PDA

View Full Version : What Bass Pro is missing...

nicemustang
03-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Well I've been there three times and have finally made it through the whole store and down every aisle. I noticed a few things missing, although I can't be 100% sure if they are there yet. Anyone else find anything missing?

1. No bait.
2. No buzz bombs.
3. No sausage press (although the meat prep department is awesome)

kostianych
03-30-2009, 09:17 AM
I was there yesterday and they had bait freezer right at the exit, next to checkout...

jeprli
03-30-2009, 09:32 AM
No Pacific Bay or Lamiglass Salmo/steelhead rods!!!??? Why are they impossible to get in Canada???(i can find blanks, but not the actual rods)

skain11
03-30-2009, 10:18 AM
1. not a very good selection of light gloves for the cold weather fly fishing
2. No licensed lounge ( but then we would never have a reason to leave)...

However the mounts and decor is almost museam like...even my 10 yr old daughter thought it was awesome...of course the ice cream helped....

nicemustang
03-30-2009, 10:34 AM
And I forgot one, no bait master bait pucks. I want one of those....

Waxy
03-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Overall, I'd say the selection was pretty good, they have just about everything a guy could want, but if I had ot make a few suggestions -

1. No bulk items - jigs, spinner tying components, plastics, etc...

2. Their selection of scented baits was OK, but I expected better. They had very little Gulp Alive and almost no swimbaits.

3. Crankbaits - they were putting out more while I was there, but the selection wasn't great, there were a lot of pretty basic cranks they didn't have.

4. I was hoping to see more of the BPS Walleye stuff that Kavajecz and Parsons put out - from the jigs to the rods - there wasn't much of it.

5. ORGANIZATION - As best as I could tell, I think stuff was organized by manufacturer. I'm not used to that. I think it's a lot easier to have all the crankbaits, spoons, jigs, etc... grouped together, rather than spread out throughout the store. Just my opinion of course, but I found it kind of annoying.

Waxy

Rob
03-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Let me start by saying, it's an awesome "one-stop" store, but i was disappointed at the lack of "big-game/ musky" lures. I took about a 10 minute spin through the store, and yes I know there are no Musky in Alberta, but was disappointed to not see atleast one isle dedicated to "Big Game." - IE: Bull Dawgs, the full line of Suick/ Cisco Kid's, Grandma lures etc. etc.

Unfortunately most Bass Pro Shops tend to focus on whatever species is found in the store location's province/ state (compare the Toronto store to our's or the Vegas store), but if you target trophy pike in Alberta like i do, then we got stiffed.

These specialty lures are hard to come by (except Suicks and Ciscos), and most often have to be ordered. Having visited the Toronto store, and seeing their selection of Big Game lures, I can only hope our store isn't finished yet.

A good place for the "new isle" would be in place of the bass lures - which i'm sure alot of guys use to target everything but bass.

Lastly, the other thing I noticed (and yes this is picking pepper out of fl! sh!t) was the size our our aquarium. I expected to see the same standard across the board (most other stores have an aquarium 10 times the size with every species you can imagine) but again, we came up short.

At the end of the day.....it beats MY store.

skain11
03-30-2009, 01:42 PM
one other weird difference....each individual fly had it's own tiny price tag with a bar code attached on it, and prices varied per size and style( nymph, streamer etc)...somewhere in a small sweaty Kenyan village, children are attaching the tag to each fly, now if we could only get them to clip the barbs at the same time....

tbosch
03-30-2009, 01:46 PM
one other weird difference....each individual fly had it's own tiny price tag with a bar code attached on it, and prices varied per size and style( nymph, streamer etc)...somewhere in a small sweaty Kenyan village, children are attaching the tag to each fly, now if we could only get them to clip the barbs at the same time....

I noticed that too. Those tags are a little bit of a pain in the a**.

chuck0039
03-30-2009, 01:49 PM
They are missing an Edmonton location :(:(

It will be a few more weekend before I can make it down to check out the new store. Can't wait

Rigg dogg
03-30-2009, 02:29 PM
I stopped in @ the BPS in Orlando last week when I was down there.
I kind of expected more, there sure wasn't any real DEALS to be had.

Prices were about the same as around home but in US $$.

They had the Garmin 60CSX on sale for 399$$ our sports shop at home has them on for 399$$ regular price CDN$$

Like some of the other threads mentioned they have a great selection of clothes. Picked up a few things, good selection of Big Guy stuff.

Have to take a drive down and check it out after the Grand Opening.

gunman300
03-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I stopped in @ the BPS in Orlando last week when I was down there.
I kind of expected more, there sure wasn't any real DEALS to be had.

Prices were about the same as around home but in US $$.

They had the Garmin 60CSX on sale for 399$$ our sports shop at home has them on for 399$$ regular price CDN$$

Like some of the other threads mentioned they have a great selection of clothes. Picked up a few things, good selection of Big Guy stuff.

Have to take a drive down and check it out after the Grand Opening.

I also noticed they had the Spot GPS tracker for $169. London Drugs has them for $116. Garmin Etrek $119, Walmart $99. Nice store but most things you can get for much less elsewhere.

llmitch
03-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I have not had the opportunity to visit the new store yet although I have been in the one in Mesa, Arizona a few times and it was awsome. The Mesa store had a huge fish tank with EVERY type of game fish in the state. Do they have any golf equipment as the one in Mesa did but the prices were much to high comapred to Golf Town or Nevada Bobs. Hope to get down in a couple of weeks.

nicemustang
03-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Yes, I forgot about the hallow body swim baits...didn't see any of those which are now my favorite to use in certain situations...

Sandalius
03-30-2009, 05:02 PM
I noticed something - while looking around the store and all the mounts they have. I didn't see a cougar mount anywhere - maybe I missed it, not sure. There were a few piddelly little things that I couldn't find - maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.... LOL
I'm thinking that I have a new favorite store....... wooo hooo
WSS can KMA !!!

barbless
03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
What store location are you talking about. As far as I know the Calgary area location does not open till Apr.7/09. When I go I will be just like a kid in a candy store. Great comment about the lounge. Sure would help on a Sunday afternoon.

Bear
03-30-2009, 06:42 PM
What store location are you talking about. As far as I know the Calgary area location does not open till Apr.7/09. When I go I will be just like a kid in a candy store. Great comment about the lounge. Sure would help on a Sunday afternoon.

The Calgary store has been open since Wednesday. Its open 9am to 10pm. Fill yer boots.

As for what it is missing is me. I live too damn far away.

jeprli
03-30-2009, 08:20 PM
I believe there is a whole isle of hollow swimbaits, as far as I've seen. Still they're missing the good stuff like Fathead sr and fathead jr, falcon swimbaits...

Who needs 6 racks of crappie/panfish rods :tongue2: ?!?!?!?:scared:

Not such a great selection of spinning reels as I expected, casting reels on the other hand are plentiful and good quality.

I think they need a lot of sorting out to do before they can be seriously competitive with other stores.

It ****es me of that company is from the US, and US is pretty much at the top when it comes to rod craftsmanship and quality, why are we only getting Chinese stuff(no offense to Chinese people but quality sucks), same thing with reels all Taiwan, China, Philippines... I wouldn't complain about japanese.

All in all WorldWideWeb is still the greatest, and I love to show up with stuff that no one else has even if it costs a little extra, individuality is the key to success in fishing :lol::ashamed:

HerdBull
03-30-2009, 08:27 PM
They do have Buzz Bombs and Bait.... I missed the bait on my first 3 visits, found it on the 4th. Can't speak for the press though...

What I think they're missing, is Ice Fishing stuff. Didn't see any rods, tip-ups or tents etc. Maybe cuz the season is about over? I dunno....

flower
03-30-2009, 08:37 PM
You would think that thye would have drift boats....why is that? Alberta has lots of good drift boats rivers yet they do not sell them there? Instated they have ski boats and bass fishing boats? I think they are missingth boat..HAHAHA

Bushmaster
03-30-2009, 09:12 PM
You guys are a tough sell !!

They haven't been open a full week yet and already you're at their throats.

big zeke
03-30-2009, 09:26 PM
On a quick trip thru on Friday I was struck with a few things missing (like most of their reloading supplies). Every time I asked the staff, they mentioned that shipments were still coming in and a lot of what I was asking for would be arriving soon. Keep in mind they really are targetting readiness on Apr 7 so to judge beforehand is premature.

One thing I did like was the amount of staff and their helpfulness. Every dep't was very good, maybe not a ton of experts but their attitudes were excellent. I was looking for a specific fuel flow sender for my boat network, the one fella in the Tracker dep't was great taking my contact info down and then calling me back the next day with info on what they could order in.

Initial impressions is that BPS is halfway between a museum exhibit (with all the mounts etc. ) and a Walmart. Tons of stuff but truly unique (or very low volume) things were in short supply. Overall still an excellent addition to the marketplace.

Funny thing, WSS has a sale running right now (Mar 30 - Apr 5, I think). On a quick stopover today the 2 guys from the fishing desk were very good (best I've ever encountered at WSS). Could their attitudes be changing or did I just stumble on the only 2 good guys?

For me the jury is out until at least early summer.
Zeke

DoubleUD
03-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Well I can finally go back to purchasing hunting and fishing equipment again!! I have boycotted WSS and Russels for the better part of 6 months in anticipation of BPS. I am going tomorrow and can't wait to be treated like a "customer" again... won't it be nice not to have snied remarks tossed my way every time I ask a question... and service people that actually have a concept of service. I have visited many large chain stores in the states and they truly grasp what service is and I am looking forward to this being brought north.

barbless
03-30-2009, 09:31 PM
I guess with all the hype around the opening of the biggest, the best, the latest and the greatest of sporting goods stores, it doesn't quite match the expectations of all. I'm sure at some point in time the public will tune in BPS to what is to be stocked on the shelves. Besides, their GRAND OPENING is not for another 6 days.

d bowhunter
03-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Went down to get a pack, they had some nice packs but nothing big enough to hold a elk hind. After checking prices russels was cheeper, nice store though.

TreeGuy
03-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Judging by the 'reviews' on a store that is not yet officially opened or stocked, it's no wonder the retail staff at WSS et al. have bad attitudes.

Tree

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-31-2009, 01:39 AM
They are missing an Edmonton location :(:(

It will be a few more weekend before I can make it down to check out the new store. Can't wait

Let Calgary have bass pro shops bring us a Cabelas...Or sportsmens warehouse

merk1
03-31-2009, 06:30 AM
Awsome store, almost to big to see everything in one visit. Prices on most stuff seem to be ok. For most of my fishing stuff I think I will still support the fishin hole, hate to see them knocked out of the picture. The one thing I did not see was a big grizzly mount. Bass Pro is by far the nicest store I have ever been in, my 6yr old agrees I could not get her out of the store, what surprised me is it was only quarters that went in the shooting range, no toonies.

wolf
03-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Visited BassPro for the second time yesterday, bought bunch of stuff for fishing, some items were cheaper than wall-mart.

nicemustang
03-31-2009, 08:53 AM
You guys are a tough sell !!

They haven't been open a full week yet and already you're at their throats.

We're not at their throats, but if they wanted to please the crowd by good feedback, they should read this post. Since they didn't have a comment card when I was there the last time, how else are we going to get more stuff. They don't have everything...

chuck0039
03-31-2009, 08:57 AM

I wish they would open something here. I have heard rumblings that Cabelas is looking at opening in either Calgary or Red deer.. I keep looking but yet to find any truth to this.. One can olnly hope they decide to build close to Edmonton

whitetailnut
03-31-2009, 05:42 PM

I doubt you'll see a sportsmen's warehouse. They filed for bankruptcy.

brianscott
03-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Its missing its own exit off of the highway, it would save all that extra driving.

I am coming from the south so I have to double back off of the exit N of the mall.
IMO we need a seperate entrance/exit for all the northbound then southbound travellers

chrysnel
03-31-2009, 09:33 PM
We're not at their throats, but if they wanted to please the crowd by good feedback, they should read this post. Since they didn't have a comment card when I was there the last time, how else are we going to get more stuff. They don't have everything...

I'm pretty sure there are comment cards near the exits. If not, you can go to the customer service desk and let them know what you are looking for and it will be passed on to the 'decision makers' upstairs :). Unfortunately, most of the 'stock' decisions were made by the head office in the states, so they don't necessarily know what people up here are looking for. Keep trying, they'll get it eventually :)

automd05
03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Just got back from Spokane..Got to see Caleba's and Sportsman Wharehouse...With our dollar in the toilet..only came away with the best of deals...but found out UFA has bought out Sportsman Wharehouse and will all become Wholesale Sports...Can't wait to see BPS tomorrow to compare some
prices

calgarygringo
04-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Yes Cabelas is coming to to town. They are going out by Calaway park on hiway 1. Was talking to the guys at Woody's RV the other day and Woody and Cabelas are going to be building new big locations side by side out there. They are all just waiting for things to turn around before construction. Woody's is going to be something like 500k sq ft as well as the usual Cabelas.

jeprli
04-01-2009, 09:26 AM
That is great news, I mean for Cabelas, i'll definitely leave my money there!!!
Hope it happens!

bigjeff
04-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I think we can all take a deep breath and give em a little bit of a break. i talked to some kind of a section manager in the fishing section on Sunday and he had said that the selection of gear and inventory that they brought in was a cross section of the Toronto and Denver store for now.....They have a process that is ongoing but that has already started as far as bringing in local and specific gear. He did mention that the ice fishing section wasnt nearly as complete as they had hoped for, but for next season it would be killer.

I loved the store! glad to have it so close

ward25
04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
I was planning on going down next week for the big grand opening, got two gift certificates for xmas and they have been burning a hole in my wallet since then waiting for the opening, I was wondering, looking at the posts, if I should maybe wait a little bit until they get all their stock in, any advice from those who have made the trip?:)

skain11
04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I used my $100 gift cert last weekend, and then was told I still had $30 left on it?...turns out my wife bought it online at Christmas and it was USD...so am going back tomorrow...I suspect if you wait for the grand opening deals you will not be alone...sk

Wes_G
04-01-2009, 07:15 PM

If there is somethig in the store that you really think should be there, my guess would be to speak face to face with a department manager at the store, not post random comments on an internet bulletin board. You cant expect them to come looking for negative feedback.