dave99
09-28-2016, 04:38 PM
I've been throwing around the idea of a lightweight custom build for a while now. I don't have any experience with builds so am looking for some advice. Seems to me many customs are based on the Rem 700 action, but I'm a big fan of the T3.

I don't see a lot of customs based off the T3 and am wondering if there's a reason for it. I'm looking at a T3 action paired to a light sporter barrel like a Kreiger and bedded to a B&C or McMillan. Trigger would probably remain stock. Looking at .280 AI chambering, cut to 24" at 1:9 twist.

Do the gun aficionados on the forum see any reason why this would be a bad idea? What action would I need to build this rifle? Would a long action .270 win or 30.06 work?

Rifle would be mainly for hunting. Moose to antelope and everything in between.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diamond k
09-28-2016, 04:44 PM
I built mine on a Tikka action and it is awesome. I sold my Cooper and Weatherby customs because I would never shoot them. PM me if you want some more details.

Homesteader
09-28-2016, 04:46 PM
I've been throwing around the idea of a lightweight custom build for a while now. I don't have any experience with builds so am looking for some advice. Seems to me many customs are based on the Rem 700 action, but I'm a big fan of the T3.

I don't see a lot of customs based off the T3 and am wondering if there's a reason for it. I'm looking at a T3 action paired to a light sporter barrel like a Kreiger and bedded to a B&C or McMillan. Trigger would probably remain stock. Looking at .280 AI chambering, cut to 24" at 1:9 twist.

Do the gun aficionados on the forum see any reason why this would be a bad idea? What action would I need to build this rifle? Would a long action .270 win or 30.06 work?

Rifle would be mainly for hunting. Moose to antelope and everything in between.

Thanks for the input!

All T3 actions are long actions, but the short cartridges have bolt stop, and mag plug. 270 or 06 would be the easiest as no mag change or bolt stop to deal with. I imagine the 280ai would feed fine from the inline mag. That would likely be your biggest concern with the ai. Smokinyotes has made one of two customs on T3's. As far as I know they are just as easy to work on as most others, just less availability of aftermarket parts if you really want to go hog wild. Although more, and more are becoming available.

double gun
09-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Just an idea, but you could buy one in 708, have the chamber opened to 280Ai and change or alter the bolt stop to the long action version, and trade the short action magazine for a long action.

If you are wanting lightweight forget the b&c.
A little bird told me there will be a lightweight stock option for the t3's in the near future.

Homesteader
09-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Or just get a T3 7 Rem Mag, and shoot the bahjesuz out of it :) 24 3/8" pipe right from the factory. I should've kept my stainless laminate :sign0161:

double gun
09-28-2016, 04:56 PM
Or just get a T3 7 Rem Mag

Best idea yet

dave99
09-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Or just get a T3 7 Rem Mag, and shoot the bahjesuz out of it :) 24 3/8" pipe right from the factory. I should've kept my stainless laminate :sign0161:

Haha, I figured that someone would suggest the 7mm Rem in a stock T3. I see where you're coming from, since they share the same bullet and close to the same ballistics. But there's something that appeals to me about the custom.

Bushrat
09-28-2016, 06:52 PM

A lighter but longer barrel barrel won't save much weight and will be overcome by the substantial extra weight of a B&C stock which will result in a poorly balanced butt heavy rifle. Not sure the difference but a McMillan wont be much lighter than the factory stock and wouldn't surprise me if it is heavier. Outside of the slippery feel of the tikka stock that many don't like they are a better injection moulded stock that has some fibre added to help stiffen them than the plain softer floppier solid plastic injection moulded offerings that come on the entry level models from savage, ruger, Remington, Browning, etc.

raw outdoors
09-28-2016, 07:04 PM
Have three builds bassed on tikka actions. Go for it you won't be disappointed

dave99
09-28-2016, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. Maybe going to a slightly heavier barrel like a sporter would better balance the rifle. I could see how a stock that's heavier than the factory Tupperware combined with a very light barrel would throw off the balance and feel of the rifle.
Somebody mentioned that B&C is coming out with a lighter stock than the medalist. Any more info on this?

Smokinyotes
09-28-2016, 10:17 PM
I built my 6.5-284 off a T3 Varmint 243. I put a long action bolt stop and mag, a Kreiger #17 heavy Varmint barrel finished at 30", MCRS tactical stock (Mcmillan A5 clone) a Yodave 1lb trigger spring, Near 20 MOA rail and Alphamount topped with a NXS 5.5-22x50. It works really well out to 1100yds.

Ice Fishing Maniac
09-29-2016, 08:20 AM
Cant see you not. I built a 338-06AI off a Sako m75 Greywolf "IV" action back in 2008...

kayaker
09-29-2016, 08:43 AM
Dave,
Lots of T3 customs around, Europeans seem to do them quite a lot on T3's and 55 series actions.

It should be a straight forward build. Do you still have that other .280AI?

rembo
09-29-2016, 09:01 AM
T3's can be great for builds of course. Check the web, there are tons of ideas.

But, be sure and discuss with your 'smith beforehand and be sure he knows you want it built "on" the T3 not "off" of the T3...;-)

silver lab
09-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Just an idea, but you could buy one in 708, have the chamber opened to 280Ai and change or alter the bolt stop to the long action version, and trade the short action magazine for a long action.

If you are wanting lightweight forget the b&c.
A little bird told me there will be a lightweight stock option for the t3's in the near future.

Little bird or little "cat"?

dave99
09-29-2016, 02:40 PM
Dave,

Lots of T3 customs around, Europeans seem to do them quite a lot on T3's and 55 series actions.

It should be a straight forward build. Do you still have that other .280AI?

Thanks Brian. For now just gathering information, but in the next year or so something will be in the works.

Still running the Kimber in .280AI from this spring. I got it to 1.5 moa with the few bullet/powder combos I tried. I'm a big fan of this chambering and was thinking that the only worthwhile improvement on it would be to have it in a T3!

fish_e_o
09-29-2016, 02:49 PM
Still running the Kimber in .280AI from this spring. I got it to 1.5 moa with the few bullet/powder combos I tried. I'm a big fan of this chambering and was thinking that the only worthwhile improvement on it would be to have it in a T3!

clearly there is something very very wrong with that rifle you should sell it extremely cheaply

to me

double gun
09-29-2016, 03:27 PM

Indeed. ;)

Coiloil37
09-30-2016, 05:31 PM
Thanks Brian. For now just gathering information, but in the next year or so something will be in the works.

When your ready you should sell that kimber to me so I can rebarrel it to a more useful 35 whelen. I can't find it in my heart to rebore or rebarrel any of the kimbers I own because they all shoot sub moa.

Zuludog
09-30-2016, 05:40 PM

lol :)