PDA

View Full Version : Ot. Angled or straight eyepiece for spotting scope

fps plus
10-07-2016, 07:05 AM
I'm thinking of retiring my old spotter and am leaning towards the straight eyepiece rather than the angled. I have always used straight , any advantage of one over the other that I may be missing ?

gitrdun
10-07-2016, 08:09 AM
I like the straight eye piece for spotting game or whatever else in my travels because with a window mount, it's easier to use. However, I just purchased one with the angled eye piece for shooting bench rest. I also use a Bullseye camera for long range load development and practise.

mgvande
10-09-2016, 02:03 PM
I like angled. I don't carry a tripod so I lay down to spot. The angled eyepiece is better for that in my opinion. I have owned both.

Bushrat
10-09-2016, 04:40 PM
If your looking uphill the angled eyepiece is great, if your looking downhill its a pain. If your skylined you have to raise your head even higher to look through an angled eyepiece. Angled is great for sitting at the bench or prone shooting. Each style has its merits.

elkhunter11
10-09-2016, 04:54 PM
If your looking uphill the angled eyepiece is great, if your looking downhill its a pain. If your skylined you have to raise your head even higher to look through an angled eyepiece. Angled is great for sitting at the bench or prone shooting. Each style has its merits.

Some angled scopes have a rotating ring around the body that holds the tripod socket, so that you can rotate the scope so that the eyepiece is up, down, or off to one side or the other. My Kowa has this feature which I find quite useful.

Bushrat
10-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Some angled scopes have a rotating ring around the body that holds the tripod socket, so that you can rotate the scope so that the eyepiece is up, down, or off to one side or the other.

I haven't seen one of those yet, I think that would be the ticket. I probably couldn't afford it though.

gitrdun
10-09-2016, 05:04 PM
I haven't seen one of those yet, I think that would be the ticket. I probably couldn't afford it though.

Pretty well all of the angled scopes are made like that.

elkhunter11
10-09-2016, 05:05 PM

They aren't cheap, but it was cheaper than the Swarovski 80mmHD, and I preferred the Kowa. You loosen the knob on the ring, then turn the scope wherever you choose. I find it great for using the spotting scope with a window mount.

http://www.kowaproducts.com/_images/_products/xl/kowa-883-2.jpg

fps plus
10-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the info

Spotter on hold as I blew a part on my lathe today ,which is a priority .

MountainTi
10-10-2016, 05:33 PM

Swaro rotates as well.

I use 2 spotters. Angled for sheep hunting, straight for everything else