PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton bow zone thief

kw12
10-18-2016, 11:44 AM
I have been hunting and scouting the same area all season and have put a trail camera up early August for some scouting. I have seen a few hang on stands that looked like they have been untouched so I figured it would be okay for a camera to go up. I have been hunting that section since the beginning of the season without seeing anyone until it got cold now I have seen some vehicles in there and have met a couple people. I went in yesterday and went to check my camera cause it hasn't been checked in a couple weeks and what do you know it's now gone. With the snow on the ground I see the tracks so I know it has been taken in the last week or so. If anyone hunts east of Edmonton and has my camera could you please return it to the tree were you found. I'm not made of money and am not too pleased to take a 200 dollar hit. Thanks

albertabighorn
10-18-2016, 12:06 PM
Im guessin its some POS that wont be on this forum .

buckbrushoutdoors
10-18-2016, 12:19 PM
Ask the landowner who has permission. Should be easy to nail down

kw12
10-18-2016, 01:21 PM
Its a grazing lease and I have contacted them but they have said that there are lots of guys that hunt it. I know I probably should have thought twice about putting one on a grazing lease but seeing those stands and I also found another camera that wasn't touched I thought I would be safe. Guess not!

TimeOff
10-18-2016, 02:11 PM
I lost one in 248 last year as well. I guess if you leave anything in the bush, you can expect it to disappear. Sad state of society these days i'm afraid!

Opa
10-18-2016, 03:02 PM
Arsehole line of thought - why buy when you can help yourself for free!!!! No further thought - I see it, I want it, and will now own it. I have had lots of "stuff" stolen out of the bush, that probably was of no value to anyone but me. Unfortunately these are the times that we live in, and have to cope in some way, shape, or form.:angry3:

Mike_W
10-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Its happens sucks when it does I had a brand new one go missing in Feb.......skidoo tracks through a trail and they spotted it .

58thecat
10-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Buggers just hope they have a rash of bad karma coming thier way.

albertabighorn
10-18-2016, 05:43 PM
It seems to be a regular thing these days. Sad to see.

Skurd
10-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Hopefully not the same spot I have my stand on !! Sorry to hear man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BADBOY
10-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Hey fellas, Im not trying to be an ass here but do we lock them up. Bike cables work great to save your investment,sorry for the loss.:angry3:

kw12
10-18-2016, 10:33 PM
Yes it had a lock box on it but that didn't stop them.

BADBOY
10-18-2016, 11:01 PM
How does a lock box work, do you screw it to the tree or do u put a cable around the tree and through the box, not familiar, I use bike cables on mine. So if they want it they will either cut the cable or cut the tree down. So far Ive been lucky, seen lots of faces on mine.

DRE75
10-18-2016, 11:08 PM
Honestly a lock cable or box isn't gonna do much, maybe make them work a bit for it, but even then... meh.

Sucks, I can't stand spending good money on stuff, especially when I work hard for the money I get to keep and stuff like that happens, sorry to hear.

freeride
10-18-2016, 11:17 PM
A lock makes the honest man think twice. If they want it its gone no matter what.
I bought some that take a cable through and have done that. But really I have only ever seen 2 people on mine, neither person looked like they saw it either.

I did spot one a few weeks ago that wasn't locked up. I made a face to it, and I keep checking to see if someone posts the pic on here. Lol.

Xiph0id
10-19-2016, 07:59 AM
That's a shame. There is a public land I hunt where regularily walk past several cameras.

No locks or nothing. Thankfully for him, I just wave! Although I'd love to check the cards! :)

Mike_W
10-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Hey fellas, Im not trying to be an ass here but do we lock them up. Bike cables work great to save your investment,sorry for the loss.:angry3:

I use python locks ...the lock was still on the tree when I got there so I'll assume they just broke where the python lock hole are ....camera was a bushnell aggressor.....it was a solid brown camera which I think made it easy to spot.

bonecollector10
10-19-2016, 09:22 AM
I got tired of cameras getting stolen, sucks being patient waiting a few weeks to hike in and its gone.

I put them in a bear box, lag bolt to the tree, air craft cable around the tree then type ten lock. If they can get the camera this way then they clearly needed it more then I do.

Bonescreek
10-19-2016, 04:42 PM
Sorry about your loss, was not like this 20 - 25 years ago. It is today.

Brings up a good question tho, do you take a chance and put high doller stuff
out in the field and leave it there ?

I ask the same question myself every time I set up the blind or put out a camera.

Many times I haul the "stuff" in and haul the stuff out just because it might
get gone.

Maybe I have too much stuff ? Sometimes I ask this question.
Supposed to be fun not a burden right ?

Sometimes I have to ask myself these questions.

Most offen the reply myself gives me is "Too damn many people."
And I say to my self, I must be hunting in the wrong place.

My self replies "You have too much stuff."

Don_Parsons
10-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Same for our area.

Everything has to be locked or its gone the next day.

I thought about doing a few trail cameras, but not now.

They would be gone even from our own posted land, poor camera would never stand a chance on Crown land.

Guess I'll stick to normal harvests ways. Crappy that society has changed.

Don

Yaha Tinda
10-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Unfortunate, I have only "lost" one and have been using them since the first cams came out. I get pics of hunters as they walk by or discover my cam as they look for a place to hang theirs. One chap even spotted my cam 30' up a tree! I don't use locks or boxes and have a several cams on public lands and leases.

Agree, the bushnell aggressor's stick out like a sore thumb! I have resorted to camo paste, mud and a camo string instead of the strap, to try and hide them.

KBF
10-19-2016, 09:37 PM
I suppose with also with economy and job loss these are possibly some ways guys are looking to maybe make any kind of money. Or maybe just rotten people. I've been lucky. I have been putting up cameras in the forestry for about 4 yrs and have had several people just smile and wave. Hopefully won't lose one. I have stuck to the $75 Primos 35 cam for this reason.

Getemclose
10-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Probably why they haven't taken your cameras lol. They only like ones that are worth more money apparently lol.

Naoscaire
10-23-2016, 03:54 AM
That is a pretty frustrating thing which I have heard happening a lot more lately, sorry to hear it!

raw outdoors
10-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Nock on wood i have not lost one yet. Im sure it will happen some day. I don't lock them because the little plastic tab with the hole to lock to the camera can just be snapped off and the cables around the tree really makes them stick out. I have always put mine extra low right next to the ground surrround them with grass and moss make them there own little guille suit. Then i tilt the camera up slightly with a stick behind to get a better field of view in my pictures. Or i use a screw and attach it to the tree 15 feet up then angle the camera down. Not many humans ever look up. I have tons of pictures of guys boots walking right past my camera down low and not messing with it. I also have just as many pictures of people walking under my cameras in the tree and never noticing it. If you want PM me and i can take a picture of the adjustable mount i made to put any camera with a tripod thread up in the tree and angle it down for pictures.

BigRackLover
10-26-2016, 08:27 AM
Sorry about the POS taking your stuff.

metal bear box, 4x 3" screws, locked! Hopefully I never lose one. I did lose one once in the bowzone, but it wasn't locked, private land to boot!

When I find a camera I make funny pictures or just say hello.

xterratitan
10-29-2016, 08:21 AM
I have not had a camera go missing since I've invested in lock box's and locks

I drill the plate into the tree , put the camera in and put a cable lock around the tree and through the box.