PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff Pond

Team Corn
03-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi all,

I consider myself and the rest of my angling squad to be somewhat skilled at fishing, but we just got skunked at Cardiff Pond...again. All I hear is "lots of big rainbows", but I have yet to see any action.

Any advice on where and what to use would be appreciated (worms, trout bait, shrimp, dynamite, cheese, Washington corn?).

See you at the Crown & Tower!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi all,

I consider myself and the rest of my angling squad to be somewhat skilled at fishing, but we just got skunked at Cardiff Pond...again. All I hear is "lots of big rainbows", but I have yet to see any action.

Any advice on where and what to use would be appreciated (worms, trout bait, shrimp, dynamite, cheese, Washington corn?).

Ive always had luck on big rainbow in the spring , haven't caught any whoppers out of there threw the ice but I know damn right there in there. We have always used a hook , dew worm or maggots . Id never use corn as it can be and in most cases is lethal to the fish .

Buck Krazy
03-29-2009, 03:31 PM
I thought fish just didn't get nutrition from corn, it doesn't kill them.....

buckmaster
03-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi all,

I just got back from cardiff;fished from 1;00 to 4;00 and got skunked.Powerbait always works good at cardiff. BTW, the water smelt very bad after i drilled a few holes (rotten egg) not sure if this is from the coal mine that was once at cardiff.

hal53
03-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I just got back from cardiff;fished from 1;00 to 4;00 and got skunked.Powerbait always works good at cardiff. BTW, the water smelt very bad after i drilled a few holes (rotten egg) not sure if this is from the coal mine that was once at cardiff.
probably methane gas...and yes from the mines.....Starkey (mine) is not far from there as well

buckmaster
03-29-2009, 05:42 PM
probably methane gas...and yes from the mines.....Starkey (mine) is not far from there as well

Does the methane affect the meat at all in fish ?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-29-2009, 09:21 PM
I thought fish just didn't get nutrition from corn, it doesn't kill them.....

Do a little research And you ll find it , Kills them as it gets stuck in there Digestive system and there unable to digest it . Ill find the research on it , I had found from the last argument about Corn killing fish .

Sbrooks
03-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Wasn't cardiff a landfill dump back in the 70's?

With all the stuff we threw out those days(everything!) I would think twice before eating anything from there!

Oh and corn is a no no.

jts1
03-30-2009, 06:10 PM
As for the corn Sucram and I went to Chain last week. I got a little trout that was stuffed full of corn Right from his mouth to his anus could not have got 1 more piece of corn in the little guy. The piece in the back of his mouth was the same as the one coming out the back end. Zero digestion. Got me thinking The fish will feel full but has no nutrients can they starve to death with a full belly ?? Anyways it has sold me on not ever using corn again , I with the wide array of baits out there it dont make a difference to not use it And like Grammy used to say "Its better safe than sorry"

jrs
03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
"Id never use corn as it can be and in most cases is lethal to the fish ."

I don't want to hijack the thread but....
Search for an old post, its not true. If you feed trout a diet consisting of just corn they will not grow as fast as they would on a typical diet. If corn killed trout, laws would have been put in place 30 years ago restricting its use. I'd say its by far the most popular trout bait on the majority of the southern stocked lakes. I notice it's not as popular further north but the odd guy still uses it. They may have problems digesting it but it is not lethal (once again, how well do people digest that stuff). Biggest issue is it's so cheap lots of guys dump half the can down the hole to bring them in, highly illegal but i think that issue is very widespread.

As for the lake in question, buy the brand new Barry Mitchell's guide just out, there's an article about all the stocked lakes in that area that i found interesting even though i avoid the Edmonton area like the plague. May be of some help to you.

Nerdapres'
03-31-2009, 04:42 AM
The smell isn't from any mines or landfills. It's just the decaying vegetation from last year. A lot of small lakes get that smell late in the season.

Elk Chaser
03-31-2009, 07:40 AM
Go down behind the baseball diamonds on that section of the pond with your worms, mealworms, maggots, powerbait, marshmellows.

jrs
03-31-2009, 06:04 PM
If the water stinks you may want to try another part of the lake or another lake. Rotten egg smell is often a result of anoxic conditions under the ice (no oxygen). I think Nerdapres has hit the nail on the head. It can be localized but i have been to winter killed lakes where everywhere i drilled there was that pungent distinct odor. It can be from coal mines as well, or gas wells. Our coal in Alberta's really low in sulfur though so i'd think that's less likely. May be why there's no fish in that exact spot.

buckmaster
03-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Go down behind the baseball diamonds on that section of the pond with your worms, mealworms, maggots, powerbait, marshmellows.

Thats exactly where i was! i was using a jig with maggots and no luck although a few fellas that were beside me caught some decent perch!

huntin'fool
04-02-2009, 09:37 AM
The pond we have today was never a landfill. It used to be a strip mine back in the day and has now been filled with water. I would be surprised if that lake were to severely winterkill because of the depth. On the east side of the lake, behind the island, the water is up to 80 feet deep. That deep channel runs westward for quite a ways too.

Nerd is right, the smell is from rotting vegetation. The coal at the bottom of the lake is very low in sulphur and actually helps to filter the water (just like in an aquarium filter). The water quality is actually very good there.

The ice fishing has never been all that great for some reason (for me anyways). But like BBJ said, right after ice out, there are some pigs to be had. My best to date in that little pond is 2.5lbs but have seen and lost bigger. There are also some decent perch in there too, but most of them have lymphocystis.

Cal
04-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Dammit, can we quit arguing about the fricking corn thing, in one year I've seen the same statistics pulled up about 3 times. Someone says they caught a fish that was bursting at the seams full of corn and then someone drops the hatchery fish eating nothing but corn bomb and puts an end to it, why then do we still have the same guys bringing this ******ed theory up again every couple months? THEY FED THE FISH NOTHING BUT CORN AND THEY LIVED.

Tony_S
04-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Dammit, can we quit arguing about the fricking corn thing, THEY FED THE FISH NOTHING BUT CORN AND THEY LIVED.

Yup....

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm

They just had to grunt really hard when they took a .......;)

Team Corn
04-05-2009, 10:05 PM
I started this thread just to find out some more info on Cardiff pond. The whole corn thing was kind of a joke (you'll notice I also asked if dynamite works), but it turns out all this chat has educated myself and a few others on the topic. Corn does not actually kill or harm fish - case closed.

Maybe I need some help from the Green Giant next time I hit Cardiff Pond.

Morph1
04-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Maybe I need some help from the Green Giant next time I hit Cardiff Pond.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: - good one ... :lol:

Fishmaster
04-06-2009, 08:09 PM
My parents live in morinville so ill be fishing thaat crazy but 2 yrs ago used to fish cardiff every couple days and then started flyfishing got a floattube and waders but need to buy flippers, but summer time every 15 mins no longer you would be reeling them in like nothing, but then i tried ice fishing and i went out once a weekend ice fished different spots everytime and i caught fish bout 5 times and everytime was in one general area. when you walk out on the dock they have there the island infront of u go directly on the other side of it, drill a couple hole from shore out every 5 ft because it drops of like crazy and thats the only area i caught rainbows in ice fishing on cardiff.