PDA

View Full Version : where can I find a straight 4 power scope.

stevens
09-29-2016, 07:59 PM
Looking for a straight 4 power scope and not a shotgun scope either a rifle 4 power. Called cabelas they have nothing either does wholesale sports. Thought maybe someone on here might know of a place that sells them.

Sitting Bull
09-29-2016, 08:17 PM
Try P&D in Edmonton. I bought a Leupold fixed 6x from them, and if they don't have it , they will bring it in for you.

calgarychef
09-29-2016, 10:06 PM
I'm with you on the idea! Darned hard to find and when you do find one you'll be shocked at the price.

Richard B.
09-30-2016, 06:57 AM
Trace Scope repairs reconditions old Weaver and Redfield scopes

gitrdun
09-30-2016, 07:16 AM
Trace Scope repairs reconditions old Weaver and Redfield scopes

You beat me to it Richard. I too would recommend Trace in Calgary. I have purchased a couple of used but reconditioned scopes from them. Very happy with the product. :)

brendan's dad
09-30-2016, 07:35 AM
Not sure your price range but there is a Bushnell Scopechief IV 4x32 forsale in Optics section. I run one on my Remington 760 and I am getting 1 to 1.5 inch groups with Federal Blue Box. Out of me, the rifle, and the scope, the scope is the most consistent factor in the combination.

Pioneer2
09-30-2016, 07:53 AM
I don't think they make fixed scopes any more.........Harold

fish_e_o
09-30-2016, 08:20 AM

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/fixed-power-riflescopes/

Pathfinder76
09-30-2016, 09:06 AM

Huh? That is mainly what I use.

rugatika
09-30-2016, 09:11 AM
P&D, Bashaw Sports, Prophet River

You'll probably have better luck with gun stores than the big box stores. I would be surprised if P&D doesn't have them.

Dick284
09-30-2016, 09:33 AM
In the last 2 weeks I've bought both a fixed 4 and fixed 6 Leupold off of the buy sell on this forum.
Great prices too I might add.
All I did was post a WTB ad!

Bushleague
09-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Canadian tire in Leduc had a Weaver classic in 4x for well under $200 IIRC the last time I was through there, I doubt its sold. I looked pretty hard at it as I've been considering going to a fixed 4 for a while now, but I don't really need another scope right now.

Jack&7
09-30-2016, 03:05 PM
I have one if you are interested...a classic Bushnell wide angle from back in the days when they made better stuff. Was on my Dad's 30-06 for years.

Let me know if you are interested via PM. Cash or possible trade for something interesting

crazy_davey
09-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Huh? That is mainly what I use.

Same here. Where do some of these guys come up with this stuff?

And who is "they"? The scope gods? :)

Pathfinder76
09-30-2016, 05:08 PM

Laughing!

Pioneer2
09-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Well if they are making a replacement bring back the 3X for DG and bush guns where targets are on the fly in heavy cover...us guys come up with this stuff by reading gun stuff daily and 50+ years of experience in the field ....the M8 line is defunct this is their replacement...Korth made mention of this a couple years back.......Harold

purgatory.sv
09-30-2016, 05:27 PM
http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_M8.htm

chuckhawks.com
Leupold FX Riflescopes

Leupold FX Riflescopes

By Chuck Hawks
Leupold M8 4x33
Illustration courtesy of Leupold & Stevens, Inc.

All Leupold riflescopes come with the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee. You don't even have to be the original owner. If any Leupold Golden Ring scope is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, ever, Leupold will repair or replace it for free. There is no need for a guarantee card.

The M8 line has become the FX line, but remains Leupold's fixed power, 4-star line. FX scopes offer fully coated optics. All lens surfaces receive Leupold's standard magnesium fluoride anti-reflective lens coatings, and some models receive Leupold's Multi-coat 4 lens coatings. All FX's are built with 1" diameter main tubes made of 6061-T6 aircraft quality aluminum alloy. Standard FX riflescopes are adjusted to be parallax free at a distance of 150 yards. The coin-slot windage and elevation adjustments are of the continuous friction type and are marked in 1/2 minute of angle increments on most FX scopes. FX scopes are waterproof and fog free.

Most Leupold FX scopes are shipped with the standard Duplex reticle. This type of reticle, with heavy a crosshair that becomes a fine crosshair near the center of the field, was invented by Leupold and has since been copied by virtually all other scope manufacturers.

The FX riflescope line includes two compact models, a 2.5x20mm and a 4x28mm Rimfire Special. Compact scopes are designed to be, well, more compact than regular scopes. There is some unavoidable sacrifice in light grasp due to their smaller objective lenses. Otherwise, they are built to the same standards of performance and quality as other M8 scopes. The 2.5x20mm is only 8" long and weight 6.5 ounces. It has a 100 yard field of view of 39.5' and an eye relief of 4.9". Finish is matte black, and Duplex and Heavy Duplex reticles are offered. The 4x Rimfire Special is 9.2" long and weighs 7.5 ounces. It is designed to be free of parallax at 60 yards. It comes with a gloss black finish and a Fine Duplex reticle.

The 2.5x28mm is the intermediate eye relief (IER) scope in the FX line. It is designed to be mounted forward of the receiver on "scout" rifles or lever action rifles that eject their fired cases straight up, such as pre-angle eject Winchester Model 94's. It is also a good choice for extremely hard kicking rifles such as big bore elephant guns. Such a mounting position prevents the scope being driven back into the shooter's eyebrow under heavy recoil. Eye relief is 9-17". The unavoidable trade off is greatly reduced field of view, only 22' at 100 yards in the case of the M8 2.5x28mm IER. This scope is available in matte black or silver finish.

The FX 4x33mm is the all-around big game hunting scope. The 4x is available in gloss black with a choice of Duplex, Leupold Dot, or Post and Duplex reticles, and matte black with a Duplex reticle only. It is 10.5" long and weighs 9.3 ounces. Field of view is 24' at 100 yards. The optimum eye relief is 4". The windage and elevation adjustment range is 80 MOA. This is a good choice for rifles chambered for all-around cartridges such as the .260 Remington, .270 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington, .280 Remington, 7mm Remington Magnum, .308 Winchester, .30-06, and .300 Winchester Magnum. At 4x it offers all the magnification necessary for shots out to 300 yards on medium size big game animals.

The 6x36mm is a long range big game hunting scope that allows the use of low mounting rings on most rifles. It is 11.4" long and weighs 10 ounces. Its field of view at 100 yards is 17.7'. Eye relief is 4.3". Adjustment range is 64 MOA. Finish is gloss black, and Duplex, Post and Duplex, and Leupold Dot reticles are offered.

The 6x42mm offers more light grasp than the 6x36mm and comes with Leupold's proprietary Multicoat 4 lens coatings. It will probably require medium height mounting rings on most rifles. It comes in gloss black or matte black finishes. In gloss black finish the reticle choices include the Duplex, Heavy Duplex, Post and Duplex, and German #4. In matte black finish the reticles offered are the Duplex, Heavy Duplex, and German #4.

The final 6x option in the FX line is the 6x42mm Adj. Obj. The adjustable objective allows the parallax correction distance to be set by the shooter. This scope comes with tall 1/4 MOA "click" target-style adjustments and also features Multicoat 4 lens coatings. It is primarily intended for hunter class benchrest competition and medium range varmint hunting. For the latter it is a good match for cartridges such as the .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, and .221 Fireball. It comes in matte black finish with a Duplex reticle. This scope is 12.2" long and weighs 15 ounces. Its eye relief is 4.5". Its field of view at 100 yards is 17.7'. Adjustment range is 64 MOA.

The biggest and most powerful of all FX scopes is the 12x40mm Adj. Obj. model. The 12x40mm comes in gloss black only, is supplied with a choice of Fine Duplex or Leupold Dot reticles, and has an adjustable objective for parallax correction. It is 13" long and weighs 13.5 ounces. The big scope's 100 yard field of view is only 9.1'. Optimum eye relief is 4.2". The windage and elevation adjustment range is 52 MOA. This is a rather specialized scope most commonly seen on long range varmint rifles chambered for cartridges such as the .223, .22-250, .223 WSSM, .220 Swift, .243 Winchester, and 6mm Remington.

The Leupold FX line is one of the best and most extensive fixed power scope lines. One or another of the FX scopes is a good choice for most hunting rifles. Their retail price is fairly high for fixed power riflescopes, but so is their quality. They offer good value and performance for the money. Sometimes simpler really is better.

crazy_davey
09-30-2016, 05:56 PM
us guys come up with this stuff by reading gun stuff daily

Well, obviously you don't understand what you are reading.

fordtruckin
09-30-2016, 07:10 PM
Canadian tire in Leduc had a Weaver classic in 4x for well under $200 IIRC the last time I was through there, I doubt its sold. I looked pretty hard at it as I've been considering going to a fixed 4 for a while now, but I don't really need another scope right now.

I have that same scope. I think I paid 140 USD for it. I may get the K6 from weaver one of these days. Great Scopes!

Pioneer2
09-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Well, obviously you don't understand what you are reading.

Nor does Korth who should know servicing them are the one's that told me this tidbit..........HDF

crazy_davey
09-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Nor does Korth who should know servicing them are the one's that told me this tidbit..........HDF

That's right, they changed the name, big deal. That's a far cry from a statement like "I don't think THEY make make fixed scopes anymore."

So Korth told you the M8 was discontinued and you jumped to the above conclusion...

bb356
09-30-2016, 09:01 PM

:)

Speckle55
09-30-2016, 09:59 PM
here is some online ..just need credit card

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bush-rs-bnr-710432.html

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banner-Circle-X-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B0000A0AGX

David:)

Dick284
09-30-2016, 10:06 PM
here is some online ..just need credit card

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bush-rs-bnr-710432.html

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banner-Circle-X-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B0000A0AGX

David:)

Both based outta the US of A!

Good luck getting these items shipped from the US of A!

ITAR export regulations pretty much have the odds of legal export of scopes down to zilch.

vcmm
09-30-2016, 10:33 PM
On CGN right now:) For those that are looking
Leupold 4x compact gloss $325

El-Brento
09-30-2016, 11:03 PM
I've seen them at smaller shops on occasion, never at the big box stores...I bought my fx-II 4x33 from a member here.

stevens
10-01-2016, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys for all the responses I did find one locally off a member.

Grizzly Adams
10-01-2016, 09:22 AM

Gotta wonder why anyone would want one anymore, other than the nostalgia factor ? Especially us older guys. :lol:

Grizz

Bushleague
10-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Gotta wonder why anyone would want one anymore, other than the nostalgia factor ? Especially us older guys. :lol:

Grizz

My own interest in them came after shooting a buck on really cold day, so cold I couldn't turn up the power on that particular scope... I struggled with it a bit cranking on the ring with way more force than should have ever been exerted on the scope. While I was messing with the scope a couple prime shot opportunities passed. I then gave up and simply shot the buck through a small opening in the brush as he passed through it.... About that time I acquired a rifle with a cheap fixed 4x on it and rediscovered that It was plenty of magnification for out to 300 yards, as far as I care to shoot in the field.

Now why would this make me want a fixed 4? Well it got me thinking about how many other times have I been unnecessarily messing around with my scope... simply because I could, not because I needed to... when I should have just quit goofing around and took the shot. At that point I realised I had probably turned up my scope for almost every shot I'd ever taken, despite knowing I could have easily made at least 90% of those shots on the 2-3x that my scopes are set on while I'm hunting. I've never missed an animal because of it, but I've deffinatly missed good shot opportunities to later take a more marginal one. On other instances I have been caught on the opposite end of the spectrum, the scope has been turned up for some reason and I am struggling to make a shot at very close range with way too much magnification.

My one misgiving about the fixed 4 is that I miss having the lower magnification when still hunting, I've never missed having the high magnification. And these days I do make most of my shots on the 2x setting that the scope on my pet rifle bottoms out at, original problem more or less solved, but I do still entertain the idea of getting a fixed 4 from time to time.

Grizzly Adams
10-01-2016, 04:02 PM
My own interest in them came after shooting a buck on really cold day, so cold I couldn't turn up the power on that particular scope... I struggled with it a bit cranking on the ring with way more force than should have ever been exerted on the scope. While I was messing with the scope a couple prime shot opportunities passed. I then gave up and simply shot the buck through a small opening in the brush as he passed through it.... About that time I acquired a rifle with a cheap fixed 4x on it and rediscovered that It was plenty of magnification for out to 300 yards, as far as I care to shoot in the field.

Now why would this make me want a fixed 4? Well it got me thinking about how many other times have I been unnecessarily messing around with my scope... simply because I could, not because I needed to... when I should have just quit goofing around and took the shot. At that point I realised I had probably turned up my scope for almost every shot I'd ever taken, despite knowing I could have easily made at least 90% of those shots on the 2-3x that my scopes are set on while I'm hunting. I've never missed an animal because of it, but I've deffinatly missed good shot opportunities to later take a more marginal one. On other instances I have been caught on the opposite end of the spectrum, the scope has been turned up for some reason and I am struggling to make a shot at very close range with way too much magnification.

My one misgiving about the fixed 4 is that I miss having the lower magnification when still hunting, I've never missed having the high magnification. And these days I do make most of my shots on the 2x setting that the scope on my pet rifle bottoms out at, original problem more or less solved, but I do still entertain the idea of getting a fixed 4 from time to time.

All mine are 3x to 9x, permanently set on 9. Never found a reason yet to reduce the setting. Much better for shot placement.

Grizz

Bushleague
10-01-2016, 04:53 PM
All mine are 3x to 9x, permanently set on 9. Never found a reason yet to reduce the setting. Much better for shot placement.

Grizz

Different strokes I guess, mine are all set on the lowest setting until otherwise needed. For one, if I actually need to turn up I usually have time, while the opposite is not true. I'm more comfortable taking a 200 yard shot with my scope on 2x than I am making a quick shot at 30 yards with a scope set on 9x. For another, unless one is able to take a secure position/ rest, my experience is that higher power is not actually better for shot placement, often worse. From a standing offhand position for instance, I can shoot better groups with my scope set on 2x than I can with my scope set on 9x. Off of a solid rest higher magnification begins to have its advantages, but these types of shots in the field would represent a very extreme minority for myself. IMO a 4-6x fixed is a pretty good compromise and I fully understand their appeal.

Pathfinder76
10-01-2016, 05:16 PM

Grizz

They make fixed 10x scopes.

Smokinyotes
10-01-2016, 06:42 PM
In my opinion many people have scopes that are more suited for long range shooting rather than hunting. For most hunting a person should be able to make accurate shots with a fixed 4 or 6 power scope. I have shot the majority of my game with the scope set on 3 or 4x. I have no problem hitting the gong at 1100yds with my scope on 5.5x.

bb356
10-02-2016, 02:04 AM

Grizz

:scared0018:

Bushleague
10-02-2016, 09:02 AM
In my opinion many people have scopes that are more suited for long range shooting rather than hunting. For most hunting a person should be able to make accurate shots with a fixed 4 or 6 power scope. I have shot the majority of my game with the scope set on 3 or 4x. I have no problem hitting the gong at 1100yds with my scope on 5.5x.

strongly agree with this statement.

Xbolt7mm
10-02-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm a bit confused here. If a person wants a straight 4 power and can't find one why in the world would you not buy a variable, set it on 4 and leave it alone? Then you can carry a spotting scope to count points instead of turning the said scope up. I have noticed that most Leopold scopes are harder to move the magnification rings especially when cold then others and I have more than a few. I just simply switched to Ziess, much clearer lens and the ring seems much easier to move. Like the op, I always try to shoot from the lowest power possible. No sence in shooting at something that's not there.

sneekerp
10-02-2016, 01:18 PM
I have a fixed 4 leupold if you're interested.

Pathfinder76
10-02-2016, 01:36 PM
I'm a bit confused here. If a person wants a straight 4 power and can't find one why in the world would you not buy a variable, set it on 4 and leave it alone? Then you can carry a spotting scope to count points instead of turning the said scope up. I have noticed that most Leopold scopes are harder to move the magnification rings especially when cold then others and I have more than a few. I just simply switched to Ziess, much clearer lens and the ring seems much easier to move. Like the op, I always try to shoot from the lowest power possible. No sence in shooting at something that's not there.

Clarity, durability, and weight for three.

stevens
10-02-2016, 04:21 PM

X2

Dick284
10-02-2016, 04:26 PM

And simplicity!

elkhunter11
10-02-2016, 05:12 PM
And simplicity!

Simple is better for some people. I was at a gun show listening to one person explaining to his buddy that the knob on the left side of the scope(parallax adjustment) was for compensating for bullet drop, you just dial in the shot distance, hold right on and shoot.:)

Zuludog
10-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Simple is better for some people. I was at a gun show listening to one person explaining to his buddy that the knob on the left side of the scope(parallax adjustment) was for compensating for bullet drop, you just dial in the shot distance, hold right on and shoot.:)

It's not? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Pathfinder76
10-02-2016, 05:21 PM
And they look like scopes. That way I can say this is the scope that goes with my rifle not this is the rifle that goes with this scope. Or, "does this rifle make my obese scope look fat"?

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l433/chuck_nelson/IMG_6520_zps20ev3bag.jpg (http://s330.photobucket.com/user/chuck_nelson/media/IMG_6520_zps20ev3bag.jpg.html)

Grizzly Adams
10-02-2016, 07:04 PM
And simplicity!

I just wish they'd exercise that principle with vehicles. :lol:

Grizz

Canuck Bob
10-02-2016, 07:14 PM
I was able to find used Leupold 4X28 M8 Compact, a near new Leu 6X36 FX-II and a 4X Zeiss Conquest by being patient. Fixed power scopes come available often enough.

Some ideas but no idea of Canadian availability.

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-21529%3FNo%3D0%26Np%3D2%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_visible%2 53A1%252Ccustomertypeid%253A1%2529%26Nrpp%3D48%26N s%3Dp_metric_sales_velocity%257C1%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntp r%3D1

Weaver and IOR make fixed 4X as well but I like used Leupold because Korth is just down the road and their support has been flawless. The 4X Conquest is an outstanding scope but not made for awhile.

My 4X28 is a rimfire scope that is similar to the FX-I 4X28 current model. Be aware M8 to the best of my knowledge are twist adjustment not click adjusted and the FX models have much better glass. The 4X28 is a tiny scope.

I wanted fixed scopes and very satisfied with the decision.

bb356
10-02-2016, 07:35 PM
And simplicity!

yup

DaleJ
10-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Umm? Gender specific four power scope.?!

sask
10-03-2016, 03:51 PM

And that's a pretty darn good scope