PDA

View Full Version : 6mm sst or interbond question

Sitting Bull
10-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Hey guys I need some input please. I will be reloading for my Tikka T3 .243
I recently finished my box of Hornady 95GR SST"s. I have had no complaints with its performance . My question is what real life difference can I expect to see between a 95GR SST or the 85GR interbond in the field on game? I'm not clear on the actually performance of the bullet.
Thanks

Redrider
10-02-2016, 07:47 PM
I have shot half a dozen deer with 95gr SST, They were all lung shots. The far one ran was 30 ish yards. For deer i will keep useing them as they are tack driver in my gun.

double gun
10-02-2016, 07:53 PM
For big game I always stick with the good old 100gr partition.

Peebles
10-03-2016, 05:08 PM
There are two key differences between the SST and Interbond bullet. The first is the tip, which helps initiate greater expansion on the SST. The second is that the SST is not bonded, which can lead to fragmentation as the jacket peels away more easily.

When used on deer sized game both bullets are appropriate, but moving up to something elk or moose sized I think only the Interbond would be appropriate. Besides that either bullet should work so pick the one you prefer for other factors (price, accuracy, color, etc.).

The SST is closer in construction to the Interlock, but with the naming focus on branding instead of communication it's not always easy to figure out the features that really matter.

J0HN_R1
10-03-2016, 11:50 PM
I recently finished my box of Hornady 95GR SST"s. I have had no complaints with its performance . My question is what real life difference can I expect to see between a 95GR SST or the 85GR interbond in the field on game? I'm not clear on the actually performance of the bullet.
Thanks

You should try the Hornady 80gr GMX, or the Barnes TSX 85gr or TTSX 80gr..

They're the next bullet I'm going to work up a load for, but they're spendy... A buck a piece, actually a little more after tax. ($50 / box of 50 pcs)

Donkey Slayer
10-04-2016, 08:43 AM
I stopped using the sst in my 3006. I found they exploded too much with limited penetration. Went with a bonded bullet and ttsx Ttsx for moose elk and the bonded for deer and yotes.

dogslayer403
10-05-2016, 05:53 PM
If you have had good luck stick with them I like them myself they kill well, are accurate and are cheap.

Okotokian
10-06-2016, 10:03 AM
When used on deer sized game both bullets are appropriate, but moving up to something elk or moose sized I think only the Interbond would be appropriate. .

Agree.

Interbod designed for better penetration than the SST.

Similar to Nosler Partition/Accubond vs the Ballistic Tip

Nyksta
10-06-2016, 11:01 AM
SST is a fragmenting bullet with a polymer tip for better aerodynamics than simple round lead points. They are advertised as splitting/fragmenting quickly into multiple little peices that go in a fan out to shred as much tissue as possible and cause big blood zones damaging a large portion of everything near the impact point. But little peices are not always heavy enough to power their way through thick bone. Interbond have the same shape tip but are advertised as retaining more mass so you have a bigger chunk of lead penetrating and busting through bone. Potentially a smaller amount of tissue damaged, but if a leg bone is in the way of your bullet reaching heart or lungs, then this one will get there more reliably.

Jeron Kahyar
10-06-2016, 11:22 AM
SST is a fragmenting bullet with a polymer tip for better aerodynamics than simple round lead points. They are advertised as splitting/fragmenting quickly into multiple little peices.

Not sure where you are getting this information? They are not a fragmenting bullet. They are just simply an old fashioned cup and core style bullet. Yes at high velocity they may not hold up as well as a bonded bullet but they are not designed to fragment.

From Hornady's website (http://m.hornady.com/bullets):
SST® (Super Shock Tip)

Streamlined for ultra-flat trajectories our SST contains a polymer tip for rapid expansion and maximum energy transfer. The match-grade jacket delivers surgical accuracy while heavy construction with InterLock feature delivers deep penetration every time. Find out more...

Rapid, controlled expansion with deep penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000 to 3300 fps

GMX
10-06-2016, 11:54 AM
I've used the inter bonds in my 243 with great success but for me personally I've moved the Hornady's 80gr GMX. My dad hand loads them for us and have killed lots of elk and a couple of bull moose with them and have only recovered two of them ALL others have been complete pass throughs. Shot a few wolves with no pelt damage been a great round for my .243

Nyksta
10-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Not sure where you are getting this information? They are not a fragmenting bullet. They are just simply an old fashioned cup and core style bullet. Yes at high velocity they may not hold up as well as a bonded bullet but they are not designed to fragment.

From Hornady's website (http://m.hornady.com/bullets):
SST® (Super Shock Tip)

Streamlined for ultra-flat trajectories our SST contains a polymer tip for rapid expansion and maximum energy transfer. The match-grade jacket delivers surgical accuracy while heavy construction with InterLock feature delivers deep penetration every time. Find out more...

Rapid, controlled expansion with deep penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000 to 3300 fps

Quick expansion and maximum energy transfer = exactly what i described.

Jeron Kahyar
10-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Quick expansion and maximum energy transfer = exactly what i described.
You seem to be missing the part of "controlled expansion with deep penetration"

You are assuming when they say rapid expansion that it is fragmenting. No where that I can find does it say anything about fragmenting in the design.

The SST is basically a reshaped Interlock with a polymer tip. Very similar to a Nosler ballistic tip. Also similar construction (minus the tip) to Sierras Game Kings.

JD848
10-06-2016, 03:58 PM
If you have the time and place to experiment with all kinds of bullets and cronies ,that all find and dandy.If your not one of these guys read terminal ballistics and make up your mind or even better,go with a partition or and sst bullet.

Go hunting and don't fry your brain on what's right or better or can I get hole for hole groups or I only shoot a 1 inch groups because when things happen when you trying to kill your animal ,those tiny groups and all that stuff is history,so don't mess up things to where your sure or not sure because then you have a worst habit than a flinch ,you have no confidence in your self,make it simple,keep it simple and it will all be easy going.Enjoy your hunting and just getting out is worth it's weight in gold and killing is just a small part of it,so go out and enjoy and keep it simple.There is nothing perfect,but some guys will spend a lifetime to figure this out.

Smokinyotes
10-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Only klled a few deer with the sst. I have shot quite a few moose with the interlocks which is essentially the same thing without the tip. They all died as well. On the 4 interlocks ive taken out of moose and elk, all the jacket had seperated from the core.

shakeyleg02
10-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Ive killed a few deer with the 162 gr SST from the 7mm .had 1 wt buck head on at 80 yrds deer was DRT but the the bullet like vaporized ...i enjoy the meat too much to have that much waste ..have switched to a Speer bullet instead

super7mag
10-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Of the 2 bullets I would take the Interbond all day over the SST, for hunting ..
Punching paper the SST is cheaper.
If this rifle is your go to to hunting rifle the 100 gr Partition is in a league of its own in the 6mm class.

purgatory.sv
10-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Thanks

The Hornady edition # 9 page 87 indicates medium game for both projectiles. No real game result with these, but both will harvest an animal. To satisfy your curiosity do a load development with the 85 grains to see if it’s equal or better. The stats from page 87 give it an advantage but that means nothing unless it works well in your rifle.

Duramaximos
10-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Of the 2 bullets I would take the Interbond all day over the SST, for hunting ..
Punching paper the SST is cheaper.
If this rifle is your go to to hunting rifle the 100 gr Partition is in a league of its own in the 6mm class.
Agreed.

I triied hard to like 80 gr and 85 gr tsx and ttsx but I found them to be slow killers.

Finally gave way to the ribbing from my dad and rolled some "old technology" partitions. All other things being equal they killed much quicker....and that's important to me. Dad knew best.

I have moved on to bigger cartridges and have not revisited the tsx/ttsx. Based on all the rave reviews they get, I suspect they are not ideal for the small 6mm cartridges and better with others.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

gunner1911
10-06-2016, 10:40 PM
hornady 100gr. soft point. was super accurate in my last gun. new 243 is going to eat only 100 or 105 hpbt

JD848
10-07-2016, 12:34 AM
Ive killed a few deer with the 162 gr SST from the 7mm .had 1 wt buck head on at 80 yrds deer was DRT but the the bullet like vaporized ...i enjoy the meat too much to have that much waste ..have switched to a Speer bullet instead

So why shoot where your destroying meat,it was 80 yrds and zero other options beside blowen the meat all to heck,poor shot placement is the cause of 90 percent of shooters picking the wrong shot when other shots are easily there for the taken.

Nyksta
10-07-2016, 04:15 AM
You can have great shot placement and still have more meat damaged than you had hoped. A butcher has the luxury of having the animal controlled for a clean access to vitals. A hunter has to do this at longer range and by going through meat to access vitals. Any shot damages a bit of meat. If you have a quick expanding bullet then there could be a large area affected.

shakeyleg02
10-07-2016, 05:13 AM
So why shoot where your destroying meat,it was 80 yrds and zero other options beside blowen the meat all to heck,poor shot placement is the cause of 90 percent of shooters picking the wrong shot when other shots are easily there for the taken.

Ive used the 139 gr and 162gr has never mattered if it was thru the lungs or not the results were the same .on that deer it was the only shot available ..dont preach to me about shot placement i kno the preferred place ..thanx for the great input

dogslayer403
10-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Agreed.

I triied hard to like 80 gr and 85 gr tsx and ttsx but I found them to be slow killers.

Finally gave way to the ribbing from my dad and rolled some "old technology" partitions. All other things being equal they killed much quicker....and that's important to me. Dad knew best.

I have moved on to bigger cartridges and have not revisited the tsx/ttsx. Based on all the rave reviews they get, I suspect they are not ideal for the small 6mm cartridges and better with others.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Ive tryed to like them in larger calibers and found the same slow killers like long distance bow hunting. They always run a bit after.
They have their merit on large heavy game though I will admit

spinningchain1
10-07-2016, 11:26 PM
You should try the Hornady 80gr GMX, or the Barnes TSX 85gr or TTSX 80gr..

They're the next bullet I'm going to work up a load for, but they're spendy... A buck a piece, actually a little more after tax. ($50 / box of 50 pcs)

I would stay away from these myself, yes they do shoot nice but for the little differences in how they shoot vs. a sst the cost is not worth it.