PDA

View Full Version : Winter Fly Fishing - Oldman

DustDee
03-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Well, I made it out for some winter/early spring fly fishing. I hit up the Oldman river just down from the dam. The water was really clear. The wind sucked. And I caught me a really nice rainbow! About 20"!! I took a picture, but it was on a crappy disposable camera and didn't turn out at all. The fish was a little skinny and didn't fight much, but it was the biggest rainbow I have ever caught!

So I think I found a new favourite place to fish in the early spring!!

Anybody else have any luck on this portion of the river?

npauls
03-28-2009, 01:40 PM
That is a really fun and interesting place to chuck a fly all year round. You should put your sink tip on and chuck a double bunny streamer next time you are there. Just make sure you are holding on. There is some nice big bullys in there.

Nate

DustDee
03-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I'll have to try that next time. I was pulling a green wooly bugger through there when I caught this one.

Scott N
03-28-2009, 02:36 PM
DustDee, I was just curious how much snow was in the area right now, more specifically towards the Porcupine Hills?

DustDee
03-28-2009, 05:10 PM
There was still a little bit of snow; kind of patchy. I don't recall what the Hills were looking like, but down in the river valley there were only a few patches of snow.

loopyalcsel
03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
I caught a monster brown there last year on an 8 inch rainbow rapala. Oh ya the hardware fisherman strikes again.

loopyalcsel
03-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I will be under highway 22 bridge on wednesday if u want to stop by for some lessons.

npauls
03-28-2009, 10:52 PM
I am thinking about heading out that way in the morning, I will make my final decision tommorow when I wake up. If anyone wants to join me just send me a pm and let me know.