PDA

View Full Version : Where I can find an AI action wrench in Canada?:angry3:

Pompey
10-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Hi guys, I think I need some help ....

In the past weeks, I'm trying to find an AI action wrench, so I can swap my AWP barrel. Checked webstores/websites(include wolverine), and even post a wtb here, but still can't find one. Seems that I have to get it from south:angry3:. If you know where I can find one in Canada, please shoot me a message. Buy it from US will be my last option.

Also, if you have this tool and don't mind waste several minutes to help an AO member change his rifle's barrel, please let me know. It will be great appreciate:grouphug:! Also let me know if there is some charge. I'm in Edmonton area.

Thank you for your time & have a great weekend,
Pompey

fps plus
10-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Can use a GOOD quality crescent wrench

mass
10-01-2016, 08:18 PM
I would try Wolverine supplies, they are an AI dealer.

Pompey
10-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Can use a GOOD quality crescent wrench

Would u mind elaborate more?

Bergerboy
10-01-2016, 10:50 PM
Have you thought about getting one made?

Pompey
10-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Have you thought about getting one made?

Went to some local hardware stores, princess auto/homedepot .etc, in the past two days. The difficult is I have no idea how to drill a slot on a steel. dramel?

fps plus
10-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Are you talkin about the Sako A1 action ?

Full Curl Earl
10-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Accuracy International.

fps plus
10-03-2016, 07:56 AM
My mistake I thought you're talking about a Sako AI

Quinn
10-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Just order from states or from AI iteself if Wolverine doesn't have it.

260 Rem
10-03-2016, 08:40 AM
I am not familiar with the AI barrel change system...but think some models have a field change system that requires the barrel to be removed by hand. So, I am assuming the AWP model is not that variety? If that is the case, and the barrel has been torqued on at the factory, an action wrench that holds the action on the outside is likely necessary to break it loose?

gitrdun
10-03-2016, 08:56 AM
If I'm thinking of the right action. How about a round bar with a hex head from a suitable bolt welded on the end. Then, mill a slot to line up with the ejection port. Place a key in the slot made of flat bar, and torquing on the bolt with a 6 point socket. One of those could easily be made.

260 Rem
10-03-2016, 09:10 AM
If I'm thinking of the right action. How about a round bar with a hex head from a suitable bolt welded on the end. Then, mill a slot to line up with the ejection port. Place a key in the slot made of flat bar, and torquing on the bolt with a 6 point socket. One of those could easily be made.

I have googled the AI stuff and just can't seem to find much about the AWP model, other than the barrel installation being the conventional threaded variety. If that is the case, and it has been threaded on at the factory to 100+ foot pounds, an action wrench that uses the lug recesses may not be a good idea to try to break it loose? I know that style is not recommended for breaking highly torqued barrels loose because there is apparently potential to twist the action?

CaberTosser
10-03-2016, 09:14 AM
Went to some local hardware stores, princess auto/homedepot .etc, in the past two days. The difficult is I have no idea how to drill a slot on a steel. dramel?

Drill suitable diameter holes at either end of your markings that locate the slot, then join them up using a zip disc in a grinder. The action wrenches that showed up in a Google search looked like two pieces of round stock welded together and the flat bar slot on one.

Pompey
10-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Appreciate all your response.

260 Rem:
New AI model(AT/AX/AXMC) has this quick change barrel system, just need a allen wrench and a minute or two to get it done. AWP don't have this feature, it's a old model. One of the good things for AW is that you can change your barrel at home and only need 8~10 minutes if you got all tools. Just torque it to 100 ft/lb, everything will be good.

gitrdun,
That should be a good way. Trying to find a store to help me to mill slot.(have found a store who can help me to weld.) Any idea what kind of store can help to make/custom tools like this? Otherwise, buying from states, as Quinn/mass mentioned above, will be the easier way.

Pompey
10-03-2016, 09:31 AM
I have googled the AI stuff and just can't seem to find much about the AWP model, other than the barrel installation being the conventional threaded variety. If that is the case, and it has been threaded on at the factory to 100+ foot pounds, an action wrench that uses the lug recesses may not be a good idea to try to break it loose? I know that style is not recommended for breaking highly torqued barrels loose because there is apparently potential to twist the action?

"The Accuracy International receiver is bolted with four screws and permanently bonded with epoxy material to the aluminium chassis, and was designed for ruggedness, simplicity and ease of operation."

Following demo shows the whole process to change barrel. start from 7:48.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CHIKtBQyCUY

AW is designed to do this, so they can charge more than another model(AE).:thinking-006:

260 Rem
10-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Watched the video ....so it is a traditional switch barrel utilizing a rear port action wrench and a barrel vise. I have half a dozen actions and a few dozen barrels so am no stranger to the procedure. Matter of fact, I just brought a barrel home that had been turned down to a lighter contour and will be installing it on Rem 700 action shortly.
My procedure is to first apply an anti gaul compound to the threads, lock the barrel in the barrel vise, spin on the action, torque to 50 ft/lbs ...and double check headspace.

Pompey
10-03-2016, 04:47 PM
You're much knowledgable than me. Learned lots from you.:sHa_shakeshout:

yeah, you're correct, they're totally the same, except don't need care/set its headspace. Normally, we need a gunsmith to get involved to set it correctly, in its first installation.

260 Rem
10-04-2016, 12:13 AM
Yes, headspace remains constant as steel does not compress much:). But, I always double check it anyways as it is theoretically possible that after several change overs...things could change.
I think that most machinists/gunsmith types could make you a rear port action wrench. Probably cheaper to import the correct one. I would be very tempted to have the factory installed barrel broke loose by a gunsmith and after that, the changes will be much easier. As I mentioned, I torque my barrels to 50 ft/lbs. on Remington, BAT, Stiller, and Barnard actions.